なぜ?どうして?Finished!

I am in huge debts :wink: (not literally, just very low on money =P )
So picked the cheapest place, even though they where back ordered, and the cheapest shipping, so it will come in “snail mail” (trucks and trains instead of airmail)

3 Likes

Hey @nunca13 I’m in the middle of chapter six of Genki 1 myself and I dind’t have too much trouble reading the first two pages (yes, I just couldn’t wait :grin:).
As @zuzu already mentioned it is a great motivation to read a “real Japanese” text and being able to understand (most of) it. You could take a look a t the first pages on amazon and then decide if you want to join us :blush:

Only one day to go! Yay!!

6 Likes

I received mine Monday. Shipping wasn’t free from Amazon (but it wasn’t free from any of your links so not that bad I guess) but I was surprised by the speed. I ordered that book last Friday.
So it took only three days to be sent to my town in France !!
Some things I order from France don’t come that fast at all x)

3 Likes

Thanks to everyone who replied :slight_smile: I feel kinda stupid for not noticing the preview on the Amazon site! I checked it out and it looks manageable, so I purchased the ebook and will be joining the reading group, yaaay :smile:

8 Likes

I finally was able to purchase the book! I don’t know if it’s exactly my level (I just approved N5) but I think it will be a nice exercise to get used to read in japanese.

4 Likes

The なぜ?どうして?せかいはふしぎ Reading Group is open! Thank you everyone for your amazing enthusiasm! All questions and answers are welcome, we are here to help each other. Please put the page number at the top of your posts. And let’s have fun!

Discussion of section one, food, starts here!

Opening Post
Section two
Section three
Section four
Post-book-club discussion

10 Likes

Is already the 1st of November in Japan?

1 Like

Yup! (Plus more characters…)

2 Likes

All right all right all right… let’s start from the beginning. I have the ebook one… so no pages for me. I’m guessing the first page is number 10 and it goes:

外国にも、おすしはあるの?

and my “guessing” translation is:

Do foreigners also have sushi?

3 Likes

Page 10

外国にも、おすしは あるの?

Nice one @emucat! I agree with your translation but I would say “foreign countries” rather than “foreigners”.

I also have a question from the very start! Looking through the book it all seems quite formal, so I’m surprised the question isn’t ありますか?Is あるの?just an informal version (in which case what is it doing here?) or is there something else going on here?

Anyway, thanks everyone, and just two bits of housekeeping - 1) Please put the page number at the top of posts if you can (it makes it easier to search later) and 2) please keep on topic!

6 Likes

right… foreigner would be 外国人

3 Likes

Not sure, but I’m guessing the change in register has to do with an adult ‘talking’ to children, where the use of ますか would be too formal and off-putting.

5 Likes

Page 10

I’ll keep going as I’m bored at work :stuck_out_tongue:

あなたは、どんなおすしがすきですか。

What kind of sushi do you like?

たまご? まぐろ? イクラ? のりまき? いなりずしや、ちらしずしもおいしいですね。

egg? tuna? salmon eggs? norimaki? inazushi and sushi rice in a box/bowl are also delicious, aren’t they?.

4 Likes
1 Like

Not so much onigiri, more like sushi roll.

1 Like

Why did I think it was salmon??? what is it? fish eggs in general?

1 Like

Oh man that looks good. I never knew what those where called

1 Like

So the food is called いなりずし, and the や is like “and”. Some call it “the vague listing” and it means “such things as”. Used for non-exhaustive lists. Here it is in Bunpro: .

2 Likes

I saw norimaki, and wrote onigiri, why???

2 Likes