神さまがまちガえる | Week 7 Discussion

Pages 127 - 142

Chapter 4 part 2

Start Date: 17th December
Previous Week: Chapter 4 part 1
Next Week: Chapter 5

神さまがまちガえる Home Thread

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur out major events in the current week’s pages, and any content from later in the book/series, like this: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]

• When asking for help, please mention the page number (or % for eBooks).

• To you lurkers out there: join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

5 Likes
  • Kasane (thinking): 他の人のお願いちゃんと内容と聞いてから返事しなよ
    I assume that’s “When others have a request, reply [only] after properly asking for details.”, but what exactly is that しな at the end? Continuative する (but why?) + “don’t you think?” or some other な like that?

Could someone type out page 142 for me? Sorry, I’m bad with kanji in the first place, and the handwriting really doesn’t help…

Chapter notes

Ha, page 127, Kasane being kinda unsatisfied with how fast humans adapted to the situation… Kasane being the culprit confirmed?! :smiley:

On page 129… if Kon is actually walking past the school (as 学校の先の角を右 suggests), he’d immediately see if the map is correct (school is on the right side) or wrong (school is on the left side). I wonder if Kasane drew that alone correctly…

Also, page 140 - since there are plenty of bugs that happen to the world (I assume), I don’t think Kasane would need a “simulated experience”. But I can understand that she’s amused by her being the only one affected by the bug’s problems there.

I liked Kon actually trying to prank Kasane! She definitely deserved it after taking advantage of him being so nice.

8 Likes
Page 128

The しな is a quite strong imperative from [1]

Page 142

Right to left

これを後に直そうかな?

いんじゃね別に左で

伊与田ちゃんはなんでまだ左で食べようとしてるんだよ

なんか悔しくて…

7 Likes
Page 131

おつかいひとつでえらく苦労してしまった

It’s a case of too few kanji where I struggle to understand.
I can come up with

お使い一つで偉く苦労してしまった

お使い : errand
一つ : one thing
偉く: extremely

So something like “I had to do a tremendous effort for just one errand”
It fit the context at least.

About the chapter I thought Kasane was making very suspicious statement in page 127, but later in the chapter, when she was being pranked, she seems to believe she was affected by a bug. So I don’t know what to believe now ! Maybe she just has a chaotic character and genuinely enjoy watching people drowning in confusion while the bug happens :thinking:

7 Likes

Thanks, @Shadowlauch!

And I think you got it re: page 131, @Makushi_Rutsu. That’s how I understood it too.

And regarding Kasane… considering how this played out as a slice of life so far, I’d be very surprised if this manga turns out to be deep enough to back up Kasane’s slightly suspicious remarks so far. I think she just enjoys watching how people deal with the bugs, and was a bit disappointed that with this relatively quick and easily solution she won’t get to see more creative ways. She’s definitely slightly chaotic though and (as we’ve seen in this chapter) likes pranks and messing with people too, so yeah, that might be another factor.

Although, having said that… I am still pretty suspicious of how disinterested she seemed in her own condition, and whether there are other people like her. As a researcher, no less!

9 Likes

ふっかぁぁぁぁつ! I fell behind by three weeks because I finally dove into trying a bunch of manga outside of book clubs. But now I’m back and caught up!

Story comments

I also think she just likes seeing how people deal with obstacles. And she also likes messing with people. But it would be hilarious if she turned out to be some sort of trickster god :stuck_out_tongue:

9 Likes

Not being human would also explain why human-type bugs don’t work on her… :laughing:

Nice! Hope you had fun!

6 Likes

Definitely! Unfortunately some of the manga I liked are actually quite recent, so I caught up to the latest volumes and now have to wait for more to be released :sweat_smile: I guess it’s also fortunate, because I can look forward to more!

8 Likes

This week I have a lot of questions (especially about the last few pages, I don’t know, maybe I’m just too tired today…)

Page 127

もう少し混乱が続くかと思ってた

I understand it as something like “I though that chaos will last a bit longer.”, but I don’t know what the role of か in this sentence is.

Page 138

やっぱり思い付きじゃこんなもんかぁ

With the context, I understand it as something like “Was it that bad idea after all?”. Is it correct? Am I even close?

Page 140

そのうち困らせてみたいよな

I understand it as something like “I want to try to annoy you some day”. But it sounds far too malevolent for Kon, so I guess I’m missing something…

Page 141

紺: これを機に直そうかな?
恒成: いんじゃね別に左で

I don’t get what they’re talking about. The best that I could come up with is
Kon: With this opportunity, shall I fix it?
Kousei: That’s fine, particularly with left.

It makes no sense to me, so I guess I got it totally wrong.

As you can see, I decoded one kanji differently, so it might be my own fault that I don’t understand the sentence, but my personal pattern recognition sees 機 instead of 後.

Bonus question: Page 127

(on the screen)
使反転しないよう *

What is the missing kanji (my *)? It’s barely readable and I guess it requires more language experience to decode it. Also, did I get the first one right?

Chapter comment

Kasane, what the hell?!

7 Likes
Page 127

I think it’s かと思った:

Page 140

No, I think you got the right track there. I think he wants to make her struggle a bit at least, considering that she basically pranked him today, and generally nothing seems to faze her.

6 Likes
Page 138

Not completely sure, but my understanding is that this means something similar to “As I thought, this idea could only go so far”.

やっぱり => After all / as I thought
思い付き => idea / plan
じゃ => informal way to say では
こんな => this kind of
もん => abbreviation of もの; thing.

So literally it would be “After all, with this idea, (it turns into) this kind of thing”. So I believe he means that he recognizes that with this idea, it was going to turn out like that.

Page 140

I mostly agree with your translation, though “annoy” is not the word I’d use here for 困らせる, which means basically giving someone trouble or inconvenience. Annoy definitely sounds stronger. 困らせる makes it feel more like a prank.

Page 127

I believe the missing kanji is しゅう. Can’t confirm if the first one is correct, but does look like it.

I’m also unsure about page 141. 後 makes sense in context, but the kanji strokes don’t quite look like it for me either.

7 Likes

I haven’t actually finished reading the chapter to get the full context, but I do agree it is not 後. The leftmost radical is definitely a 木. I think @electrosuccess has the right kanji, but without context from the chapter, I’m not entirely sure what the conversation would be about, so I want to actually read it and revisit this. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ah, actually, I think I’ve got it.

If everything swapped from right to left (which I gather from what little of the chapter I’ve read so far, and the fact that Iyoda is attempting to eat with his left hand “still” – implying to me that everything swapped, not just writing), then it makes sense to me. Kon is shown as being left handed in the beginning of the chapter (don’t know if this is commented on at any point during the chapter), so the conversation is literally, “Should I take the opportunity to fix (my being left-handed)?” and Kousei is telling him, “It’s fine, isn’t it? Using your left hand isn’t particularly (implied: a bad thing)”… I think. Guess we’ll see if I still think after I finish. :stuck_out_tongue:

Update upon completing the chapter: yep! I still think that’s the gist of the conversation (with the added caveat that the bug is not happening during this scene, since it’s just a prank, but he is still considering using the chance to “fix” his being left-handed.)

7 Likes
Page 138

I think @2OC3aOdKgwSGlxfz has the right idea. I think the definition of 思い付き here is “impulse” or “whim”. Basically, it was something he came up with on the fly, without a lot of thought or planning. That’s why he’s not surprised that it fell apart.

Page 141

I kind of let this one go (including what the kanji was, so thanks for figuring that out!), but since someone else asked, I went back and found another scene of them eating on page 60. I believe as part of the prank, they sat on opposite ends of the table compared to how they usually sit. Maybe Kon was asking if they should fix their seating after the jig was up. And Keisuke (was that his name? I forget) replied that it was fine how it is, with him on the left.

If you look at page 135, he was actually on the right, but I guess due to the bug, to his perception he was on the left.

I’m not very confident about this interpretation though. The left-right reversal stuff makes it hard for me to be sure that what I’m saying makes sense :sweat_smile:

Edit: I take it all back! @MrGeneric’s explanation makes way more sense!

8 Likes

After looking at it again I would agree with opinion that it is indeed a 機に. Initially I read it as such but it did not make sense to me in a sentence since I had not come across that kanji on its own, so I crossed it out. But apparently 機に is a thing!

7 Likes

Thank you all for your answers and the discussion on the last page! @MrGeneric , I also think that your interpretation is correct. It just didn’t come to my mind, because the idea of fixing lefties is (fortunately) long dead where I live (I heard that it used to be quite brutal in the past). And I hope it’s the same in Japan :grinning:

6 Likes

Today I had a classic case of the Baader–Meinhof phenomenon, because I found the following sentence in 薬屋のひとりごと8. I guess this word will stick.

これを機に、私にも名を与えてくれないでしょうか?

7 Likes

The missing kanji is しょう - 正 There are two on’yomi readings.せい and しょう。 I remember this because, if you’re correct you need to say or show me. 正直 is in wanikani…

1 Like

Did you perhaps misunderstand the question? @electrosuccess was asking what the kanji before 正 was, which @2OC3aOdKgwSGlxfz already correctly indicated was 修 to make the word 修正.

And if this part of your question hasn’t already been definitively answered @electrosuccess, I do believe 使 is the first character to the right of her finger, though you skipped some characters. I believe it’s 使用時に反転しないよう修正.

4 Likes

Thank you for your correction.

2 Likes