笑わない数学者 - Mathematical Goodbye (S&M Vol.3)

Welcome to 笑わない数学者 - Mathematical Goodbye (S&M Vol.3)

This book is part of the Saikawa & Moe (S&M) Series Book Club. Join the Saikawa & Moe (S&M) Series Book Club here!

This is Volume 3 in the Saikawa & Moe (S&M) series by MORI Hiroshi.
Volume 1: すべてがFになる - The Perfect Insider
Volume 2: 冷たい密室と博士たち - Doctors in Isolated Room
These have already been read by the club.

Despite this book being Vol. 3, it shouldn’t be much of a problem to read it without knowing the other volumes. There seem to be some back references to persons we met in the preceding books but it’s probably not too involved. In any case, if you are wondering about anything while reading this book, you are of course free to ask and somebody can fill you in.

Where to buy

Amazon | Bookwalker

Discussion Threads and Reading Schedule

We started reading on Dec 24th, 2021.

Week Start Date Chapter Page Count
Week 1 Dec 24th Chapter 1 ~54
Week 2 Jan 1st Chapter 2 ~42
Week 3 Jan 8th Chapter 3 ~43
Week 4 Jan 15th Chapter 4 ~42
Week 5 Jan 22nd Chapter 5 ~46
Week 6 Jan 29th Chapter 6 ~35
Week 7 Feb 5th Chapter 7 ~45
Week 8 Feb 12th Chapter 8 ~32
Week 9 Feb 19th Chapter 9 ~47
Week 10 Feb 26th Chapter 10 ~40
Week 11 Mar 5th Chapter 11 ~23

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun!

Member List

Are you planning to read 笑わない数学者 - Mathematical Goodbye (S&M Vol.3) with the book club?

• Yes
  • Yes, but I might start late
  • Not sure
  • No

0 voters

If so, which version will you be reading?

• eBook
  • Paperback

0 voters

Building Layout

Illustration of the 三ツ星館

Proper Noun Readings

Proper Nouns
Name Reading Notes Proof
犀川 創平 さいかわ そうへい (Week 1)
西之園 萌絵 にしのその もえ
片山 和樹 かたやま かずき Moe’s classmate
天王寺 翔蔵 てんのうじ しょうぞう Professor, grandfather of 片山 和樹
西之園 恭輔 にしのその きょうすけ Moe’s deceased father
湯川 ゆかわ Architecture researcher
天王寺 律子 てんのうじ りつこ Wife of 天王寺 宗太郎; actress
天王寺 俊一 てんのうじ しゅんいち Son of 天王寺 宗太郎 and 律子; genius mathematician; actor
鈴木 昇 すずき のぼる Driver; his mother works for the professor
天王寺 宗太郎 てんのうじ そうたろう Professor’s eldest son; mathematician; famous author; deceased
片山 亮子 かたやま りょうこ Professor’s daughter; 和樹’s mother; 俊一’s aunt; widow; relationship with 湯川
片山 基生 かたやま きせい 亮子’s deceased husband; 和樹’s father; architect who designed the remodelling of 三ッ星館; died of cancer
鈴木 君枝 すずき きみえ Professor’s housemaid
片山 志保 かたやま しほ 和樹’s older sister
諏訪野 すわの Moe’s butler
鈴木 彰 すずき あきら 昇’s father (Week 4)
萩原 はぎわら Police officer investigating the case on-premise
3 Likes

Hello and welcome to the third book in MORI Hiroshi’s Saikawa & Moe series!

We are currently polling for a start date over in the book club’s home thread.

For the schedule, the chapters are of pretty equal length, and therefore my suggestion is to read one chapter per week (see OP). Please note that the page counts might not be 100% correct because I re-calculated them from the ebook, but it should give you an idea.

I can fill in the correct page counts if somebody provides me with an index of the physical book, but I don’t think it’s that necessary for us anyway. (But please speak up if you think that it would be a good addition to have the real numbers!)

Happy reading everybody :blush:

4 Likes

Annnnnnd - here is Week 1!

I’ve taken the liberty to pre-date this week’s start to Dec 24th. I highly encourage you to read at least the first two or three pages on that day :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Happy New Year everybody! Here is week 2:

3 Likes

I really like that we’re going by chapter for our schedule. Easy to know when to stop so I don’t spoil myself with knowledge meant for future weeks. (Just have to remember that each chapter has several parts :durtle_durtverted_lvl1: )

4 Likes

Here is week 3! Looking forward to seeing what will happen the next morning :grin:

2 Likes

On to week 4! Curious to learn more about all the puzzles we got so far :laughing:

2 Likes

Week 5 is here! (Almost half of the book is done with this week! :partying_face:)

3 Likes

Here is Week 6! This week we will be entering the second half of the book :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Week 7 is around the corner! Will there be new revelations? Everybody is reading with bated breath :wink:

2 Likes

On to week 8!

1 Like

As the end is drawing near (at least of Vol. 3 :sweat_smile:) I was wondering whether any of you would like to continue with 詩的私的ジャック - JACK THE POETICAL PRIVATE (S&M Vol.4) and so I’ve set up its home thread and a poll.

3 Likes

I guess I should get started if I want to catch up before 薬屋 the end. :eyes:

3 Likes

We’re almost there!!! Here is week 9:

Oh hey! I’ve caught up even if it is only for a day :smiley: Finished chapter 8. Tomorrow’s new week is chapter 10. Not far behind anymore, but then again, there’s another advanced book club staring up tomorrow. Nafu already posted the first week :eyes:

3 Likes

Same, haha. I just finished chapter 8. It’s nice to be caught up. :joy:

4 Likes

Omg, you’ve really been racing through this book :joy:

1 Like

I really wanted to be at least caught up before 薬屋のひとりごと started! :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

The penultimate week is upon us!

2 Likes

Here it is, the long-awaited (sorry everybody! :sweat_smile:) thread for the last week:

4 Likes