なぜ?どうして?科学のお話 - Section 1 Discussion Thread, Page 39

I believe we are up to page 30 for today’s translation.

The title is modified daily to show what page number is due IIRC

3 Likes

Thank you! I know ところで but when I spot these things in the wild I never recognize them.

1 Like

Weekly schedule is on the main thread, you need to open the section, here is a partial copy, note that pages listed are for the older book edition, need to add 8 in your head:

Week Start date Pages Section
Week 1 Feb 1 pp. 8-15 からだのお話
Week 2 Feb 8 pp. 16-22 からだのお話
Week 3 Feb 15 pp. 23-29 からだのお話
Week 4 Feb 22 pp. 30-37 からだのお話
Week 5 Feb 29 pp. 38-45 からだのお話/生き物のお話1

As for dailies, I edit thread title at midnight Japan time, that’s the only thing we can edit, since the post is not a wiki.

4 Likes

Page. 31

では、どうして しゃっくりが おこるのか、その しくみを みてみましょう。

Then, let’s see the workings of how a hiccup occurs.

おへその 少し 上あたりに、どう体を むねの 部分と おなかの 部分に わけている [おうかくまく]と いう [きん肉] が あります。

A little above the naval there is a muscle called the diaphragm that divides chest and stomach.

ふだん わたしたちの からだは、おうかくまくを 上げたり 下げたりして、むねに ある [はい]
をふくらませんたり ちぢめたりしています。

Normally our diaphragm will rise and fall, the air in/of the chest swells and condenses.

I found this page pretty difficult, so I would not take my translations too much to heart :wink:

4 Likes

Thank you for the ‘muscle’ - I didn’t find that.
I think you missed something in the second sentence. I got:
おへその 少し 上あたりに、どう体を むねの 部分と おなかの 部分に わけている [おうかくまく]と いう [きん肉] が あります。

… diaphragm that divides the torso into chest and abdomen part.

For the last sentence I suggest:
ふだん わたしたちの からだは、おうかくまくを 上げたり 下げたりして
Usually our body raises and lowers the diaphragm, It inflates and contracts the “lungs” in the chest.

4 Likes

Oops, I’m blind.
Thanks

1 Like

Thanks @sansarret for going to the trouble of updating the thread name each night with the current page. As Zuzu doesn’t seem to be around to update the OP, I’ve added a page on the vocab spreadsheet with the daily schedule through to the end of this section. I don’t have a physical book, so I’ve used marcusp’s page endings to guide me. If anyone spots an error feel free to correct!

Here’s my translation of page 31

では、どうして しゃっくりが おこるのか、その しくみを みてみましょう。

Well let’s try and see the mechanism by which hiccups happen.

おへその 少し 上あたりに、どう体を むねの 部分と おなかの 部分に 分けている 「おうかくまく」という 「きん肉」があります。

In the area just above the navel, separating the body into a chest part and an abdomen part, is a muscle called the diaphragm.

ふだん わたしたちの からだは、おうかくまくを 上げたり 下げたりして、むねに ある 「はい」を ふくらませたり ちぢめたりしています。

Usually in our bodies, we raise and lower the diaphragm, which causes something in our chest called the lungs to expand and contract.

I’ve read ふくらませたり as the causative form (then made into -tari form) of 膨らむ (ふくらむ) meaning - “to make expand).

I think this should be とつぜん.

6 Likes

Page 32.

Reading feels a bit faster. I seem to know most of the grammar points, but my biggest issue now is the vocabulary.

Does anyone have a feel for what JLPT level a lot of these words should be know by?

I just did N5 last year and starting N4 now but there are so many words I don’t know!

2 Likes

Page 32.
こうして、わたしたちは いきをはいたり すったりしているのです。

In this way, we breath in and out.

この あうかくまくが、なにかのきっかけで、きゅうな のびちぢみをはじめることで、しゃっくりはおこります。

Sudden expansion and contraction of the diaphragm has a chance to start hiccups.

そのとき、きゅうに すいこまれた いきが、のどのおくに ある 声たいと いう ところを通って[ヒック]と 音がするのです。

At that time, abrupt intake of breath passes through the voicebox to make a hick sound.

2 Likes

Since they are native material it will include grammar from any and all levels. Being for youngsters it will be a bit easier language at least. I’m still working on N5 =P
But honestly struggle to read these on my own, I rely heavily on the comments. But reading it first, then looking at the comments, then reading it again; is a great process that works for me at my level =)
I’ve read more mangas than books, so I read them more comfortably (Especially Naruto/Boruto, cause I already know all the “lingo” :rofl: )

3 Likes

I have no idea what JLPT level we should know all these words by, but it seems kind of normal to me that there are quite a lot of words we might not know already. :slight_smile: They’re words 6 year olds might understand, but unless we’ve already come across this vocabulary somewhere else (in context or by rote learning), how could we already know most of it? I think it’s ok to look up words we don’t know, and as we get further in we’re getting used to the language used, so it probably gets a bit easier/faster as we go along…

This book was my first occasion to learn words for discussing eyebrows, fingernails, poop, mosquitos, hiccups, tooth cavities, and melanin. For some reason these topics have never come up naturally with my tutor haha… (runny noses did though)

I’m having fun with this book! So glad we’re reading it :slight_smile: (Even if I have to look up quite a lot of words)

3 Likes

I thought I made my post when I finished translating the mosquitoes section, but did not :see_no_evil:

Here we go

Pg. 27-29

カにさされるとどうしてかゆくなるの?

Why do we get itchy when a mosquito bites us?

カを見つけてパチンとたたいたら、その手に血がついたことはありませんか。

When you spot a mosquito, you slap it with a click and blood sticks to your hand.

これは、カが、わたしたちの血をすっているからです。

This is the blood that the mosquito sucked from us.

カの口は、するどいはりのようにとがっていて、人間や動物のひふをつきさして血をすいます。

The mosquito’s mouth is similar to a needle, it becomes sharp and stabs the skin of things such as humans and animals to suck blood.

はりはとても細いのでいたみはあまりかんじません。

Because the stinger is very thin you will not feel much pain.

では、なぜさされたところがかゆくなるのでしょう?

So then why does the spot become itchy?

血は、からだの外に出て、空気にふれるとかたまってしまいます。

When blood exits the body, it hardens and stops bleeding when it comes into contact with air.

そこでカは、血をかたまりにくくするえきを、ひふにさしたはりから、ながしこみます。

Then, the mosquito inserts a liquid in the skin where it pierced and the blood has difficulty hardening.

このえきがひふに入ると、だんだんはゆくなり、赤くふくれてくるのです。

When the liquid goes into the skin, it gradually becomes itchy, red, and swells up.

ところで、カは、血をすって生きているわけではありません。

Incidentally, the mosquito sucking blood is not the reason they exist.

カは、花のみつや、草や木のあまいえきなどを食べ物にしています。

Things like flower nectar and sweet tasting liquid from grass and trees is food for the mosquitoes.

じつは、人間の血をすうのは、メスのカだけです。

As a matter of fact, only female mosquitoes suck human blood.

メスのカは、すった血を、たまごをつくるためにつかうのです。

The female mosquitoes suck blood to produce eggs.

2 Likes

Ok! I’m going to try my first post. I’ve been doing the pages mostly at the one a day pace. But earlier in the book I was having a hard time turning all of the translated words into a sentence. I’d look at your guy’s translations for the same pages and go: “oh that sounds way better than what I ended up with.” Finally after a week I’m starting to feel better about my own! (or this is an easy page)

p33

しゃっくりは、時間が たてば しぜんに 止まります。

After some time, hiccups will naturally stop.

早く しゃっくりを 止めたい ときは、いきを すったまま しばらく とめたり、せなかを たたいて みらったり、 つめたい 水を のんだりすると よいようです。

If you want to make hiccups stop faster, you can hold your breath for a moment, get patted on the back, or drink some cold water.

4 Likes

I didn’t see anyone talking about the grammar point のか (4th sentence), I’m sorry if I missed it, but the only explanation I really found for it was that it is used to endorse and question the preceding statement or is a way to make the question more assertive? Any feedback would be appreciated!

Translation PG. 30-31

どうしてしゃっくりは出るの?

Why do we hiccup?

あわててものを食べたときや、びっくりしたときなどに、「ヒック!ヒック!」と、とつぜんしゃっくりが出はじめるこおがあります。

When you are in a rush to eat and you are suddenly startled, hiccups begin to appear.

くるしいので早く止めたいのに、なかなか止まらないこともあって、こまりますね。

Because hiccups are painful, they don’t easily stop and can be annoying, right?

では、どうしてしゃっくりがおこるのか、そのしくみを見てみましょう。

So then, why do hiccups occur, lets look at how that works.

おへその少し上あたりに、どう体をむねの部分とおなかの部分に分けている「おうかくまく」という「きん肉」があります。

Above the small belly button, there is a muscle called the diaphragm which separates the body into the chest part and abdomen part.

ふだんわたしたちのからだは、おうかくまくを上げたり下げたりして、むねにある「はい」をふくらませたりちぢめたりしています。

Normally in our body, the diaphragm raises and lowers which causes the lungs in the chest to expand and shrink.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your translations! I think this one is not quite right - In the discussion above we went for something like - “By the way, the mosquito does not need to suck our blood in order to live”

2 Likes

I wonder if this is more: This diaphragm, by some chance, starts suddenly contracting and expanding, and hiccups occur.

1 Like

@cpage, it was great to see you posting! I’m glad you are starting to feel confident enough to share your translations (which looked great!)

I’ve never really got my head around this まま. I’ve just been looking at the Maggie Sensei article about it to try and understand it better.

With a verb it’s often used with the past tense short form - here it’s すった from すう (to breathe in). The まま here seems to mean “when you leave something or someone intentionally or unintentionally the way it is / they are”. So I think the literal translation here is along the lines of “while staying in the state of breathing in, stop for a short time”.

Luckily you found a much less clunky way to express it in English - “hold your breath for a moment”!

1 Like

Page 33.
Can we just take a moment to appreciate when the sentences don’t carry over to the next page? So satisfying…
しゃっくりは、時間が たてば しぜんに 止まります。

Hiccups stop naturally in time.

早く しゃっくりを止めたい ときは、 いきを すったまま じばらく 止めたり、せなかをたたいて もらったり、つめたい みずを のんだりすると よいようです。

To quickly stop hick ups, holding your breath for a minute, accepting a slap on the back, or drinking cold water seems to be good ways.

I had a special helper today with this page!

6 Likes

Thanks for the link! I hadn’t encountered まま before so I had the jisho translation as " as someone likes, wants". Which I guess makes sense to me I was thinking since it’s written for kids you’d wouldn’t want to tell them to hold their breath longer than they could handle? So my literal translation was: " To breath in as one likes for a moment stop"

1 Like