なぜ?どうして?Finished!

Ah i finally bought a membership! Now I can slowly catch up some Kanji over the months and hopefully help myself to read at least few more words in the book! Starting so soon, I’m excited! :smile:

4 Likes

Me too, it’s gonna be awesome! I tried to check out some of the readers on White Rabbit, but I just don’t want to read fables… Give me real world stuff! This book looks like just the ticket.

4 Likes

Hah, that’s just typical. I popped into Kinokuniya on Sunday to see if they had it, but it was sold out. Hopped on to the website now to order it, and they’ve now got copies in-store…

5 Likes

it’s almost time to start the book reading… can’t wait :smile:

by the way, i saw this in one manga
ラヴァーズ how the heck do I read this? I didn’t even know I could write ウ with an " til I saw this one :sweat:

sorry for the off topic question…

1 Like

ヴ is more v sound
Rava-zu
Um… I’m not completely sure, but could it be “Reverse”?
Since it is katakana, they are trying to make some loan words (more likely than not at least, there are some exceptions)

2 Likes

Could it be “lovers”??

2 Likes

Jisho.org lists it as lovers. To type it you need to type r a v a ー z u

1 Like

I got the sound right, but it can be so hard to guess these :rofl:

I like to play “whats that word” with friends, where I read katakana words for them and they try to guess what the word is/supposed to sound like. Use a word list and chose the ones from English of cause.

3 Likes

Oh, I was planing to reply to this an hour ago, but got distracted =P
They sure take their sweet time to finalize the shipping though!
I noticed by chance that it was in stock a day ago, who knows how long it has been ready, yet they hadn’t shipped it yet :wink:

But since I forgot I now got the mail and it HAS been shipped, yay!!

“On average, it takes 2-6 weeks for delivery for this shipping method.
*May take up to 12 weeks”

May take up to 12 weeks!!!

O_o

Ok, so this is a WORST case scenario that probably never happens unless someone completely screws up, but still =P

I’m guessing I’ll have it in November =P

2 Likes

Yes I got an email just now to say mine has been shipped too. I think I chose the airmail option - says usual time is 5-12 days but can be up to 8 weeks!

2 Likes

Hello fellow japanese entusiasts! I’m asking you for some advice.

My Japanese is beginer beginer level, I’m about halfway trough Genki 1 and know some vocab (minus kanji) in addition to the first four lessons on wanikani… I’ve tried to read a children’s book before but it was way too hard for me. I’d like to hear some opinions on whether it makes sense for me to join this group or should I study some more before attempting something like that. Money is kinda tight for me at the moment so I would rather not spend it on a book I’m not ready to read just yet. And I’ve not more than an hour a day to dedicate to my japanese study.

Sorry it the question is stupid or vague, I’ll appreciate any opinion on the matter :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you follow the amazon link in the OP, you can have a look to decide for yourself how difficult it may be. There will be a lot of help here in the forum if you are on the fence about it.

3 Likes

oh so that is a v sound lol…

2 Likes

i thought it was also “Reverse” :sweat_smile:

You and @Micki was right :blush:

3 Likes

Since this group will be the easiest and slowest paced to date, we might end up going through every line of it together. So even if you couldn’t understand it on your own, you should be able to understand it with our help and be able to learn from it.

So I’d say it is worth it if you can afford it. But if money is too tight, just follow the conversation and see if you jump on later? We will be taking our time after all =)

5 Likes

Tbh you’re probably the only person who can answer this question :slight_smile:

Think about where you are with your Japanese studies right now (and in life in general) - are you feeling super motivated? excited for a challenge? struggling? burning out?

I’d say that at this stage in your studies reading native material is probably not a priority. It has great benefits, sure - but if it were to eat up a large portion of the time that you can dedicate to studying, maybe your time is better spent elsewhere.

Ultimately, I think the greatest advantage of reading an easy children’s book as a beginner is the joy and satisfaction it brings you. Being able to say to yourself - this is something actual Japanese people read and i can (kinda) understand it, motivates me to study more. If you think adding reading to your study routine might overstrain, stress out and demotivate you, maybe give yourself some more time before jumping into bookclubs.

But if you do feel up for a challenge, you’ll be sure to have plenty of support from all the nice WK folks :smile:

6 Likes

Where are you guys? I ordered mine on like Friday, and it’s supposed to be at my house by the time I get off work today.

1 Like

I am in huge debts :wink: (not literally, just very low on money =P )
So picked the cheapest place, even though they where back ordered, and the cheapest shipping, so it will come in “snail mail” (trucks and trains instead of airmail)

3 Likes

Hey @nunca13 I’m in the middle of chapter six of Genki 1 myself and I dind’t have too much trouble reading the first two pages (yes, I just couldn’t wait :grin:).
As @zuzu already mentioned it is a great motivation to read a “real Japanese” text and being able to understand (most of) it. You could take a look a t the first pages on amazon and then decide if you want to join us :blush:

Only one day to go! Yay!!

6 Likes

I received mine Monday. Shipping wasn’t free from Amazon (but it wasn’t free from any of your links so not that bad I guess) but I was surprised by the speed. I ordered that book last Friday.
So it took only three days to be sent to my town in France !!
Some things I order from France don’t come that fast at all x)

3 Likes