なぜ?どうして?Finished!

Yeah, same problem. Will have to wait another hour or so for lunch break to begin reading. This thread is now moving fast and furious.

We’ll be on this page for 24hrs, and then there will be an overlap / staggering of pages over a few days (I suspect that is more-clearly described in the OP)

3 Likes

Oh yes I know that I have plenty of time and by the time I get back home almost everything will be answered so I am not worried. I just wanted to be ready but I didn’t consider the time difference. Where I am, it’s another 7 hours until November :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Indeed.

Nov 1st - page 10
Nov 2nd - pages 10-11
Nov 3rd - pages 10-12
Nov 4th - pages 10-13
Nov 5th - pages 11-14 and then four pages at any one time all the way till next March!

And though the thread may be furious now, it’ll soon settle into a nice pace, for sure!

(Please keep on topic everyone, future readers of this thread will thank you for it!)

6 Likes

Haha, I just happened to be looking at the forum and had my iPad with me. It’s Halloween for me for another 12 hours.

Edit: Sorry for derailing things before! I hope I can help a lost e-reader user down the line.

4 Likes

Page 10:

I’ll keep going:

おすしは、こどもたちから お年寄りまで、たくさんの 人に人気の、日本の 食べ物です。

I would translate it as:

From children to elders, sushi is a very popular japanese food

7 Likes

Page 10

外国にも、おすしは あるの?
Can anyone explain the use of particle も after the first word and の at the very end of the sentence?

1 Like

も = also
の = casual question ending particle

6 Likes

外国 - foreign countries
に - in
も - also

Here’s the link for も in Bunpro.

1 Like

My translation would be:

Sushi is japanese food popular with many people, from children to the elders

7 Likes

も is being used to say ‘also’ for a phrase like ‘Also in foreign countries’.
For your question about の Tae Kim 3.11.5 page 74 covers this:

However, since the declarative 「だ」 cannot be used in a question, the same 「の」 in questions do
not carry a feminine tone at all and is used by both males and females.
• 今は忙しいの?
Is it that (you) are busy now? (gender-neutral)

It’s basically just a question marker.

Another Tae Kim link:

Instead of 「か」, real questions in casual speech are usually asked with the explanatory の particle or nothing at all except for a rise in intonation, as we have already seen in previous sections.

1. こんなのを本当に食べる?
    Are you really going to eat something like this?
  2. そんなのは、ある
    Do you have something like that?

http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar/question#Questions_in_polite_form

6 Likes

Page 10
In 人気の - why is the の over there?

1 Like

Edit: Post was wrong. Mistake fixed and explained below.

1 Like

Page 10

I’m really lost with the following phrase:

すを まぜると ごはんが 長持ちするので、むかしから よく 食べられてました。

What does the すを at the beginning mean?? and also the rest of it… I see rice/meal, a lot, and a weird form of ate… :frowning:

4 Likes

す means vinegar in this case I think. Since you use vinegar to make sushi. Kanji is 酢. を is just direct object particle.

2 Likes

Wait, not the other way round?

Japanese food of popularity (=popular)

Same as メアリーさんの本 is Mary’s book (book of Mary), not Mary of the book

2 Likes

Edit: Ignore me. Missed the comma after the first の.

Wait wait, now I’m even more confused. Now I think that, as per my example about Mary, it would be “popularity’s food” like you first said.
EDIT: Ignore the panicking, popularity’s food is the same as food of popularity, duh

How does the comma change that?

2 Likes

So the full sentence is:

人に 人気の、日本の 食べもの どす。

So the comma is splitting up the sentence into phrases. The popularity part is not modifying the words after the comma, no?

So wouldn’t this actually be more like:

Japanese food is popular with people.

Or more literally:

popular with people, japanese food is.

5 Likes

I think the comma is just there to separate the two modifiers which both refer 食べ物 (i.e. so it’s not modifying 日本, or something).

But your translations made everything a lot clearer. I panicked there for a second :sweat_smile: Thanks!

Obviously, the の serves to change a noun (i.e. 人気) into another noun’s modifier, just like with 日本 → 日本の

4 Likes