しろくまカフェ: Week 1 Discussion (Chapters 1 and 2)

We’re not in Genki anymore, Toto?

9 Likes

I don’t have the book so can’t say for sure in this context, but ごゆっくり is something you can say to someone who is about to eat. So it’s probably from that.

https://dict.woxikon.co.uk/en-ja/どうぞごゆっくり

10 Likes

It also means, slightly more literally, like “take your time”

9 Likes

Okay noob here so, chapter 1, pg 7(ebook) panda says
でも寝てばっかり
いると太っちゃう~

I understand the first line, but I don’t get the grammar on the second. I can infer the meaning, because i recognise 太

stuck on the second speech bubble, off to a great start -__-

12 Likes

ばかり after the て form means “doing only this”
と (here) is a conditional, so “if”
ちゃう is a casual contraction or てしまう, so 太っちゃう is ふとってしまう
So ”But if (I?) just sleep all the time I’ll get fat”

22 Likes

Thank you, now that you say it I remember that と can mean if
and yeah i guessed the meaning correctly, but it’s better to know :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My favourite joke was the one where he turns around and his name changes from Hamamura to Hamumaru.

13 Likes

In chapter 2, page 10 (print, bis) Panda says “こういうのが好きなんだ” for some reason I can’t seem to put together a coherent meaning despite knowing the individual parts of the sentence. My brain is probably mush because it’s Tuesday, but some help with this one would be appreciated :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

How do you translate the sentence at the end of the page 5, chapter 1 (print, bis)?

シロクマくんのお店は自然がいっぱいで癒されるなぁ。

シロクマくんの - Shirokuma’s
お店は - cafe + は (topic marker)
自然が - nature + が
いっぱい - lots of
で - particle (indicates location of action, time of action, means of action)
癒される - 癒す (to heal, to cure) in passive form - is being healed
なぁ - hey, say, look

Say, Shirokuma’s cafe is being healed in lots of nature?

3 Likes

“I like this kind of thing” i believe.

3 Likes

I’m enjoying the puns, it’s kinda corny, but I’m guilty of liking it. I showed my Japanese friend and she thinks this book is stupid. But I don’t care! As long as we’re having fun learning!

5 Likes

I’ll probably start reading tomorrow since I have a day off tomorrow. I’m so excited!

2 Likes

I think it would be something like “Shirokuma’s cafe is full of nature you can be healed with.” (Or maybe just ‘healing nature’). It uses the particle で which implies healing ‘by way of’ nature.

7 Likes

I also wondered about this and I asked my Japanese friend about it.

Literally, it means the nature from the cafe is so good it heals you. But I interpreted it as kind of a colloquial thing meaning “this place has a nice natural atmosphere”. My friend said I’m right, but maybe someone else has more insight on this.

11 Likes

I’m actually curious about this as well. I couldn’t quite make sense of it. But I believe with a passive verb, the thing marked with が is the thing that has the verb done to it. So it’s actually 自然 that is being healed.

Also, I think the “なぁ” might be just an elongated な, essentially just the ね particle.

Something I’m not sure of is how the topic particle interacts with a passive verb when there’s also a marked subject. Is it the thing doing the verb to the subject?

So maybe something like “Nature is being completely healed by [or in?] Shirokuma’s Cafe, right?” But I’m pretty sure I’m still missing something.

3 Likes

My book arrived today, just in time!

3 Likes

I think in this case the が particle functions within the noun phrase 自然がいっぱい (lots of nature). I presume that the grammatical subject is omitted in order that the sentence makes sense as in “One is healed by means of the amount of nature (present) in Shirokuma’s cafe.”

10 Likes

Ah, that’s really the missing piece of the puzzle for me, then. I was confused because there was a subject, so the normally implied “you/me” wouldn’t be the one being healed… But the whole things makes a lot more sense with 自然 being only the subject of the で phrase.

Your translation was basically what I thought it must mean, but I couldn’t figure out why it would mean that. Thanks!

4 Likes

I understood the phrase 自然がいっぱいで as the “て form” of the な-adjective いっぱい, as meaning something like “there being a lot of nature”. Is that right? I don’t think this で is the particle で.

8 Likes

This was my favorite part too! I love the visual of it too, how he see kana in his own shapes!

5 Likes