えほんのチャレンジ:0歳 "Picture Book Challenge: Age 0"

You get a gray page where? When you try to access www.ehonnavi.net ?

No, when I ask to read the book.I get a grey page and now a blank page with “yuo excedeed the time limit” or something (which is normal since it’s been more than 15 min)

Do you have flash enabled? It’s annoying but you need it for the reader.

I do. And I updated it.
EDIT: turns out I had to manually accept flash execution and it seems to work now. Thanks

1 Like

I learned that they exist, but I didn’t quite catch what it was that they actually do…

Yeah I must have skipped over that part somehow :joy:

It was the yellow one and the other one on that page - I think it said it’s good luck to see one. But I was reading without a dictionary, and the part that explains their purpose was completely baffling. @gojarappe, did you get it?

1 Like

Well I’m here to say that I have proudly finished my first Grade 0 reader in Japanese. I read かばくん今なんじ?(Mr. Hippo What Time Is It?)

It was a lot harder than I expected and there was plenty of stuff I couldn’t translate. It was rather exhausting to be honest but it feels good to have exposed myself to some form of writing. I expected grade zero to have less words on the page than it did.

Looking forward to reading another. Thanks for sharing this resources!

Edit: I looked on Amazon and saw these graded readers. They looked very well made and I wanted the communities opinion if I should purchase one or keep reading the free stuff on EHonNavi.

3 Likes

The Ehonnavi stuff is aimed at natives! So it’s going to be harder than stuff aimed at foreign learners like the one you linked. Though I didn’t expect these age 0 books to be this hard either :joy:

If you wanna go through foreign learners graded readers instead, there’s also a book club of sorts for it! I have the ASK level 0 reader that you linked and I like it.

5 Likes

I’d missed the post for the graded readers club, so thanks v much for the link!

1 Like

I didn’t know that. Thank you. I was feeling a bit deflated when presumably an infant had a greater level of comprehension than me after two months of intensive studying :sweat_smile:

I think the foreign learner readers look enjoyable. Maybe I will get on board for the next absolute beginner book club read too!

3 Likes
Summary

AFAIK, these trains fix the tracks but it doesn’t teally explain much else. I took a photo to do more research last night.

4 Likes

I’ve been really enjoying reading these out loud to myself. I’m trying to do the sort of cadence you’d have if you were reading it to a young kid.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing!

Summary

Here are some words that I looked up:
でんせん - electric line
せんろ - railroad track
てんけんする - to inspect
しゃたい - body (of car)
じょうえつ - city in Niigata Prefecture
ほくりく - region on the Japan Sea side of Japan, including Ishikawa, Fukui, Niigata, Toyama prefectures

I guess we will have to do outside research if we want to know more…

1 Like

I really like this challenge. I checked out the website but it’s asking me to pay for the books? Will it be free if I make an account first?

I think what’s important to remember is that these books get read by the parents, not the kids, the kids just react, point and babble. They also probably read these more than once.

Anyway, it’s not that 0 year olds necessarily understand all of this but the parents think this is appropriate content to read to them.

Don’t be so hard on yourselves! :+1:

Yes, you need to make an account first to read for free.
Even then, not all books will be free, and you only get to read once. If you check out the OP, there is a pretty detailed guide on how to do that.

6 Likes

Sad they made it this hard (only read once and all that), but hey, free material! =D

I’ll give it a go too =)

I’m currently reading so much else though, so won’t push myself to finish all in the given time =^_^=

I’ll make my log here:

2/75

Log Age 0:
Book Date
はじめての A・B・C 2.3
かばくん いま なんじ? 2.3

Reading log, everything else: 多読 Log

2 Likes

If you want to read the same book again, you can always buy it. :wink: Wouldn’t make sense to give all their books away. But yeah, don’t we wish it were true…

2 Likes

Or just make a new account for a second read through :rofl:

They are in a weird middle ground, since you can read the entire book for free, but only once =P

2 Likes

True, it’s easy enough to cheat the system. :smiley:

Also, while reading the first chapter of 少女終末旅行 just now, I happened across an onomatopoeia I wouldn’t have recognized before even the few えほん I’ve read so far. Definitely learning! :slight_smile:

2 Likes