omg only three months :sob::sob: your memory lives forever ukki-kun djkfghjksd

so true :pray: :eyes:

1 Like
volume 1

finished volume 1!! :tada:

he’s not like other girls…

3 Likes

:tada::open_book: YESSS CONGRATS!!

How do you feel about the casual language and your reading speed for this volume now that you’ve made it to the end? I felt like I gained an entirely new type of reading skill after conquering Naruto’s speech style lmao

2 Likes

My reading speed has definitely gone way up!! I think what I’ve noticed most of all lately in my understanding of manga with casual speech is I’ve mostly acquired the ability to read ‘around’ the slang if that makes sense, like I feel more confident guessing a word is just some kind of curse word/exclamation so I don’t need to look it up, have a fairly good sense of what a word actually is when it’s drawn out or modified (さい to せ etc), that kind of thing. Also the hardest character in this particular manga is Naruto himself but the stuff he says is usually not that important HAHA so that helps. It’s cool, I first tried this manga when it was above my level and not really approachable, but after just a few months of study it feels super readable!! Excited to read on and see even more gainz in my manga reading speed :chart_with_upwards_trend: :chart_with_upwards_trend:

3 Likes

Amazing!! Major dattebayo moment :relieved:

3 Likes

me to my cats when I get home
(started vol 2!!!)

4 Likes

Ok, had a lot of free time at work today so I ended up reading like half the volume. (which is a lot for me :sob: i feel like all i did today was read naruto) Some parts were definitely murkier than others, like I have some trouble with Sasuke’s internal monologues for whatever reason. But I noticed that several times I would be super confused trying to parse what a character said, then I would read on and another character would re-explain what was happening again, so it was fine, haha. The lesson is to just keep reading!

One thing I’m really loving about reading manga in Japanese is the quirky speech styles for each character. It’s so easy to tell who’s talking when everyone uses different personal pronouns/ending particles/dattebayo. That kind of thing is so hard to get across in translation, so it’s way more fun to engage with the original language :grinning:

4 Likes

Grammar q:

vol 2 pg 130

What does くらい mean here when it’s attached to お前ら? Does it still have the -about meaning? I feel like I’ve seen something similar a couple of times now and I’m not getting the meaning.

3 Likes
vol 2 pg 130

I translated this loosely as “At about your age, these hands were already dyed red with blood”

Since the quote would still have made sense without くらい I’m willing to believe that it’s adding emphasis to him physically looking at them/visually assessing them by attaching “about” after “y’all” :thinking:

1 Like
Summary

Hmmm, I guess so. I think the redundancy was confusing me, to have both くらい and ころ in the same phrase.

1 Like
Summary

If I let myself overthink it, I wonder if it qualifies the 歳の頃 with extra approximation because he doesn’t actually know what their numerical age is? Maybe @polv 先輩 would have a better explanation :bowing_man:

Summary

Time about the age of (people about your size = little kiddy looking)

くらい doesn’t always refer to numerical amount approximation.

1 Like
Summary

does the use of two approximations in the same sentence, くらい and 頃, stand out to you as strange? i don’t think i’ve ever noticed it as being out-of-place before but i guess i can see why it could seem redundant :thinking:

Summary

I think it’s normal here. At least not feeling over-redundant right now.

Maybe as the first one is degree of something in any dimension, the latter is strictly about a point of time.

1 Like
Summary

Ohhhh, so its like ‘around the age of people about like you’ (as in young looking)… the ころ is numerical approximation as in age, and the くらい is general approximation of them/their appearance?

It makes sense now, thank you :bowing_man:

2 Likes
vol 2

so cute, shuriken blanket for sweet ninja dreams

2 Likes

annnnd grammar/comprehension q:

vol 2 pg 173

I only just studied the passive form so I’m still having trouble haha. The doer is marked by に, so Naruto is talking about them being killed by that guy, not that guy being killed by them, right?

Then I’m having trouble with what Kakashi says here. “in this world younger than you… (???) there are also guys stronger than me” is what it sounds like to me but that doesn’t really make sense :sweat_smile:

1 Like
vol 2 pg 173

Zabuza being killed by that brat who isn’t much different from me. (i.e. killed by the brat who is supposed to be just like my age.)

• この世界に (お前より年下で オレより強い ガキ) もいる

Both お前より年下で and オレより強い describe ガキ, so – there are brats who are younger than you, as well as, stronger than me.

3 Likes

Ohhhh, gotcha, it’s always those clauses describing nouns that get me. Thank you!

1 Like

And I finished volume 2! :man_dancing: That was as far as I read in English so from here on out it’s uncharted territory. :world_map: :compass: :ninja:

Thoughts on the volume: Felt like this one had a good balance between talking scenes and action scenes, and it was cool to see the introduction of other ninja opponents. Comprehension wise I feel like I’m hovering somewhere around 80% depending on who’s talking (I got scared when sakura pulled out the giant scroll about chakras but then it was actually pretty easy to read) and how fast I’m reading. Will admit I’m guilty of rushing through at times and just getting the gist haha. It helps that different characters will explain things multiple times, love reading stuff for children

I’ve already bought volume 3 so may continue on soon, we’ll see ~!!

4 Likes