美少女戦士セーラームーン 第二期 ブラック・ムーン編 🌑

I’d say in this case google is a bit closer than your translation. ということ has a meaning in itself. In this case I think it is probably about making a phrase a noun, sometimes translated as “it means” but sometimes doesn’t really translate to English at all. 考えられる often means “can be considered as” or similar meaning. And after looking at the actual panel and what came before it, I think も might just be the also particle in this case. So from these definition (I got them from BunPro.jp), it would become something like:
“That place can also be considered enemy territory.” / “It means that place can also be considered to be enemy territory.”

DeepL says: “I suppose it’s possible that it’s hostile territory.”

So yeah, something along those lines. I haven’t quite read up to this part, so I wouldn’t know which nuance to go with exactly.

I tried to translate very literally early on in my reading (not Sailor Moon), but when I started to get a general understanding, I stopped doing that. Translating Japanese to English is way too much of an art. The languages are structured differently, but also come from entirely different ways of thinking/speaking, so translations often miss a lot of meaning unless you are willing to add in a lot more English to get the nuance across.

I personally started to feel that if I truly wanted to understand Japanese by itself, that is gonna take a lot of context. A LOT OF IT. And the sooner I stop trying to force Japanese to fit into my English understanding of language, the sooner Japanese can have a chance to truly take hold. At least this is how I feel and comes from my experience with getting so fluent in English that people usually can’t tell at all in text that I’m not a native speaker writer.

So I don’t know if I will go back to really try for full comprehension again, it might depend on how hard something is for me to read. The harder it is, the more full comprehension of sentences is needed to even get the gist of what is happening.

Last year when I read 結婚しても恋してる 1 (manga), I had to struggle through every sentence, barely understanding anything by itself. Both a lot of vocab, casual language, and just grammar I hadn’t seen. I might be reading volume two as soon as I get my books (they are currently with a friend in Japan since they didn’t manage to ship out before shipping mostly closed down), and I don’t know if it will still be as hard for me, but if it is I will once again have to go back to really digging into every bit, because with that manga missing part of the sentence could mean missing the whole tone of a conversation. :sweat_smile:

Sailor moon is not like that for me. Whether it is because I just understand most of the language anyway (except for a lot of words that enemies use, *le sigh*) or because it is written for a younger audience so the language is slightly simpler because of that.

4 Likes