極主夫道 | Week 6 Discussion

Bonus Chapters

Start Date: 08 January
Last Week: Here

極主夫道 ・The Way of the Househusband Home Thread

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines before contributing!

Useful resources

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur out major events in the current week’s pages, and any content from later in the book/series, like this: texthere
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number (or % for eBooks).
  • To you lurkers out there: join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this point yet
  • I’m dropping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

7 Likes

For those of us who already watched the anime, it looks like the last bonus chapter will be totally new content! I’m saving it for a time when it feels like my brain is functioning within normal parameters … :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Finished!
I didn’t originally think that this book was going to be the sort of thing I enjoyed, but figured I may as well join in anyway - but I’m so glad I did, because I loved it. Its so funny, and unexpectedly sweet.

Big thanks to @NyappyTiramisu for organising everything, and also to everybody who filled in the vocab sheet and participated in the threads. I’m a little shy and I tend to mostly lurk - so I’m very grateful to all of the people who keep these threads alive.

13 Likes

Thanks @NyappyTiramisu for suggesting this book as well as moderating. I’m not really into manga all that much but the story’s premise about a reformed yakuza member caught my attention. Just like @lucylavelle, I’m also glad I read this fun book. The writer has a great sense of humor and the artwork was outstanding but the things I enjoyed most were learning stuff about the yakuza as well as kansai ben. I never knew kansai ben was so different from standard Japanese. For me, this was a nice introduction to this dialect.

And thanks to everyone else for your help and comments!

11 Likes

I finally read the last bonus scene, and I definitely have some questions … Will try to post them in the morning when I’m more clear headed. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

This was a fun manga! I laughed out loud quite a bit reading it.

9 Likes

Finished!! This was such a fun read, I’m so glad I decided to join the book club in time for this manga! That last bonus scene was a bit difficult, but I think I got the gist of it

I noticed 尋常 has been listed twice in the vocab sheet (for pages 155 and 157). I think this is because it’s in the title on 155 but doesn’t show up in the actual reading until 157. I was going to get rid of the duplicate, but I don’t know which entry would be better to keep, the one in the title or in the reading

9 Likes

Finally wrote up my questions about the last skit!

1. page 157 Why does the nerdy clerk shout “いざ 尋常に” when he first starts putting coins in the machine?
my googling yielded

ready? fight!

尋常とは「普通に」ということです。

卑怯なことをせずに戦え!ということですね

So I’m guessing now that it’s a reference to video games …

1. page 158 starting with “このガチャのアソートは大体決まっている” until the end (in other words, the whole page haha) … Here’s what I’ve worked out so far. First he says the ratio is generally fixed (decided). Then in the following panels he says the secret’s out, it’s 5 out of 50. And then “in other words, if we have ten …” He definitely has more than ten, so he should have some different characters, but he doesn’t, so he’s implying it’s rigged, I guess?

Now that I’ve worked them out to the best of my ability, I don’t feel as mystified, but I’d still appreciate any other views. :slight_smile:

Just personal opinion, but I’d delete the later one and keep the earlier one.

7 Likes

That’s what I was thinking too, but I wasn’t sure since I didn’t know how we handle chapter titles (there haven’t been any in this book until now). I went ahead and deleted the later one

7 Likes

Clerk…? My understanding is this was just another customer wanting to use the Gacha machines… Oh, that clerk…

Regarding 尋常に, my interpretation is that it comes from the expression 尋常に勝負 which means “let’s a have a fair match”. (Source - basically it says 尋常に means something along the lines of ぐるしくない - e.g. not in a disgraceful manner ). This is normally used before starting a match, so it coincides with your googling - I believe it can be used in sports, but I have heard it in video games too (Genji from Overwatch uses this phrase).

Basically this phrase is used by this person to signal they are ready to start the challenge (of getting the rare gatcha, basically).

I agree with your interpretation. He seems to be implying that since 5 out of 50 are the rare ones, he should have a good chance to get one by pulling 10. What conclusion can be reached from the fact that he only gets the same common figure though, I’m not sure - maybe he’s just very unlucky.

9 Likes

Chapter 5. The overly talkative Animeland store clerk. Same build, hair, glasses, shirt, and clipped run-on dialogue.

9 Likes

I think the bonus chapters are among my favourites so far, I always love seeing the lives of side characters :grin: Thanks everyone for reading along, this was a lot of fun and the discussions extremely helpful! :blush:

13 Likes

Wow these chapters were pretty fun, it’s nice to see a bit more about the other characters and gives us a bit of a breather from the househusband’s adventures, which is nice!

I have a couple questions, mainly words that I couldn’t decipher:

Page 150

I’m not sure what シノギ means

I found either this:

or the noun version of this verb:

Either way I don’t really understand what he means, I can stretch it to something like “the first thing in my path to endurance…” which would really be something like “The first thing in my routine…”, however it seems a bit too much, does anyone have a better interpretation?

Page 153

What’s サツ here, I can only find it to mean “Police” and it makes no sense in this context, gaaah

5 Likes

About page 153: This is サッと with a small ツ, meaning quickly :smiley:

6 Likes

I just can’t distinguish the small and big つ in this manga, it happened in another page but i could figure that one on my own. Also the mix of katakana and hiragana confused me, I thought it was particle と and that he went to shop and サツ , whatever that meant hahaha. Thanks for the clarification!

5 Likes

Oh I feel you, I constantly mix up big and small つ in vertical writing, particularly in manga :sweat_smile:

5 Likes
Pg. 150

if I’m understanding this Wikipedia article correctly, the third dropdown talks about Yakuza/gangsters using the term シノギ to basically mean their methods used to get funding, which I imagine would be their day-to-day stuff, so I think you have it right that he is meaning it’s his routine.

6 Likes

That’s actually the と particle, that’s why it’s written in hiragana. This is one of the properties of onomatopoeic words - a lot of them end in と or accept the と afterwards (this is usually marked with “Adverb-to” or “Adverb taking the to particle” in Jisho)

So the real onomatopeia is “ザッ” and と is the particle that quotes it and turns it into an adverb. This might seem a bit strange, but it’s something that also happens in English. 「With a “bam!” the door closed」- the “bam” sound gets quoted.

8 Likes

The clerk is too relatable. I feel called out for when I pull JoJo gacha :sob: :joy:

good thing there’s Mercari

4 Likes