43 - [picture of playing ball on the beach]
44 - もう その人は 立てません。
45 - おさえていると、それが できないのです。
46 - 重心が あるため、あなたの
47 - 「右足が うごかなくなる〜。」と 言いましょう…。
48 - 力を ためしてみてくださいね。[end of chapter]
49 - 生き物の お話 [picture of dog and baby lizard] [title page of new section]
50 - 何度も、このように 毛づくろいを

This book looks great! I wish I could join you all in reading it, but I’m 100% tied up in my other project at the moment. But, yes, this is a good choice for the ABBC!

11 Likes

Just downloaded from iBooks…old version. I think I’ll be quite slow but will see how I go.

4 Likes

Guys, my book arrived, at last!

I also just now actually read the title of the book further than なぜ for the first time and realized it’s a book about science :joy: I have a PhD in biology, so let’s see what this book will teach me, haha.

I’m so excited to start reading this together!

13 Likes

My book arrived … together with a treat :slight_smile:

14 Likes

I placed an order at Kinokuniya, and got an e-mail yesterday saying it’ll arrive in 2-3 weeks.

4 Likes

Maybe we can ask @zuzu to put the last lines of pages of each section into the first post of each section thread. :wink:

And are we going to make/use a vocab sheet?

3 Likes

I will also participate^^ Amazon Japan says I’ll get it on the 3rd February, so fingers crossed

7 Likes

Hello everyone! I am excited to join too! This is my first time participating, and I only just started posting on here.

8 Likes

Depending where you live, it can be very fast.
Ordered mine on 15th and it arrived in Germany yesterday (20th).

2 Likes

Good to know! I also live in Germany then I hope I get it soon^^

1 Like

Same here - amazon.co.jp to Germany: five days. :heart_eyes: Fingers crossed!

3 Likes

So many germans here! Me too! German living in Japan though :slight_smile:
I wish I had known before that amazon.co.jp ships to germany. Would’ve saved me a lot of struggle in the past…

4 Likes

Ooooh if only I knew sooner before I ordered things on Amazon JP >_< I’ll get the ebook version and join it too !

3 Likes

I want to join so I can try and work on my reading, but I’m not sure if I’ll find the time to join with my school semester and other studies. Maybe I’ll grab the ebook and I can try to catch up with the group pace during my weekends if I find the right balance

4 Likes

If you can’t find the time to read at the same pace as the bookclub, you could try skipping some of the “stories” as needed (they’re all 4 pages) to align with what we’ll be discussing next. And then go back to what you’d skipped when you have the time.
Since it’s not one storyline, it’s very easy to dip in and out with this one :wink:
Or, as you said read ahead/catch up over the weekend.
In any case, glad to have you with us in any capacity that you can!

8 Likes

I am really excited for this! I just bought the book at Kinokuniya. This will be my first book and book club reading! I’m so stoked!!! :grin:

7 Likes

Had to go through a lot of trouble but finally got my copy! The international postal service that Amazon Japan used left it at the wrong apartment complex so I had to call nearby buildings to track it down >.<. Makes me nervous to import anything because that’s not the first time it’s happened here.
Anyways. I just recently restarted my Wanikani progress after neglecting my studies through some major life changes, but I am really excited for this book club as my first new challenge getting back into the swing of things!

11 Likes

So…this will be my first book in Japanese. How worried should I be that I can’t really read the front cover?! And is there anything I can do to help in the meantime (I guess try to translate front cover, plus maybe contents pages?)

I’m just at level 14 WK, but only about 2/3 through N5 grammar on bunpro, and just starting extra vocab with Kitsun.

I think some of the problems with the cover may be phrases with no context?

And yes I know my grammar’s probably not good enough for reading, but I know some extra from Kanshudo, and I want to motivate myself!

6 Likes

i think you might be underestimating yourself! give the cover a go, maybe you will be surprised about your own abilities!

3 Likes

+1 to what zaf said, you can do it! And since it’s a book club, you get to ask for help if you need it :slight_smile:

Also, I’ve been looking at the table of contents and I think it’s probably harder to understand than the text, because they’re packing a summary of the chapter into a single line (I think it’s similar to how a news article title can be harder to understand than the rest of the text). And following that logic, going through the table of contents is probably really helpful to learn the key words of each section, so that’s what I’ve been doing in the past few days when I had time :grin:

3 Likes