しろくまカフェ: Week 1 Discussion (Chapters 1 and 2)

Super helpful, thanks!

1 Like

Could you include page numbers? Where is this?

I would find that very helpful, yes.

Check the first post. We included everything there

Are you saying there is now a google doc with sentences? If so, where? (The top of the post brings me to the google doc with vocab.)

You can expand the “Translations/Grammar Breakdown” section just below the link to the vocabulary doc in the first post by clicking on it. That will lead you to all the translations. :slight_smile:

Any idea why that あとコーヒー line is in handwriting? For me, that makes it so much harder to read.

Tatsache! Thanks much!!

Re 雑誌にも よく 載ってるんだ: I’ve read a translation that said sth like: “The ad in that magazine was really worth it” (presumably because it attracted all those fashionable customers).
Is that also a possibility?

I read this as something like ‘the fashionable customers look like people in a magazine.’ Mostly I think this because of the presence of “よく”. It doesn’t seem to be talking about a particular magazine feature or something (unless it’s a regular magazine appearance?). I think that’s just a liberty that the scanlators linked earlier in the thread did (though literal meaning aside, I don’t think that’s a bad liberty to take).

1 Like

Yeah I saw that translation too, i think from the fan translated manga. But honestly i don’t see how is that possible, there is no mention for an ad at all, and nothing is “worth it”.
It’s like the translator made the whole thing up

2 Likes

Thank you - I wasn’t sure if I was missing something.

It’s a standard thing in manga. In my head, I tend to read them as afterthoughts or aside comments, though I confess I don’t know if that’s actually how they’re meant to be read.

6 Likes

I just realized that WaniKani messed this up too. The answer to 辱める is “To Embarass”. I guess I should email them…

4 Likes

Thanks for your hard work, that really helped me!

1 Like

What level Jlpt, like (.5/1/1.5/2) would I need to read this book lol, just wondering before I order.

N1? Lol

I find it hard

2 Likes

I’d say N4 has you covered, but you’ll still have a few doubts.

How long does it usually take to learn jlpt 5/4 grammar and vocab if you had to guess from scratch? Assuming I have 1-2 hours each day to work on Japanese.

It took me around 6 months, i didn’t take the exams but going through the materials and fully understanding them took me 6 months as I said
I don’t know for how much i studied each day, but i guess 3 hours or less