耳をすませば 📚 | Week 3 Discussion

Chapter 2 (first half)

Start Date: 2022-09-23T15:00:00Z
Last Week: Chapter 1 (second half)
Next Week: Chapter 2 (second half)

耳をすませば Home Thread

Pages

This week we’re reading pages 55–77, as per numbering in the physical re-release.

If you have the original release, post a photo of (part of) a page with a number, and I can see if it matches the re-release or not.

For digital readers, this week is pages 51–73. However, your reader software’s internal page counter may list this week as pages 52–74 (due to counting the cover page).

If you’re uncertain, this week’s final page has this as the topmost panel:

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur out major events in the current week’s pages, and any content from later in the book/series, like this: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]

• When asking for help, please mention the page number (or % for eBooks).

• To you lurkers out there: join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

6 Likes

追いついた。 みんなどこ?

4 Likes

読書しているよ。

後は質問がある。

4 Likes

I think I read ahead a little – wasn’t paying attention to the page numbers (a good sign!). I like how the characters’ relationships are developing so far.

Question about p. 58 (digital) / p. 61 (physical)

しかし高坂先生にはまいるなあ
…変人かあ。

Is まいる “参る” in the sense of “to be defeated” (the second definition on Jisho), i.e. literally “I’m defeated by Mr Kousaka”? I’m interpreting it very loosely as “I can’t believe Mr Kousaka said that… That I’m a ‘weirdo’…” but I’m not sure that’s quite right.

5 Likes
Pg. 58(Digital)

I took it as the 3rd definition on Jisho: to be annoyed.

“I’m annoyed with Kousaka-sensei… (Calling me) a strange person, huh…”

I could be wrong though. I’m not totally convinced of my interpretation there either. I’ve asked my tutor; hoping she will answer back soon, and when she does, I’ll share her thoughts!

My comment for the week:

Pg. 64(Physical)

I didn’t really expect to see the furigana that isn’t the actual furigana for the kanji here, but it snuck in a little bit, eh?

I have to be honest, a sentence here and there aside, I feel like this is the easiest time I’ve had reading from the get-go. Other author’s writing styles have taken a bit of time to adapt to before things felt easy, but this manga just flows super easily. There is a good chance I’ll end up just reading ahead and finishing it; usually I try to stick to the schedule, but I’ve been busy and having to put off some of the other clubs (hoping to catch up with all of those this week) I’m in. I think I might carve out a little extra time for myself by reading ahead here and having it mostly off my plate (I’ll still come and contribute to discussions of course!), since it’s really not taking me much time at all to read.

I’m enjoying it though! There’s definitely a confidence boost in picking something up and just being able to read it, despite it not being one of the ongoing series I’ve gotten comfortable with. There are times when it’s hard to judge if I’ve made much progress or not, but having something like this is a nice affirmation!

8 Likes

That reminds me, I completely forgot to put the page numbers and an image of a panel from the last page for this week’s reading. I’ve now added them to the top post!

7 Likes
pg 58 (digital) response

I interpreted it as that 3rd definition too (to be annoyed)

6 Likes

I heard it’s quite common for children in Japanese schools to be expected to clean their own classrooms.

5 Likes

I found myself flipping back to check earlier pages several times during this week’s reading. To check if I remembered what character someone was, because there are several characters we’ve only seen for like 2-3 pages before this and it is too easy to forget their appearance. I don’t usually have this problem, I wonder if it comes from reading each part with like a week in between.

Ah well, considering I’m reading physical it really isn’t that problematic.

Story comments (spoilers)

I foresee drama coming around Sugimura. If I read this week’s reading right, he’s interested in Shizuku and while Shizuku’s best friend Yuuko is interested in him.

Honestly really enjoying this manga so far. I look forward to finishing it so I can check out the anime/movie.

6 Likes

That’s fair. I dismissed the “annoyed” reading because it doesn’t seem to match his facial expression; he seems mildly surprised but not that bothered to me. :sweat_smile:
I guess I was thinking more along the expression 参った.

4 Likes

When I quick glanced through the definitions I also went with definition 3. Also notice that the #3 definition have two terms: to be annoyed; to be nonplussed​*. So maybe it is more on the nonplussed side. Or mildly annoyed.

*Note that nonplussed in the USA has taken on the opposite meaning of the original word. A British dictionary has the definition as “so surprised and confused that one is unsure how to react”.

6 Likes

Ah, you’re right, I’d missed that!

2 Likes

Yeah, the only reason I personally tuned out the “nonplussed” is because I realized upon moving to Canada that the US misuses the term to mean literally the total opposite of what it is supposed to mean.

Original definition of nonplussed: “to be unsure about what to say, think, or do.” (which would fit here fine).

American definition of nonplussed: “not bothered, surprised, or impressed by something.” (which I don’t think fits the context well, since he seems mildly surprised/bothered).

It felt safer to ascribe the annoyed definition with that chance for misunderstanding (especially because if they are linked together on the same definition, that basically means the difference in Japanese is going to be negligible).

4 Likes

I added a note to my post. I’m fairly sure jisho means the non-US definition, so I added that to the post in case of confusion. Even the American dictionary suggest the usual definition of nonplussed, before the US-only one.

This really would explain why I have had such a hard time figuring out what that word means from context (I don’t think I’ve looked it up much), because I’ve probably read it in both US and UK fiction and they would have the opposite definitions for those. :woman_facepalming:

And the reason I mentioned nonplussed is because annoyed can be a mild word or a very strong word, and there is no way to tell which might be in use for this Japanese word (possibly the full spectrum, I tried to look in a monolingual dictionary but when it came to the annoyed definition it held too many unknown words for me…). And in this case, the strong version of annoyed doesn’t really fit and might be why the confusion of which definition to use came up in the first place.

4 Likes

Yeah, definitely agreed that Jisho means the original definition, and not the American definition; when I read the Japanese definition here, I get the sense that it has the same variety; 閉口する feels pretty strong (dumbfounded; at wit’s end level of annoyed/confused (which, to be fair, nonplussed is used in varying levels of confusion, despite the definition seeming to limit it to being heavily confused)); よわる feels relatively mild, and 困る feels somewhere in-between, but that’s all personal perspective, and I could be wrong on that. :sweat_smile:

Either way, I think we agree on the definition, and it’s just the semantics of “Hmm, I wonder how strong this actually is” that could be causing some confusion. For me, regardless of whether we translate it as annoyed or nonplussed, he is only mildly so, which I probably should have indicated in my original answer. :grin:

6 Likes

American language user here. This is weird because that’s not how I would define non-plussed at all… I would basically define it as “annoyed, but only slightly and/or underwhelmed, unimpressed”. Probably just a regional variation, I guess.

4 Likes

Yeah, it’s very likely a regional thing.

1 Like

Can someone tell me what the kanji is on page 64 (physical), the column to the left of 会うたび。。。下さい。

2 Likes

It is 表情 (ひょうじょう).

1 Like

Thank you, but no, I mean there’s a kanji I don’t know (and don’t know how to look up) right before (above) "ーかざわめく”

ありがとうございます!

1 Like