なぜ?どうして?科学のお話 / Absolute Beginner Bookclub

Hi everyone,
This is my first bookclub and I’m only on level 3 for now. Would I be ok or would it be to much of a challenge?

1 Like

It will be a challenge for sure, but you will also gain experience that you want anyway. It will be practice that helps with theoretical WK knowledge - to see kanjis being used in a book and try to read them in a sentence.

5 Likes

You can also have a look at the first few pages on the Amazon preview to see how you feel about it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I am confused by
„やってみよう からだあそび ふしぎな 力“ in the table of content.
I translate: Let’s do it, playing with bodies (bodyplay?), a mysterious power
That doesn’t seem right.

Those might be two different sentences (first one is until あそび), they seem to have different font sizes in my kindle ebook.

Hello peeps,

So what do we post exactly in book clubs ? I haven’t done any. Do you just post questions you have and answers to other people’s questions ?

Yep. Plus any sort of discussion on themes and impressions is welcome, though I’m fairly sure we won’t be getting much by way of “themes” from this book.

Sometimes in the absolute beginner clubs, we collectively work to translate the whole book one page at a time, though there’s been some discussion in other threads as to whether or not that’s actually helpful.

3 Likes

That sounds like a blast. I think it’s time I delve in real material, even if only to be less impressed by walls of japanese texts.

4 Likes

I guess i’ll have to pass…

that’s from amazon and BookWalker.
The other websites I can’t navigate due to Japanese >.>

Any other way to grab a digital copy from Canada, anyone ? =/

1 Like

I just found out about this and ordered my book. Once it gets to me I’ll jump in when I can :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I bought the kindle version from amazon.co.jp didn’t have any problems.
You could also try purchasing with a vpn.

1 Like

I was able to get a digital copy, from outside Japan, without having to provide a Japanese address or mess around with VPN!

1 Like

You could also try iBooks, others have had success with that (and slightly cheaper than elsewhere I think)

1 Like

Actually I solved the problem by entering a fake japanese address in my amazon.jp settings and logging into kindle app with my .jp account. But thanks for the ideas !! I’m on board !

7 Likes

Yes, it’s all in Japanese, but with patience and a little bit of dictionary help, anyone can do it! If you want, feel free to ask me and I’ll gladly help!

2 Likes

I’ve got the book in the mail this morning so I’ll give it a go and hopefully eventually I’ll be able to understand it :slight_smile:
Thanks for your reply.

5 Likes

Nervous but excited to be joining in! My books still in the mail, but I’m hoping I can jump in (over my head for sure) as soon as possible. Any tips and tricks from those of you who have done this before?

5 Likes

Received my book and totally excited to participate! First WaniKani book club!

4 Likes

I don’t think posts can be pinned or at least I’m not aware of it. Maybe @zuzu will link the vocab sheet in the first post here and in the upcoming section threads.

2 Likes

As for reading, the links I posted here might be helpful.

2 Likes