たって origin?

Dictionary says it’s a particle meaning even though, however. But I can’t understand it. We have だって that’s basically だ(です)and quoting って together, we have たった which means something like “only”, “just”. But how is this one formed? There’s only rice paddy that uses that. Is it just a whole particle that can’t be separated and unique unlike だって? Cause I keep seeing this って as a quoting particle. Met it in expression 何たって.

The dictionary says it’s from たとて, which is a combination of た (the perfective aspect auxiliary) plus とて.

It’s not って the quotative particle.

The entry says it can change to だって after an ん.

The same dictionary says that 何たって is an abbreviation of 何と言ったって, so you can see the perfective た there. This has a quotation within it but it’s not the part you were referring to.

2 Likes

Thanks. It may seem like I didn’t try looking for it online and went here first, but actually I jtried putting it into google and it lead me to たっての願い. The thought of using the searchbars of japanese dictionaries have never occured to me :sweat_smile:. Life should get easier from now on.
Edit: Damn, searching weblio for some other words debunked all my theories made over the year. Stuff like なんて actually being など and とて. Words like these are used so often, and yet I never understood their nature. I was certain nothing actually explains those words as google never helped me and I’m a goddamn level 56 already, about to graduate any month now. I feel so ignorant now.

I imagine plenty of natives don’t know the exact roots of everything. It’s not really critical for using them correctly.

1 Like

I suppose not. But words I can’t grasp boggle me. Weblio even knows that あらへん is kyoto dialect and how it appeared. I did understand that means ない, however I used to believe there is no explanation and people who say it were insane before :laughing:

1 Like

Heh. I have heard a lot of 関西べん but not so much 京ことば. But あらへん makes sense in that へん seems to replace ない in a lot of 関西 speech (食べられへん, すみまへん).

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.