とする Adverbs

Hello everyone,

I’m currently reading a book and I faced myself with the following construction:

ゆったりとする

I concluded that it means “comfortabIy”. searched yuttari on Jisho.org and it says yuttari is an “adverb taking the ‘to’ particle”

But what would be the diferrence if I removed the “と” from the sentence?

ゆったりする has any difference from ゆったりとする?

I don’t see much difference in usage.

And if you look it up in a dictionary, it has the と with parentheses, which usually means it’s optional with no change in meaning.

There’s probably some level of it “feeling” different to Japanese people, so I don’t know without asking a native.

Note: That doesn’t necessarily apply to all words that take と in that way. I can’t speak to that.

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile:

It is pretty subtle, generally the version with と sounds slightly more formal / literary, but it also places a little bit more emphasis on the adverb itself.

Also without the context for the question. Here is an example for when the difference becomes bigger.

I am always very fond of your answers to language questions. jsyk. :smiley:

There is unfortunately no "Sup? *eyes * " emoji for this situation.

I’ll just say even if I don’t know the answer myself I know where to get good answers and relay them in a good way.

And that’s extremely appreciated! :heart: :wink:

:kissing_heart:
Heh

It was really informative, thank you very much :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.