なぜ?どうして?Finished!

The former one.

Structure: [Condition] + と + [Result].

4 Likes

Wow, didn’t realize this thread was on Japan time (I’m guessing?)… Here’s it’s evening of the 31st, and I hadn’t planned on starting until tomorrow… Well, at least all my questions will be answered by then lol!

7 Likes

Pg. 10
I have a couple of questions about this line:
おすしは、こどもたちから お年寄りまで、たくさんの 人に人気の、日本の 食べ物です。

What do から at the end of こどもたちから and まで at the end of お年寄りまで mean? It seems the phrase together is saying “from children to elders” so does that mean から and まで function similarly to how “from and to” indicate the extent of something?

I was also wondering what the の in 人に人気の means?

2 Likes

Yes, “from” to “to”. At least is how I would translate it. the other の is explained a few replies above. Basically it modifies the noun food: “popularity of japanese’s food”

2 Likes

If I’m not mistaken, から - まで can also be used with places, like From Tokio to Osaka

2 Likes

Oh! I must have missed the の note. Thank you!

おすしは食べ物です – sushi is food
おすしは日本の 食べ物です – sushi is Japanese food
おすしは人気の、日本の 食べ物です – sushi is popular Japanese food
おすしは人に人気の、日本の 食べ物です – sushi is Japanese food popular among people
おすしはたくさんの 人に人気の、日本の 食べ物です – sushi is Japanese food popular among many people
Then the subclause describes who these many people are (“from children to elders”)

26 Likes

I’m using the print version here. Looks like it’s asking what type of sushi I like in the first vertical column and making a few suggestions in the second vertical column. Goes on to describe a couple other types of sushi (not too familiar with the ya particle here)…looking up a few words I’m pleasantly surprised I managed to get the gist of what’s going on on page 10.

So for today, are we just discussing up to the sentence about “from children to elders…”? That’s where my p.10 ends, but I saw a post above that went further.

1 Like

I have a suggestion to make. How about we divide our book according to the chapters? Every single chapter has 4 pages, so we could decide to spend four days discussing one chapter before moving on to the next one.

This way we would be keeping the 1 (print) page per day pace; however, it would be much easier for both the people with physical copies and the people with ebooks to know exactly which section of the book we’re currently discussing.

EDIT: (The もっと知りたい sections, which are all only 2 pages long, could be discussed over 2 days)

EDIT2: No, they’re not all 2 pages long haha :sweat_smile: The 1-page ones we could just spend a day on :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

I’m having some trouble with the ebook copy as well, it seems like they end in different places and the page numbers are different too…

Since I’m very new to reading e-books, what’s a good reader for it? (I’m especially interested in a reader that could work on an tablet) :slight_smile: Recommendations are welcome!

@marcusp : Maybe you should outline here where the page starts and stops as the owner of the Reading Group :wink: Especially since different versions seems to start-end at different parts. That way everyone has a good orientation on where to take things from. Maybe as a post at the top of the Food Thread.

I’m still waiting on mine. However hoping to get it in the next two days :slight_smile: It arrived today in Germany after travelling from Japan to Shanghai haha Tho pretty quick so far as I just ordered this Monday.

3 Likes

Having the same problem here. Still 31st and everybody is already talking about the first page… panic mode on

2 Likes

No Panic, just gotta keep in mind that the reading will continue until March next year :wink: So enough time to catch up.

First time for me in a reading group as well, but am guessing that the discussions are not closed off as soon as the day is over :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

おすしはたくさんの 人に人気の、日本の 食べ物です

I am a bit confused about the たくさん. I cant find a proper translation for that. Google translate says it means “residential”

¿

EDIT:
Don’t mind me, I read it as takuchan not takusan. my bad :smiley:

5 Likes

たくさん means “many”:

May I just say, Google translate is not a very good tool for language learning. If you’re looking up a word, it’s probably best to use a dictionary :wink: I recommend Jisho - it allows you to easily search using romaji, hiragana, and kanji.

EDIT: Shoot, I took too long :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

thanks. ya using jisho as well. doesnt help if I mix up my hiragana :wink:

yep yep it sure doesn’t :laughing:

This reading group is a global event with participants in many different time zones - marcusp chose to do what many of this forum’s reading groups have done and start each new discussion at 0000 JST (zero hundred hours / midnight).

2 Likes

I stumbled over たくさん as well, care to add it to the google doc vocab?
(I assume that’s what we are doing when stuff isn’t there yet, right?)

You could do that too - everyone is welcome to edit the doc.

3 Likes