なぜ?どうして?Finished!

Page 85:

北アメリカの メキシコから、南アメリカの エクアドルに かけて 生そくする バシリスクです。

The Basilisk habitat spreads from Mexico in North America to Ecuador in South America

この トカゲは、なんと 立って 水の 上を 走るのです。

How this lizard stands is to run onver the water I need help here

水の 上を 走るなんて、まるで にんしゃみたいですね。

[The way it runs on water is similar to ninjas. isn’t it?

5 Likes

Not really following this thread but happened to pop in and see this.
I would actually say you’re correct in this breakdown, you’re just missing that people often end a sentence with って while leaving the rest omitted. Here, though I don’t have the book, I’d imagine it’s something like って言われている!, meaning that “it’s said that…” or って聞いた “I heard that…”
Obviously the author would know factually and wouldn’t need to rely on “I heard…” statements, but if this the kind of kids book I assume it is, I think that would be a common way to say something anyway, especially in a dialogue balloon from a character or something. At least, it is in these types of books in English.

2 Likes

Somehow, this lizard stands, and runs on top of the water.

5 Likes

Thanks Belthazar, so the 立ってin its て form connects to the 走る to mean stands and runs.

Page 85 caption

長い しっぽと 大きな後ろあしを もつ バシリスク。

The basilisk, with a long tail and big back legs.

3 Likes

Many thanks for this QuackingShoe! I love it when someone completely unexpected drops by and answers a question!

2 Likes

Page 84

Thank you so much! It makes perfect sense in the context and completely answers my question! Thank you for popping in to the book-club and helping out like that! Amazing! Much appreciated!

2 Likes

(It’s not midnight yet, but I’m turning the page on the thread title a bit early tonight as I have to get to bed! Just letting everyone know so there’s no confusion. No need to reply, I’ll delete this message in the morning).

You are doing that manually? I thought it was a function of the Forum that would automatically do it!

1 Like

Page 86 - nearly at the end of the long nature section! A bit easier today, enjoyed this one.

体長は、およそ 六十~七十センチメートルあり、日本の トカゲより、大がたです。

It’s length is about 60-70cm, larger than a Japanese lizard.

水べの 木の 上で、虫などを とって 食べています。

It catches and eats things like insects from up in the trees at the water’s edge.

長い しっぽと おおきな 後ろあしを もち、 あしの 細長い 指の あいだに ひだが あります。

It has a long tail and large back legs, and there are folds in the gaps between the long, slender toes.

水の 上を 走る ときは、この ひだを 広げて、あしを うすい いたのように する ことが できます。

When running on the water, it spreads out these folds, and is able to make its feet into something resembling thin boards.

そして、この いたを すばやく なんども 水の 上に うちつけるので、しずまずに 走れるのです。

Then, by quickly and repeatedly striking these boards against the water’s surface, it is able to run without sinking.

6 Likes

Well, you’ve clearly got a pretty high impression of the capabilities of this forum. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Read the latest few chapters last night so I can be up to date again.
I’m actually enjoying this book quite a bit, probably because I feel like I can understand it on a basic level.

Also the picture in the previous chapter of the pig in the water was really cute.

2 Likes

Nope, every night, at midnight, I turn the page in the thread title and then go to bed (missing the real-time discussions, which happen while I’m snoring away in my pit! Next time I do a book-club I’ll set the page turn for 10am or something!). [And now I can’t delete the message as someone has replied to it!]. Cheers emucat.

1 Like

Page 87:

この トカゲは およぎも とくいですが、できから いそいで にげるときに、この わざを つかって 水面を 走ります。

Swimming is also a strong forte of this lizard but, since when it needs to be able to escape in a hurry it uses this running over the water technique.

オスの 頭の とさかが、ヨーロッパの そうぞうの 生きもの、バジリスクに にている ことから、この 名前が つきました。

It’s given this name because the crest of the head of the male looks like a basilisk, a Europe imaginary animal.

4 Likes

Try this そうぞう :wink:

生きもの = living thing; creature

そうぞうの生きもの = imaginary animal

3 Likes

That makes more sense!

I was going for imagination, but, Europe’s imagination living thing, and I was… what??

I’m going to edit the translation

2 Likes

@marcusp - Do you want to start turning the page at 10pm rather than midnight? That would be lunchtime in Europe and breakfast in America. I’d have no objection to a change of time. There’s only a few of us actively contributing regularly now and I think we all know when the next page discussion starts. I personally don’t rely on you turning the page, in fact I hadn’t realised you did this every midnight.

I know you don’t want lots of off topic chatter in the flow of the book discussion but as we are at the end of section this is perhaps a good chance. We are all appreciating your effort on this book club so much, it’s a shame if you feel you are missing out on the discussion!

3 Likes

Cheers Micki, that is very good of you! If it’s okay I will turn the page a bit earlier sometimes, just so I can get to bed a bit earlier! Thank you! I’ll even do it now! The only problem I foresee is people jumping the gun too early with their translations… just as I am about to do… lol!

1 Like

Page 88

もっと知りたい - I want to know more!
せかいの ふしぎな 生きものたち - the world’s amazing animals
エリマキトカゲ - frill-necked lizard (lit: scarf lizard)

おそわれそうになると, 首の まわりの ひだを 広げて, てきを おどろかす トカゲ. オーストラリアなどに います.

おそわれ - attacked
そうに - looks like
なる - to become
と - when
首の - neck’s
まわり - circumference, “around”
の - possessive particle
ひだ - fold, flap, pleat
を - direct object particle
広げて, - 広げる, to enlarge, in て-form
てき - 敵, enemy
を - direct object particle
おどろかす - to surprise, to frighten
トカゲ - lizard

A lizard which, when it looks like it’s being attacked, startles its enemy by enlarging the flaps around its neck.

オーストラリアなどにいます
It can be found in places such as Australia

6 Likes

It’s fine for me also.

I think we are only 5 that regularly post translations, and not even always around 00:00am Japan time.
For me, you can change the page whatever time you go to sleep, and I’ll try to post a translation around 00:00am. If somebody does it before me, it’s completely fine.

In a couple of weeks I’ll be in Hawaii for 2 weeks and I don’t expect to be able to post any translation… After that I’m moving to Europe, and who knows what my new schedule will be…

P.S. I know you don’t like off-topic post in this thread, but there aren’t that many posts per day that we would lost track… Also we should start thinking about the new book… as it might take some time for some people to get it physically. Do you want to start a new thread for that?

4 Likes

+1
I think that sounds like a good idea :slight_smile:

2 Likes