しろくまカフェ: Week 1 Discussion (Chapters 1 and 2)

yeah me too, that’s how I remember it. god I wish I brought my book with me. nothing better to do in your job more than reading about a polar bear’s coffee shop

3 Likes

You can read it here しろくまカフェ: Week 1 Discussion (Chapters 1 and 2) - #176 by Okanekure

1 Like

I’d recommend linking the new site. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I asked a native speaker and he said it’s not the て form of だ. He said it’s “because of” it shows reason which is why I said “by way of”.

1 Like

Page 6

But he does say あと コーヒー, which I took mean, “a coffee afterwards”. But then again, both the bamboo and the coffee are served at the same time!

1 Like

thanks @Okanekure!
ok next up page 6, first panel in the second row
お客さんもおしゃれな人が多いし。雑誌にもよく載ってるんだ
お客さん customer
も too
おしゃれな fashionable
人 people
多い a lot
し a particle like ね (???)
Translation: The customers are fashionable people too

雑誌 magazine
にも also
よく often
載ってる = 載っている appearing
They also often appear in magazines

6 Likes

you sure 多いし is a word? According to jisho.org, the し looks like some sort of particle

2 Likes

Yeah actually I know it’s a particle, but I’m not sure about it’s usage. I assumed it’s kind of like the particle ね from the context

Personally, I read it as “um” because it’s うーん… with the ellipsis.

2 Likes

I went with 7. also; in addition​

There’s no reason to think he couldn’t ask for the coffee later, but I think this makes more sense. :stuck_out_tongue:

“One large serving of bamboo. Oh, and also a coffee.”

2 Likes

Yea it is a particle but used for listing things. It’s very common in conversation.

2 Likes

Page 6

Ah, yes! That makes perfect sense! Thanks again Kazzeon!

1 Like

ThAnK you (:wink:

1 Like

I think here で cannot be the particle that means “by means of”, because, with this meaning, the particle always (= as I’ve seen it so far, I cannot swear upon it) follows a noun phrase: 電車で、ペンで、etc. Besides, いっぱい is a な-adjective and cannot be hanging in there in the middle of a sentence. Either it must precede a noun (and use the な connector) or it must be a predicate and must be followed by a copula (unless it is at the end of a sentence, which it is not). In my opinion the only valid syntactical analysis of the sentence forces us to interpret で as the copula and the phrase 自然がいっぱいで as a whole clause, separate syntactically from 癒されるなあ. Hope this helps, I’m looking forward to more of these kinds of discussion!!! This is my first reading club and I’m really enjoying it!!! Thank you all!

4 Likes

which way do you read it? across the page does it go:

top right to top left
bottom right to bottom left

or

top right to bottom right
top left to bottom left

sorry i realise this is a proper noob question. however i am noob

4 Likes

the panels go

top right to top left
bottom right to bottom left

but the text in the speech bubbles is left to right

3 Likes

what does it mean?

To pick a random page as an example, you read the bubbles in the order I’ve numbered, and the text in the direction of the arrows:

12 Likes

Level 2 here, my books just arrived tonight and with Google handholding, I’m on pg.9. I’m going through line by line, just straight reading for pronunciation (and reading practice so I can get faster!) the first pass, then going through and identifying the meaning of the kanji, and if I’m still stuck on the greater sentence, then translating that, too. I’m not like-- meticulously recording each character or keeping track of things, etc. I have multiple hardcore-study resources going on right now in my downtime. This will be my chill study.

4 Likes

Late reply, but this is how I’ve been studying the book. I’m making my own translation line by line with the help of dictionaries/the vocab spreadsheet. Given that I can only read about half of the text in chapter 1 on my own, I’m not sure how else I should be studying this.

If the thread is going to do the same, I’ll have to ignore that part of the thread to the best of my abilities.

Edit: I just read through the last hundred posts in the thread. Didn’t realize that others had already started doing this. Sorry! I guess I’m going to just… have to keep ahead of the threads…

1 Like