ご注文はうさぎですか miscellaneous discussion

Ah, sure, that sounds fine too.
Translating is hard.

1 Like

This makes sense. I knew Rize’s speech is highly exaggerated here due to being, as @seanblue said, Cocoa’s imagination, so this explanation makes sense. It actually makes the whole dialogue 100% make sense to me. I’ll definitely have to look up reading material on the history of くれる (as a matter of curiosity).

Thank you very much! This one has been bugging me for more than half a year now. Some days I would just randomly recall the scene and wonder… (And they changed the line for the anime, so even the official English subtitled release of the anime was no help…)

2 Likes

I was randomly in the mood to read a chapter of this today. I finished it much faster than usual, so maybe I’m getting better (or just getting better at being okay with not understanding everything :laughing:).

Maybe I’ll take the volume to work to read during lunch break or something.

3 Likes

Now it’s just being cruel. This one sentence from Chiya had two non-jouyou, non-WaniKani kanji in it. No furigana on either of them.

私の渾身のシャボン玉が… 儚いものね。

I’m curious @Naphthalene, do you know them on sight?

I know 儚い, it’s somewhat frequent.
I didn’t know 渾身

1 Like

Even though I read through all of volume one already, there’s a lot of kanji in it I haven’t learned yet. I decided to make a heat-map chart showing me what level I’ll need to reach before I can recognize all the kanji in each chapter. The resultant chart is…not encouraging.

2 Likes

How about making the same chart, but recognizing 80% of the kanji? And 50%?

1 Like

@Naphthalene: I can definitely do that later today. What if a page has the same kanji multiple times? Are you thinking percent of total kanji (including duplicates) or percent of unique kanji? Or both just to see what each looks like?

1 Like

I was thinking unique kanji. If you look up a kanji once, you should be fine with repeats over the span of four panels :thinking:

1 Like

More non-WaniKani kanji.

The reason I ask is because you get two different but both useful numbers between “here’s how many unique kanji I can read” and “here’s how many total kanji I can read (counting duplicates)”. For example, with ごちうさ volume one, once a person completes level 10 in WaniKani, they should be able to recognize 32% of the individual unique kanji in the volume, but due to repeated use of kanji (especially common kanji), they should be able to recognize 61% of the total kanji in the volume.

Going for unique kanji (and changing green to white for my heat map), we have for 50%, 80%, and 100%:

GochiUsa%20Volume%201%20Kanji%20Heat%20Map%20at%2050%20Percent

GochiUsa%20Volume%201%20Kanji%20Heat%20Map%20at%2080%20Percent

GochiUsa%20Volume%201%20Kanji%20Heat%20Map%20at%20100%20Percent

So, even though chapter 0 (the character introductions) requires level 57 to recognize all the kanji taught by WaniKani, you can recognize half of the kanji by level 15, and 80% at level 29.

5 Likes

Chino got a bit drunk.

2 Likes

It’s weird seeing a slice of life series like this where time actually passes. I’m reading volume 4 now, and the first few chapters show the characters moving to the next grade as well as commenting that it’s been a year since Cocoa came to the town.

2 Likes

I got a kick out of this.

I also ordered volume 7 even though I’m only on volume 4 since I’ve been making decent progress lately.

And arrived!

Though bad shipping makes me sad…

1 Like

I just finished volume 5 chapter 2 (there’s no overall chapter number). Now I see that the movie/OVA that came out in 2017 starts with volume 5 chapter 3, so I’ll soon be at completely new content! :tada:

Today I had 良 come up in my kanji lessons. I’m familiar(ish) with the kanji, but learning the pronunciation りょう was new for me. But seeing 不良 in the sample vocabulary, I realized I’ve seen this pronunciation before!

Rabbit%20Page%2025%201-3

Although it looks like I still have another pronunciation to learn later (野良(のら)):
Rabbit%20Page%2054%202-2

1 Like

Just gonna leave this here.

1 Like

こんじん and はかない? I think that is these two…:thinking:

Edit: 4 billion years late; whoops
Edit2: turns out it was こんしん and didn’t mean what I thought it did…:sweat_smile:

1 Like

One of those \text{YO} isn’t like the others.

3 Likes