なぜ?どうして?科学お話 - Section 5 Discussion Thread

It’s not. It rather looks like a chimney.

p. 155
雷はどうして落ちるの?

How does thunderbolt arise?

ぴかっと光って、ドーンと大きな音がする雷。

A bright flash and a big boom sound: that’s thunderbolt.

近くに落ちたら大変ですね。

If it strikes nearby, it is terrible.

雷の正体は、雲の中に溜まった電気です。

The origin of the thunderbolt is electricity piled up inside the clouds.

その電気が地面の間を流れたとき、「雷が落ちた」というのです。

When that electricity flows (through the space) to the earth’s surface, it is said that “the thunderbolt strikes”.

EDIT: I should have chosen lightning rather than thunderbolt. I was not sure whether the story would be about lightning or thunder, and I thought that thunderbolt stands for both. Is that so in English?

3 Likes

P155

かみなりは どうして おちるの?

Why does lightning strike?

ぴかっと 光って、ドーンと 大きな 音がする かみなり。

With a flash of light, with a big boom (of) noise, lightning (strikes).

近くに おちたら たいへんですね。

If it falls nearby, it’s serious, isn’t it?

かみなりの 正体は、雲の 中に たまった 電気です。

Lightning’s origin is electricity accumulated inside the clouds.

その 電気が 雲から 地面に なかれたとき、「かみなりが おちた」というのです。

When this electricity flows from the clouds to the ground, it is called a “lightning strike.”

1 Like

Come to think of it, thunderbolt is probably a better word to use here since 雷 seems to mean both thunder and lightning. I have always thought as thunderbolt as a synonym for lightning though

1 Like

The second sentence ending with a noun feels very weird. I noticed that a few pages back where the last word was cloud. Seems like Japanese sentences almost always end with a verb or a particle.
155:
かみなりは どうして おちるの?

Why does lightning fall down?

ぴかっと 光って、ドーンと 大きな 音がする かみなり。

To shine with a flash, and then make a loud bang, lightning.

近くに おちたら たいへんですね。

To be near where it falls is terrible, isn’t it?

かみなりの 正体は、雲の 中に たまった 電気です。

Lightning’s origin is accumulated electricity within clouds.

その 電気が 雲から 地面に ながれたとき、「かみなりが おちた」と いうのです。

When that electricity flowed from the cloud to the earth’s surface, we say that it was “struck by lightning”.

1 Like

I was finally able to finish up the Marie Curie biography and catch back up! I thought it was really beautiful and motivational.

As for this page

ぴかっと 光って Is such a nice phrase, I feel like it flows off the tongue and paints such a vivid picture.
I’m looking forward to the rest of the chapter!

3 Likes

Sometimes japanese apeech melody sounds like italian, especially in songs. That’s why I often remember the italian word when I am searching for the japanese one.

2 Likes

I guess I’m not the only one who finds themselves speaking Japanese with an Italian accent from time to time then? Especially with words that have a small つ in them!

2 Likes

Pg. 156
では、雷は どのようにして おころのでしょうか。

Then what do you think is causing the lightning strikes?

雷を 起こすのは モクモクと こぶを ふくらませんながら 空に そびえる 「入道雲」です。

The cause of lightning is the “cumulonimbus cloud” which swells while rising in the air.

入道雲の 中では、雲の もとである 氷の 粒が はげしく ぶつかり合って、電気が 生まれます。

From inside the cumulonimbus cloud, the clouds source of ice beads clash violently and electricity is created.

そして、雲は 大きくなりながら、電気を どんどん ためています。

So, while the cloud is becoming large, electricity is rapidly accumulating.

やがて、 ためきれなくなった 電気が 雲と 地面の 間を いっきに 流れて、雷に 鳴ります。

Before long the electricity cannot be held, and it instantly flows between the earth and clouds, creating lightning.

1 Like

P156

では、かみなりは どのようにして おこるのでしょうか。

Then, how does lightning happen?

かみなりを おこすのは、モクモクと こぶを ふくらませなから 空に そびえる 「入道雲」です。

Lightning is generated from “cumulonimbus clouds” (or a thunderhead) rising up and swelling to tower in the sky.

入道雲の 中では、雲の もとである 氷の つぶが はげしく ぶつかりあって、電気が 生まれます。

Inside a thunderhead, the clouds’ origin is from drops of ice violently bumping against each other, electricity is created.

そして、雲は 大きくなりながら、電気を どんどん ためていきます。

And then, when the clouds become big, electricity is rapidly accumulated.

やがて、ためきれなくなった 電気が 雲と 地面の 間を いっきに ながれて、かみなりに なります。

Eventually, accumulated electricity instantly flows across the space between the clouds and the ground, and becomes lightning.

1 Like

p. 156
では、雷はどのようにして起こるのでしょうか。

So, how do thunderbolts arise?

雷を起こすのは、モクモクこぶを膨らませながら空に聳える「入道雲」です。

Thunderbolts arise when “cumulonimbus” inflate and tower up in the sky.

Double swelling (コブ・膨らませ) and rising (モクモク・聳える)in this sentence!

入道雲の中では、雲のもとである氷の粒が烈しくぶつかり合って、電気が生まれます。

Inside the cumulonimbus, electricity is generated by the violent collisions of the ice particles forming the cloud.

そして、雲は大きくなれながら、電気をどんどん溜めていきます。

Thus the cloud, while growing, accumulates more and more electricity.

やがて、溜めきれなくなった電気が雲と地面の間を一気に流れて、雷になります。

Eventually, the electricity can no longer be accumulated and flows in one go from the cloud to the ground, thus becoming a thunderbolt.

2 Likes

I liked this page for having to figure out the different forms of ためる. I ended up finding ていく page on bunpro and I’m pretty sure I eventually recognized the negative eba form in the final sentence… but I’m not 100% sure since it doesn’t match.
156:
では、かみなりは どのようにして おこるのでしょうか。

Then, how do you think lightning happens?

かみなりを おこすのは、モクモクと こぶを ふくらませながら 空に そびえる 「入道雲」です。

“Cumulonimbus clouds” that rise in the sky and, when billowing up, expand are the ones that bring about lightning.

入道雲の 中では、雲の もとである 氷の つぶが はげしく ぶつかりあって、電気が 生まれます。

Within cumulonimbus clouds, the cloud’s origin has beads of ice violently colliding and gives birth to electricity.

そして、雲は 大きくなりながら、電気を どんどん ためていきます。

Thus, while the cloud grows, electricity continues to steadily amass.

やがて、 ためきれなくなった、 電気が 雲と 地面の 間を いっきに ながれて、かみなりになります。

Before long, if it can no longer amass, electricity instantly flows through the space between the cloud and the earth’s surface, and becomes lightning.

1 Like

Which bit are you referring to? I can’t see an -えば ending in that sentence.

I think I was combining things I’ve seen in my head, specifically ためきれなくなった reminded me of なくちゃ combined with えば form but it doesn’t quite fit.

Checking the vocab sheet I see that that’s actually on there now. I think before it just had ためきれない which I didn’t understand. Even reading 切れない page on bunpro I’m still confused where we get なくなった…

1 Like

Not sure about that one. I thought it was きれない which is listed as an い-adjective - meaning in the past it is きれなくなかった. But that’s different to what’s in the text.

EDIT - ah, it’s きれない in the adverb form きれなく, followed by なった (なる in past form).

4 Likes

Pg. 157
この時、強い 電気に よって、はげしく 光るのが 「いなずま」です。

This time, with strong electricity approaching, there is a violently bright “lightning strike”.

いなずまが ジグザグなのは、空気の 中では 電気は 真っすぐに 進む ことが 出来ず、ジグザグに 進むからです。

The lightning strike is a zigzag because electricity cannot move straight through the air, but as a zigzag.

1 Like

p. 157
このとき、強い電気によって、激しく光るのが「稲妻」です。

At this moment, due to the intense electricity, there is the extremely bright light of a “lightning”.

I wonder: why is a lightning written and read as 稲 (rice plant) and 妻 (wife)?

稲妻がジグザクなのは、空気の中では電気はまっすぐに進むことができず、ジグザグに進むからです。

Lightning is zigzag, electricity can’t advance straightly through the air, therefore it goes zigzag.

They don’t mention that in reality thunderstorms are purple to red :wink::
Screenshot from 2020-06-13 14-12-25

1 Like

The rice plant’s wife was so angry she made lightning shoot out of her fingers

1 Like

Wiktionary says: A belief in ancient times was that rice plants would mate with or otherwise be fertilized by lightning, a frequent occurrence in the late summer and autumn when rice plants come to fruition.

6 Likes

P157

このとき、強い 電気に よって、はげしく 光るのが「いなずま」です。

Therefore at this time, the strong electricity which violently flashes is a ” lightning bolt”.

いなずまが、ジグザグのは、空気の 中では 電気は まっすぐに すすむ ことが できず、ジグザグに すすむからです。

The lightning bolt is a zigzag, since in the air electricity can’t continue straight ahead, it advances in a zigzag.

1 Like

I don’t think the よって is from 寄る (to approach). I think it’s によって - “due time/because of”.

Was anyone else a bit disappointed with this explanation? I presume the real explanation is a bit complicated for a book for 7-8 year olds!

2 Likes