それでも歩は寄せてくる ・ When will Ayumu Make his Move? - Volume 5 Thread

Thanks for the detailed reply! I think I read about the explanatory の multiple times already, but always forget it’s a thing.

Chapter 59

I think you just found out how it will end! :smiley: At least it would be funny.

4 Likes

You can really feel the progression of time this week.

7 Likes

For a second I thought it totally makes sense that 5 volumes equal one year, because I expected 10 to be the last one. But then i realised there is a 11th volume coming. :sweat_smile: I wonder how many volumes this year will be then? At least I expect it to end when Urushi graduates… Or do you think it will continue?
At least she is pretty good at studying so I expect the chances that she will be held back a year to be very slim. :smiley:

5 Likes

Never too early for the mangaka to start thinking about a 「(元)」 version =D

“I’m sorry, but Japanese regulation has a height limit for graduation, and you’re one inch too short.
We have to hold you back a year.”

6 Likes

Aye, I caught up. (Do not believe my lies, I was off schedule since the beginning.) Hiii everyone. How come I’m here.
As a little retrospective, starting the manga last year for some reason I thought they would just sit in the room and play shogi, and oh boy do I have to say it surpassed all of my expectations like a hundred times. Especially the recent dream chapter.

May I ask a question about

Chapter 58, pg. 37

The part with 照れたりしつつも…
照れる be shy
照れたり things like being shy and stuff
し just an emphasis that たり includes lots of stuff, she was not only shy but other things were affecting her. As a wild guess, I thought about it being a masu-stem of する but it makes not a lot of sense here
つつも despite

Deep learning spoiled me with knowledge so I read it as despite being somewhat embarrassed. Which fits however I don’t like how it all comes together. Even though I believe I’ve seen たり used outside of たり…たりする in place of just て-form, the whole たりし feels odd especially with jisho being adamant that つつも goes after the masu-stem and does not fit here. How did everybody interpret this line?

Also

I see what you did there.

5 Likes

Page 37:

I read it as using one たり as seen in this example:

Then, the する becomes し (the ます stem) so that つつも can attach to it.

7 Likes

Data analysis fun: Across all ten volumes of それでも (that are released at the time of this writing), つつも only appears twice, and both are in volume five. Pages 37 and (this week’s) 57.

6 Likes

If only I was halfway as clever as IME typos and my failure to proofread made me look…

I mean. yes. Totally. That was intentional. 天才ですね!?

4 Likes

The first page of chapter 62 went so smoothly, then I had a lot of trouble with the second page. :person_shrugging: That’s just how these things go, right? I think I understand it now, but I have a few things I’m not sure about:

Page 72

キンじゃないか

キン is the cat’s name, and she is saying “Isn’t that Kin?”

ウチのネコだよ

There are so many definitions ウチ for but “one’s home; one’s family” seems to fit best. So I think she’s saying “that’s my family’s cat”.

どーゆーことだ

Is this short for 「どういうことだ」, meaning “what do you mean?”

Chapter 62 story comments

How have they never seen a cat before while walking together? There are so many outside cats in Japan, and I’m sure they’ve walked outside before. Biggest plot hole of the series!

7 Likes

Page 72

I’d say yes, yes, and yes to your questions.

For question two, I might even go with “that’s my cat”, although somehow I get a sense of distance as if it’s really more of the family’s cat rather than one she considers her own. But I might be overthinking her wording.

Suddenly I might need to move to Japan…

There’s only one outdoor cat that I’ve seen a few times around where I live and it keeps its distance.

7 Likes

Some excellent faces this week!
Meaningful: Sakurako’s face when Takeru asks for one of the tickets
Hilarious: Ayumu and Urushi’s faces the second time her stomach growls :joy:

6 Likes
Chapter 64 story question

So I’m wondering if I understood this correctly:
Takeru bought two tickets hoping he would be invited to go along.
Sakurako wants to see the movie 2 times, so no tickets for Takeru.
Takeru still gets invited to tag along, but he has to pay for the tickets himself. (?)

The last part is where I’m honestly not sure. Does he have to buy another 2 tickets or does he get one from the ones that are available?

4 Likes

My understanding is that unfortunately for him, he does indeed have to buy his own two tickets. Sakurako doesn’t seem to be willing to split the cost :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes
Best faces

5 Likes

Two really cute chapters this week! Sakurako imitating the displays of affection in the movie was :pleading_face:

5 Likes

Yeah so cute!! I also love how Sakurako and Takeru get more chapters as we go! And the Ayumu and Ureshi chapter was so relaxed.

Today I realised we’ll finish this volume next week already!!

3 Likes

Well, I have officially wrapped up my reading of this volume! The blurb for the next volume has me eager to start it! :grin: What are the current plans for that? Are we just going to roll straight away into it next week as we have been?

5 Likes

I’m down for that! I’m thinking the new character wants to either convince Ayumu to go back to Kendo (either because she looks up to him or wants to defeat him), or wants to beat him at the new thing he’s picked up. I’m eager to see what her deal is.

2 Likes

I think usually we would have a poll at the end of the volume, but I wouldn’t mind to continue straight away either!

3 Likes

We usually would, yep! Hopefully @anon45600167 is okay. :heart: I haven’t seen them around in a little while.

5 Likes