🐉 極主夫道6巻 • The Way of the House Husband, Volume 6

Welcome to 極主夫道 ・The Way of the Househusband, Volume 6

Note: We read Volume 1 as the Beginner Book Club!, and are continuing to read as an offshoot book club.

If you want to take part, just buy the book and join in the discussion! We also recommend setting this thread to ‘watching’ so that you get notified when the discussion threads are posted.

Not sure if this is for you? Check out the Nomination Post and read the first chapter for free on Bookwalker - remember that your fellow book club members and the vocab sheet will be here to help you out though!

Buy the Book

Physical | Amazon JP
eBook | BookWalker, Kindle

If you haven’t used Amazon JP before, note that you will need a separate account.

Volume 6 Reading Schedule

Week Start Date Chapter End Page Page Count
Wk 1 July 23 Chapters 46-47 34 32
Wk 2 July 30 Chapters 48-49 66 32
Wk 3 August 6 Chapters 50-51 98 32
Wk 4 August 13 Chapters 52-53 128 30
Wk 5 August 20 Chapter 54+おまけ end of volume 6 31

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines before contributing!

Useful resources

Kansai-ben:

Yakuza slang/極道用語
Onomatopoeia
Contractions: Reference thread, more exhaustive list

1 Like

Excitement! I injured my money hand, but the upside of enforced time off is that I’m caught up to the end of volume 5, and can read with the club again:)

3 Likes

Chapters 46-47

Welcome to Volume 6!

I just noticed today that the links in the Buy the Book section above were still linked to Volume 5, they should be fixed now

• I’m reading along
  • I’ll catch up later
  • I’ve read ahead, but I’m here for discussion
  • I just like polls

0 voters

I’m glad you could catch up, but I hope you get better!

2 Likes

Already able to draw again, phew!

3 Likes

Chapters 48-49

Week 2 :smiley:

• I’m reading along
  • I’ll catch up later
  • I just like polls

0 voters

Chapters 50-51

Week 3!

• I’m reading along
  • I’ll catch up later
  • I just like polls

0 voters

Finally made it to volume 6! I’ll be able to catch up to this week’s reading in the next 3 days or so! Thanks for putting the vocab list together. I couldn’t have made it without you!

4 Likes

Chapters 52-53

Week 4!

• I’m reading along
  • I’ll catch up later
  • I just like polls

0 voters

1 Like
Relatable

1 Like

Chapter 54 + おまけ

And with this week we’re done with volume 6! We actually started week 5 on Saturday, sorry I took so long to post this week’s post, I didn’t have much access to my computer this weekend. I’ll be posting the polls for the next volume tomorrow.

• I’m reading along
  • I’ll catch up later
  • I just like polls

0 voters

1 Like
Comments

God, there are so many emotions at the same time in this face

Every man can relate

Wow, only 4 volumes to go, we’ve come such a long way

1 Like

I’m almost caught up :smiley:

I know, right? At the beginning of this series I was so intimidated by reading in general and by 関西弁, but now we have 6 volumes done!

It’s weird to think at some point we’re going to have to wait for more volumes :pensive: I just did the math and assuming we go at the same pace and that each volume continues to be the same length, we’ll be done a little over a year after we started Volume 1

page 131

どう始末つけるつもりや

So I was really confused about 始末(を)つける. I figured it out before asking the club, but I figured I’d share what I found in case anyone else was as confused as me

Jisho doesn’t have a single entry for this phrase which made it hard for me to figure out which meaning of 始末 this was, but goo actually lists 始末を付ける as a dictionary entry!

きちんと処理をする。締めくくりをつける。「もめごとの―・ける」

Basically it means to properly deal with something, or to bring to a finish / to complete

So then based on this I think どう始末つけるつもりや means something like “how do you intend to deal with this?” or “how do you plan on finishing this?”

2 Likes