なぜ?どうして?科学のお話 / Absolute Beginner Bookclub

I’m sorry but it seems like I will not be able to make it today :confused:

Sorry to hear…hope to see (hear) you next week!

3 Likes

Did you decide to do another one on Sunday? That would be great.

Yes, we’re planning to read the end bit I think.

Next week’s live reading session is: 2020-07-19T13:00:00Z

We’ll be reading pages 171-189. It includes the following chapters:

Spacesuits (5 pages) :man_astronaut:
Aliens (4 pages) :alien:
Alfred Nobel (10 pages) :man_scientist:

As ever feel free to nominate a section you’d like to read in advance. If there’s lots of people there we’ll split the chapters up so everyone gets a chance to read who wants to. (EDIT: the last chapter is 10 pages, we are definitely splitting up this one!) If you just want to listen in without reading you are very welcome too.

This will be presumably be the last reading for this group as we finish the book this week!

4 Likes

I’d like to read Aliens.

1 Like

We are there! Last two threads are up:

Additional spreads: Link
Wrap Up & Final Comments: Link

2 Likes

I’d like to read the first half of Spacesuits, pages 171-173.

2 Likes

Then I would like to start with Alfred Nobel and, depending on how many people we are, read between 2-4 pages?

3 Likes

I’m back from vacation so I’m in for our last(?) なぜ live reading! I can volunteer for the other half of Spacesuits 174-175.

2 Likes

Unfortunately I can’t make it today :pensive: (would have liked to read some of Alfred Nobel)

Thank you for organising these live readings though, they were really helpful for me, and also fun listening!
(And also let me catch up on the section I skipped entirely due to time constraints :sweat_smile:)

3 Likes

I’ll see how I go but have a long day driving tomo so probably won’t make it.

We ended on a high note at our final Live Reading today, with fantastically good readings from everyone, including a surprise newcomer to the group who didn’t even have a copy of the book.

I think it was @sansarret who came up with the creative solution that Aristodemus could try reading aloud from the Japanese sentences posted to the community pages by our stalwart daily translators. After a rocky start reading from a post containing too many kanji for comfort, he tried reading from another post with more hiragana, which turned out to contain too few kanji for comfort. In spite of these obstacles, he managed to read several pages of the book with amazing fluency.

@sansarret, @cpage and @frayderike all read long sections of the book at a good speed with impressive accuracy. It is clear that we have all made great progress in our reading ability since we started this book. I made my usual valiant attempt to use Japanese pitch accent in my reading, with the usual stumbles along the way.

There was a cameo appearance by @Micki, who managed to join us on his way through airport security.

@skymaiden and @Cathm2, we missed you this week!

And of course also @Belthazar and @2000kanji and everyone else who participated in live readings with us in earlier weeks.

I was even hoping that @matthewsa might be tempted to join us this time, if only to read the part of the Spacesuits section which gave him his new avatar. Every time I see that avatar, I will think of this book.

Thank you to everyone who took part. It has been a pleasure reading with you.

7 Likes

The final one? You’ve read the entire book?

Yeah, it was just too late at night for me, if I wanted to be able to function at work the next day. The first reading happened to fall on the night before a public holiday, soo…

2 Likes

One page a day for six months.

I meant in the live readings. I haven’t actually checked, but I thought there’s a bit in the middle you never got to.

yeah we ended up alternating between sections we had just finished and the beginning of the book.

Just looked back at what we had read out loud and we did pretty well given we didn’t start the live readings til section 4. I think the only part we didn’t do were pages 93-115 (and the additional spreads).

Could someone who is a regular please update this thread title for the last time - to remove “now reading part 5” and “live reading Sunday”. EDIT - Thanks @skymaiden!

2 Likes

The home thread for the next ABBC book club book is up. It’s from the same series as this book and at a similar level. 10分で読める伝記(2年生) starts reading in November 2020.

4 Likes

The Absolute Beginners Book Club is voting for its next book. Click here if you want to get involved to go the poll and cast your vote!

2 Likes