🐉 極主夫道5巻 • The Way of the House Husband, Volume 5

Welcome to 極主夫道 ・The Way of the Househusband, Volume 5

Note: We read Volume 1 as the Beginner Book Club!, and are continuing to read as an offshoot book club.

極主夫道5

If you want to take part, just buy the book and join in the discussion! We also recommend setting this thread to ‘watching’ so that you get notified when the discussion threads are posted.

Not sure if this is for you? Check out the Nomination Post and read the first chapter for free on Bookwalker - remember that your fellow book club members and the vocab sheet will be here to help you out though!

Buy the Book

Physical | Amazon JP
eBook | BookWalker, Kindle

If you haven’t used Amazon JP before, note that you will need a separate account.

Volume 5 Reading Schedule

Week Start Date Chapter End Page Page Count
Wk 1 June 18 Chapters 37-38 34 32
Wk 2 June 25 Chapters 39-40 66 32
Wk 3 July 2 Chapters 41-42 96 30
Wk 4 July 9 Chapters 43-44 126 30
Wk 5 July 16 Chapter 45+おまけ end of volume 5 33

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines before contributing!

Useful resources

Kansai-ben:

Yakuza slang/極道用語
Onomatopoeia
Contractions: Reference thread, more exhaustive list

1 Like

Chapters 37-38

Welcome to Volume 5! In case you didn’t see it in the main thread, here’s a reminder that each week will no longer have its own page (similar to other offshoot clubs)

• I’m reading along
  • I’ll catch up later
  • I’ve read ahead, but I’m here for discussion
  • I just like polls

0 voters

2 Likes

I’m nearly back on track. Just finished volume 4.
Thanks for keeping the club alive @meagstudies. I assume you’re also the one filling out vocab. Huge Thanks for that! I really fell off reading when I found myself staring at an empty vocab sheet every time I picked up volume 4. Just couldn’t find the motivation there. At the time I was the only one reading along. (according to polls)

2 Likes

I’m glad you’re still reading along with us!

Yes that was me filling out vocab! I also fell really far behind for pretty much the same reasons, didn’t catch up until last week… (I feel bad b/c I’m the one running the club and yet I was so far behind! oh well I’m caught up now.) I think having a bit of a longer break than usual between volumes 4 and 5 helped too.

2 Likes

Heey, nice you’re catching up! I’ve been mostly up to date with the reading but also honestly been mostly winging it and not looking up or studying most words I didn’t understand if I got what they meant from context, need to get a bit more thorough with my studies.

2 Likes

Just finished up this week’s reading. From what I can tell Chapter 37’s all about Miku telling Tatsu to take the day to relax but he still feels like he needs to be doing stuff, which if that’s the case I feel that.

Chapter 38 was pretty easy imo because it was mostly Tatsu rapping about food and humidifers. But towards the end I kind of got confused about what was happening. Got the general gist of it though

That part on pg 29 with キューピー / キューティー though… I had to look up what キューピー was and I was not prepared :laughing: did Tatsu just compare that guy to one of those dolls??

and now for my favorite part of Ch 38 (pg 26)

absolutely obliterated

2 Likes

Chapters 39-40

Week 2!

• I’m reading along
  • I’ll catch up later
  • I just like polls

0 voters

1 Like

Chapters 41-42

Week 3!

• I’m reading along
  • I’ll catch up later
  • I just like polls

0 voters

(this is from last week’s reading, but I fell a bit behind so I’m posting it now)

So in Chapter 39 they participated in a Halloween contest, so I thought it would be fun to vote for which costume we thought was the best! Who will win the 温泉旅行??

ハロウィン仮装コンテスト!!
  • Torii
  • Tora
  • Masa
  • Tatsu and Miku
  • Yuuko

0 voters

2 Likes
Contest

I like the effort that Tatsu and Miku went through but I think Tora’s was the scariest by far hahaha

Chapter 41 comments

So this is where Miku’s cooking instincts come from hahaha, they really destroy those veggies

And the mother who is just tired of dealing with this shiet (even describes his husband as a runaway train, wow).

It all makes sense now

Game recognizes game

Chapter 42 comments

First time glassless Tatsu? I can’t recall another instance honestly

So this is how the angel of death looks like…

Curiosity question

Does anyone know where the term 若干 comes from? I hadn’t seen it before and can’t find its origin. It seems weird to me how the kanji for “young” and “dry” form the meaning “slight” somehow haha

2 Likes

Responses:

Contest

I was split between voting for Tora vs Tatsu and Miku. I ended up going with Tatsu and Miku b/c they were cute, but Tora was a close second!

Chapter 41

Together, they are unstoppable! (to Tatsu and mother-in-law’s dismay). Runaway train indeed…

I haven’t read chapter 42 yet, but I’ll look at your comments when I do!

I tried searching and found this entry in an etymology dictionary:

I’m not quite sure what it’s saying, but it looks like it has to do with the way the kanji is constructed? Because 干 breaks down as 十 and 一. And I think the 若 part is from 若く (jisho says it has an archaic meaning of “to equal”). So it means “like one and like ten,” so it’s used to mean a number that’s not a distinct number but isn’t large either.

Please take this info w/ a grain of salt though, I’m not 100% confident in my translation.

My thoughts on chapter 41:

I found this chapter pretty easy, especially with all the panels that were just 「お義父さん!?」. I’m glad, b/c I struggled with Ch. 40.

Except it took me several rereads to understand what they were talking about on page 75… ラリアット and 肝を冷やす threw me off (tbh I’m still not quite sure what they mean by ラリアット… but I get the gist of the conversation now)

But yeah I really liked this chapter. Especially (page 73) Tatsu dramatically sacrificing himself for the food lmao. And I love it when we get a closer look at the characters.

2 Likes

Yeah, I had found some kind of explanation like the one you linked but it just sounded too wacky to be true hahaha, though I guess it might be true, since I really can’t find a different one and sometimes the wackiest is the most possible!

2 Likes

gasp 不死身の龍 getting sick? :fearful: impossible.

Kanji question pg. 82

What is this kanji here?

It looks like 完 + ス but I can’t seem to find a kanji like that and 完ス doesn’t seem to be a word. I’m guessing it’s supposed to be something indicating they’re a disease?

Chapter 42 Responses:

I know right?? I don’t think we’ve ever seen him without his glasses! even when he’s supposed to be resting earlier in this volume back in Chapter 37 he’s still wearing his glasses

Miku saving the day with grenades / supplements was so funny

I love everything about how this chapter showed the disease and the white blood cells battling, and then showed what was actually happening

2 Likes

I think this is ウイルス (virus)

3 Likes

omg that makes a lot more sense! I could have sworn it was 完, but now that you say that it’s definitely ウイルス! I was even thinking “this probably means virus or something, but I can’t tell what it is!” :person_facepalming: Thanks for the help!

3 Likes

Chapters 43-44

Week 4!

• I’m reading along
  • I’ll catch up later
  • I just like polls

0 voters

1 Like
Comments

God it felt good understanding the ways Masa was trying to get お年玉 through to Tatsu hahaha. Felt like being in on an inside joke。
I also liked the three different drunks we got on chapter 44, the sad drunk, the happy drunk and the sleepy drunk, and they all really matched each character haha. I was expecting something to happen with Yuuko as well but we only got to see her in the background having some fun, it seems she left when she saw what had become of the others

1 Like

Chapter 45 + Omake

Sorry this is up a bit later than usual, some personal stuff came up and I couldn’t get on my computer until now.

Anyway, with this week we’ve finished 5 volumes and 800 pages of 極主夫道!!! (at least according to natively, which says each volume is 160 pages)

• I’m reading along
  • I’ll catch up later
  • I just like polls

0 voters

I’ll go ahead and make polls about the next volume in the main thread, just a heads up that post might not be up until tomorrow, but I’ll try for today

2 Likes

Another volume done! おつかれさまでした~

Omake comments

You and me anchor lady, you and me

I didn’t quite get this ending, why is the crow asking if he is the bad one? And then the author on the side saying that he for sure is not the bad one in this situation. I’m a bit confused haha

1 Like

I thinks it’s because the cat is acting like it wasn’t all his idea.