しろくまカフェ ~ Shirokuma Café Anime Club 📺

I think this is really misguided. Shirokuma is listed as a 女性(じょせい) manga and it’s published in 女性(じょせい) comics. Aside from 少年(しょうねん) manga and anime (free game for all), I haven’t heard of anyone who really blurs those gender lines by watching something outside their demographic. Stores are highly segmented by demographic and being in the “wrong section” will earn you stares. Maybe it’s easier now with online shopping, but at least on a vocal level, people stick to material published in their demographic.

I think we’re talking about different things here.

I was pointing out how thematics not normally found in children’s media in the west can be found in Japanese media for kids.

As for the official “label” demographics that can of course be jousei. I’d still say this is for children, and the puns are used to teach us words and vocab along with the other teaching elements in this series. (it just doesn’t make sense to teach adults these tings, like what a crowded train is called or parallell parking is called)

Makes me think of Yami no Matsuei, which I think was published in a shounen magazineso it’s labeled a shounen series. And I guess there are shounen manga themes in it - but the target audience is adult women - josei. So, there’s a discrepance at times between how something is published and who reads a manga.

1 Like

Ok, I don’t disagree with that.

This I disagree with. I don’t think Shirokuma is meant for kids at all. Sure it doesn’t have elements of “adult” humor, but the situational humor is probably better understood by adults (the target). I think puns are fun at any age and they’re very common in regular Japanese comedy if I understand correctly. As far as crowded trains go, I think that’s more for the characterization of Panda and also to set up the comparison to penguins. Other stuff seems to be for the fun of comparing humans and animals as well. Also, given how it’s not uncommon for people to never drive, I don’t think that’s odd at all.

I looked it up and it was published in a shojo magazine. I think the idea that it might be targeted at adults is more of a result of its hiatuses and long-running status. It started in 1996 and the last (latest?) issue was in 2017. That’s a good portion of my life. I think it’s reasonable to expect the audience to have grown up in that time and to move in that direction. I think it’s probably similar to JoJo in that aspect- that its readers are expected to have grown up (the change from Weekly Shonen Jump to Seinen Jump (although that also has to do with the publication schedule)).

I’m pretty sure I looked up YnM years ago and was suprised to see where it was published originally. :eyes: I guess, I misremembered things.

I was rather thinking about the blatant BL themes in this series, which suggests women as the readers.

As for Shirokuma Cafe i guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree.

I guess we’ll disagree indefinitely on this one.

1 Like

Yes! But then next line I understand nothing XD

Also, thanks for the cast info!
I would never have guessed O_o
Now all I can imagine is Sephiroth vacuuming in an apron! :rofl:
I also missed that his name was Handa, all I heard was Panda O_o

I’ve gotten to episode 4, so will watch the next episodes before reading rest of comments since I’m not there yet =)

1 Like

You’re not alone. I’m watching with English subs the first time, then no subs the second time. (Haven’t yet had a chance at a third viewing.)

4 Likes

Just started watching episode 1 and I enjoyed it! I can relate to the panda. :laughing: Also, I think the Japanese in this one is more or less my current level, so hopefully I can understand it without subs. Excited to catch up with this week’s episodes. :star_struck:

5 Likes

This made me think of Shirokuma :rofl:
(the similar sounding gag set at 1:20)

2 Likes

Good luck! :+1:

1 Like

A wonderful show for practice. Simple enough to understand without any subs.

2 Likes

XD Next up: Panda-kun, is played by Jun Fukuyama, also known for being Koro-sensei in Assassination Classroom, Lelouch in Code Geass, Grell Sutcliff in Black Butler, Yukio Okumura in Blue Exorcist among many many more roles! :grin:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=337

4 Likes

Yes, once a post above noted who the voice actors were, I was looking through the Wikipedia page on it. So many of these voices were in Bleach or Black Butler or other shows that I have really enjoyed! :grin:

1 Like

Full disclosure. I’m a hardcore seiyuu fan! I love to try to “spot” the voice actor when watching a new series. I still end up being surprised to see the credits at times, but have gotten pretty good at naming the actor once they speak. (mostly due to all those Drama CDs I’ve listened to for sure). ^>^

As for Shirokuma Cafe, it has a stellar cast. All voices you hear is basically someone you probably know from somewhere else. ^>^

Pro tip. Anime News Network have a great encyclopedia where which lists seiyuu and dub actors, and where you can always go to each actors profile page to find other shows that actor has been in. It’s a great way to find new stuff to watch with actors you really like! :+1:

1 Like

I can pick out the fellow who played Jiraiya on Naruto Shippuden, Hōchū Ōtsuka, pretty much any time he shows up–it’ll drive me nuts until I can confirm it, when I hear what I think is his voice! But he always plays characters I like, too. But I was shocked I didn’t recognize all these actors, particularly the Demon Butler himself, or Levi from Titan. :grin:

2 Likes

Right, Ono Daisuke is Llama-san! :rofl: :llama: And he’s of course also in Attack on Titan (Erwin) so that’s very hard to reconcile with one’s mental image as well! :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

This is Jotaro erasure :triumph:

I kid of course

1 Like

Since JoJo has a lot of male seiyuu I bet I’d recognize a lot of voices! :grin: (if I were to watch JoJo…) ^^;

1 Like

I got a bit behind in the first week, but I’ve been catching up this week. Gotta push a little to be on schedule for next week. If I understood japanese better I wouldn’t have to focus so much, but I’m trying to listen to the sentence before reading the subtitles to get the most out of it. I would have no hope of understanding it completely without the subtitles but I feel I’m getting a lot out of the show all the same.

The show itself is adorable and cute. And I think I’m going to know how to beg people not to vacuum me up after this. It will be my greatest acquisition!

3 Likes

I’d be really surprised if you didn’t lol

1 Like