すべてがFになる - The Perfect Insider (S&M Vol. 1) (Advanced Book Club)

As our time reading this book is almost drawing to a close already, I was wondering whether some of you might be interested in joining a spin-off club for this series? (In case you didn’t know, this is the first in a series of 10 books who feature our two detective protagonists Saikawa and Moe.)

The second book is called 冷たい密室と博士たち - Doctors in Isolated Room, and it is (at 422 pages) not quite as thick as our current one.

Are you interested in continuing this series with the group as a spin-off?

• Absolutely! Let’s start immediately after the first book is finished!
  • Absolutely! But I think I need a break to detox my lungs… (please specify)
  • Maybe at some point in time (please specify if you like)
  • I’m good, thank you
  • I have no idea what you’re talking about, but clicking is nice

0 voters

6 Likes

ohh :eyes: !
I’m going to be a bit busy with other books (like the remaining SAO books on my shelf, Honzuki and Rezero) so I don’t think I’ll have time this summer, unfortunately, but more of this series sounds fun :grin: I’d be happy to continue later at some point, even if not live with the book club :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Considering we’re only ~7 people in the normal weekly threads by now, I guess 4 participants for the second book in the series is already the majority :joy_cat:

@Belerith @valkow Do you have any idea of when you’d like to continue reading? Or is this more a vague thought of “some day”? :wink:

2 Likes

This is me thinking about how I probably should read some of these other books I have lying around instead of joining all the spin off book clubs. :crazy_face:

So while I’m interested in continuing the series, I’m going to take some time to make a priority list before I make any decisions.

2 Likes

I’m happy to continue reading right away in terms of desire to do it, but I’m a couple weeks behind now and I don’t know when I’ll catch up. So I didn’t want to vote for right away but also don’t know how long of a break I would want. :face_with_monocle:

3 Likes

Luckily it’s still Saturday in most places of the world right now :sunglasses:

So here’s week 8!

3 Likes

I’ve set up a home thread for Volume 2:

4 Likes

Looks like we’re quickly approaching the end!

Please don’t forget: This week’s reading is pretty short (36 pages only) but next week’s is extra long (62 pages)! So if you’d like to balance your reading a bit, you might want to read ahead (but no spoilers of course :wink: )

4 Likes

Here’s the penultimate week - will we finally find out about everything and stuff?

2 Likes

After everything that happened, and after all the cigarettes that were smoked - here is our final chapter:

7 Likes

There was no end of book poll/stats so I took the liberty to do it. Congrats everyone for reading 500 more pages of Japanese, and thanks @NicoleIsEnough for all your work!

Satisfaction Poll Time!

Have you read すべてがFになる - The Perfect Insider?

• I finished it
  • I’m still reading and I plan on finishing it
  • I don’t plan to finish it
  • I never even started it

0 voters

If you read the book, how would you rate it on a 5 point scale? (1: hated it, 5: loved it)

0 voters

If you read the book, how would you rate its difficulty?

• No effort at all
  • Minimal effort
  • Moderate effort
  • Significant effort
  • So much effort my head might explode
  • I don’t know

0 voters

Participation Statistics

Participation

Comments

4 Likes

500+ pages! That really does feel like we accomplished something. :blush:

3 Likes

Oh wow, thank you! I had this on my list but it somehow slipped through all the time :flushed:

I’m very impressed to see the consistency of the participants - I think for this one the consistency was even better than for Yougisha! Also, we had a lot of good discussion especially towards the end. :+1:

4 Likes

I figured you might be working on it but I didn’t want to ask “so, when is the poll coming?” because you already do so much :sweat_smile: But I was wondering if you had some kind of semi automated way to do the graphs or if it’s just manual?

1 Like

Thank you, I really appreciate it :blush:
No, I don’t have an automated way to do the graphs - I only have a spreadsheet where I fill in the numbers and then copy-paste the resulting graph.
But it’s an interesting idea - I’ll think about it :nerd_face:

2 Likes

Today I learned (thanks to the Bookwalker Freebies thread!) that there is a Manga adaptation for this book :exploding_head:
And, what can I say, the first two volumes are free to own on Bookwalker until Dec 24th:

The remaining 6 volumes are 150 Yen each (for people living outside of Japan).

Enjoy!

2 Likes

It’s actually just the first two parts. Typically (from my limited experience) it seems to be a chapter or so when it’s released 分冊. Here it seems to be 4 parts per volume, for a total of 8 parts for the whole 2 volumes. So you can get the first half volume free right now. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Oh I see! I guess I will never understand these publishing schemes :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

There’s an anime adaptation too. I haven’t watched it but I like the opening (long version of the song by kana-boon here). There’s also a drama apparently.

2 Likes

Heads up that there is now an audiobook of this (unfortunately exclusively on audible.jp)! It’s not up to the standard or some other Japanese audiobooks I’ve listened to which have full voice casts and background music etc but it’s still pretty nice!

Amazon link

I’m guessing there’s a fairly decent chance they might continue to do the rest of the series :thinking:

3 Likes