「に於いては」meaning

I was reading a Japanese web novel and I came across this sentence:

『ファイ』においては、だいたい五分の一の人間が魔法を使えます

I was wondering what に於いては meant, so I looked it up and found a Japanese website that explained it like this: 「◯◯に於いては」という形で用います。「 もしも〜の場合は 」という意味です。 but I wasn’t sure if that fits the context of the sentence or not. What does it mean? And what would the difference be between something like に関しては or something similar?

If more context is needed I can provide.

I read it as something like “[If Fai is used / If placed in Fai / As for Fai], about 20% of people can use magic.”

It might help to have some context. Is ファイ a device of some sort of device or place that allows some humans to use magic? Was the kanji 於 used in the novel, or was it in hiragana?

I’m reading a reincarnation novel and he’s talking to the angel reincarnating him, who is explaining how magic and things work in the world he’s going to. Fay is basically just magic.

それで魔法のある世界、便宜的にですが、我々はその世界のことを『ファイ』と呼んでいます。

And the oite was in hiragana but im pretty sure it’s the 於 meaning

1 Like

I could be wrong, but I from this sentence, I get the sense that Fay is the name of the world. In that case, the sentence could be “In Fay, about 20% of humans can use magic.”

2 Likes

oh shit that could be it. that makes a lot more sense now

1 Like

において is a like a fancy で most of the time.

6 Likes

yeah I think I get it now. Thanks for the explanation

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.