なぜ?どうして?Finished!

Nice one! Thank you!

1 Like

It’s not far off midnight… we’ve made it! The final page!

Before I start getting all teary-eyed and telling you all how wonderful you are, @emucat, do you have a translation for us…?

1 Like

Arghsss!! What was the last sentence? How the next one starts??

There are three paragraphs left… 水球, ゴルフ, and カーリング. And as the person who did the most to set the tone and pattern of this bookclub, with your wonderful sentence-by-sentence translations, I know (well, it’s already been said) that everyone here would be honoured if you could provide at least one sentence translation for the last page. We all owe you a lot of thanks emucat!

1 Like

Page 141

I’ll start off with the middle paragraph!

ゴルフ - golf

せかいの いくつかの 国が はじまりと 今のような スポーツとして 成立したのは イギリスの スコットランドです

せかいの - 世界, the world, + の
いくつか - (a) few; some; several
の - possessive particle
国が - countries + が
はじまりと - 始まり, origin; beginning​ + と
今 - now; the present time
の -
ような - like; similar to​
スポーツ - sports
として - as (i.e. in the role of)
成立 - formation; establishment, する-verb
した - する in plain past form
のは - no idea! (explanation particle and topic marker perhaps?)
イギリスの スコットランド - Scotland, in the UK
です - polite ending

Several countries in the world + origin + similar to now + as a sport + established + Scotland

Perhaps “Scotland established golf as the sport we see today and which is played in several countries in the world”

Last page, still lost! Lol! But much faster and better than I was back in November! Thank you everyone!

3 Likes

Here we go!! Please take into account I haven’t done any translation in a while and I haven’t read the chapter at all…

Page 141?

水球
さいしょは サッカーのように 足を つかって 水中で ボールを はこぶ きょうぎでした。この後、手で ボーツを はこぶ きょうぎに 変化し、今のような ルールに なりました。

Waterpolo :man_playing_water_polo:
To start, the way of (playing) soccer is by using the feet and the game of carrying a ball in the water。After this, it changed, and the rules became the to carry the ball with the hands

Sorry, I’m super rusty… help! :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

By the way, does this mean that the next book starts tomorrow???

Brilliant! Thank you emucat! And thank you again for everything you did for this bookclub. It would have not been the success it has been without all your work. I really appreciate it. Thank you so much!

4 Likes

No, I made a mistake somewhere and we finished a day or two early! Good thing really, I can start working on Shirokuma!

@Micki… can you do the final paragraph for us? After all, we’ve been relying on your wonderful and wonderfully consistent translations for months now! It would be so good if you could finish the book for us!

Page 141 - the final paragraph!

After all the unexpected topics in this book it seems fitting that we finish with the obscure sport of curling!!

I also love the fact that Scotland is such an obscure concept for 8 year olds in Japan that it always has to be referred to as part of the UK…

カリーング🥌
そこが 平らな 川の 石を、こおりの 上で すべらせる あそびを ヒントに イギリスの スコットランドで 生まれたと いわれています。今の ルールは、カナダで できました。

Curling. Played by sliding a smooth river stone over the ice (with a hint?), it is said that this game originated in Scotland in the UK. Today’s rules were established in Canada.

3 Likes

Thank you so much Micki! And thank you so much for all your work in this club! You have taught and inspired me so much, and many other people too I’m sure, and all with great humour and patience! I am deeply grateful to you Micki!

4 Likes

And with that, I’m off to bed!

It’s dangerous making a list of names in case I accidentally leave anyone out, and there have been so many wonderful people making so many great contributions to this club over the past 4 months that it would be simply impossible to name everyone anyway. So let me just thank each and every person who posted to this thread. We have created something that has been fun, supportive, fascinating and useful both now and for long into the future. Thank you!

See you all soon in the Shirokuma and Yotsuba threads!

8 Likes

Marcus, this book club has been amazing. Thank you for setting it up and picking a book that worked so well. I was stuttering along so slowly with the translations at the start of this book and I have learned so much along the way.

I’m making my first trip to Japan the first two weeks in April along with my wife and kids. Maybe you could recommend a good tour company in Tokyo…?

4 Likes

Brilliant! lol! With your Japanese, you ought to be guiding me! The first two weeks in April, wow, that is Peak Tokyo right there! You’re going to have a great time!

And for your next books, I’m sure you won’t forget, I’m sure it’s top of your list… have fun in “Book Off”!

2 Likes

Perhaps: Has its origins in several countries, but the sport as we know it today was established in Scotland, UK.

Glad you could join us for the last page! Not too rusty there! Here was my effort…

Water polo. At first this was a game similar to soccer using the feet to carry the ball in the water. Later, it changed to a game where the ball is carried in the hands, and developed rules similar to nowadays.

And now onto しろくまカフェ. Just read the first chapter on the train up from London, it’s going to be a very different read…

4 Likes

@marcusp Thank you so much for moderating this delightful book! There was so much packed into it with one surprising thing after another. Good call on this one.

Of course you’ve been moderating continuously since last July with にゃんにゃん and earned a well deserved break for awhile. おつかれさま!

I think one of the things which really made this group unique was the page by page translations being posted daily resulting in every sentence in the book being translated over more than a 4 month period. Pretty remarkable when you think about it.

I think this method really helped everyone out by showing that our own individual translations which we may have assumed to be correct were actually incorrect or needed improvement. Sometimes we can think that our own translations are correct and therefore there’s no need to ask any questions about it. This method also seemed to foster discussion of various grammar issues by examining every sentence in detail.

This all started with @emucat’s translation of the very first sentence 外国にも、おすしはあるの?He along with @Luacat kept it going daily for a long period until @Micki carried it to the end along with others joining in here and there to help out. A real community effort! I think one of the notable accomplishments in the annals of Wanikani history.

My thanks to everyone. You’ve all help me out immensely on this marathon journey.

My special thanks to @Belthazar. I started out learning the language on Textfugu several years ago and I have to tell him and everyone else what a tremendous help he was to me on the Forum there. He was a big help to not only myself but to hundreds (maybe thousands) of others as well. He basically was and still is the Forum there. No one else comes close. And of course he continues to help out me and others here on the Wanikani Forum years later. So I just wanted to say to you @Belthazar if you ever wonder if all your effort in helping out dimwits like me is appreciated or not, believe me it is. Thank you!

This is my 5th book group in a row so I’ll be taking a break after this. Sorry if I said anything to offend anyone. (I’m an American but please don’t hold it against me.)

8 Likes

I think you missed the third line: されていますが、

So I think it is: せかいの いくつかの 国が はじまりと されていますが、今のような スポーツとして 成立したのは イギリスの スコットランドです

2 Likes

Aww, thanks.

I’m not sure I’d be too impressed at my continued presence on the TextFugu forums, though, because they’re basically dead…

2 Likes

I agree with that. I hadn’t been in a book club before and I was surprised when I looked at other bookclubs that it doesn’t normally work like that. There was also something about the size and structure of this book that really lent it to line by line translations.

I can understand why Marcus didn’t try and thank everyone by name as there have been so many contributors it would be a shame to leave someone out. But as well as @marcusp and @emucat who really led this club with so much effort and good humour, we should thank you @trout, @Belthazar and @Saruko who all contributed so much. You all answered lots of difficult questions and spotted subtleties in the translations that others of us hadn’t seen, and hung in there to the end.

@Luacat did an awesome contribution with 100+ posts. @icenando with a monster effort to catch up and get involved again. @leebo often dropped by with a helpful comment (including when he was gently summoned by Emucat!). And when I was catching up with the early chapters there were lots of helpful posts by @zuzu. Finally, it was great having @frayderike joining us late on as our numbers were thinning!

8 Likes