極主夫道 | Week 1 Discussion

Chapter 1 and 2

Start Date: 04 December
Next Week: Here

極主夫道 ・The Way of the Househusband Home Thread

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines before contributing!

Useful resources

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur out major events in the current week’s pages, and any content from later in the book/series, like this: texthere
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number (or % for eBooks).
  • To you lurkers out there: join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

10 Likes

I’m just going to leave this handy Kansai-ben grammar index here, since I already needed it on the first page with actual text and I feel like it’s going to come in handy over and over again :smiley:

24 Likes

i got a question: in page 19, there’s “年寄り”(としより)but the furigana, or whatever it is, says かモ, does anybody know why? Also, two other minor doubts: in page 8 there’s “忘れてるで” and i don’t quite get the conjugation (is the で in the end a kansai dialect thing? or am i missing something?), and in page 14 there’s “不死身の龍”, if 不死身 is a な adjective why is の used?

edit: i understood the かモ thing

7 Likes

Yup, it’s used like よ in standard Japanese.

8 Likes

不死身の龍 was tatsu’s nickname as a yakuza. 不死身 is being used as a noun here - the whole thing roughly equivalent to “tatsu the immortal” and not “immortal tatsu”.

in general, compound nouns are linked together with の in japanese (although you can drop the の for some words)

9 Likes

Ooh ok now i get it! Thank you

3 Likes

Sometimes authors use furigana for things that don’t have anything to do with readings. For example you somtimes see 彼 have the name of the character that is being talked about as furigana or a place like スーパー have ここ as furigana.

In this case I think the カモ is short かもしれません which adds a certain uncertainty. So the character in that panel thinks (hopes) that mostly older people live in this complex but he isn’t quite sure.

Scratch everything I said. カモ refers to a “sitting duck” (Jisho)

JP definiton: (2)利用しやすい相手。負かしやすい相手。「いい―にされる」

14 Likes

to elaborate, sometimes the furigana is used to show the hidden/implied meaning of what’s written. so the guy is saying “年寄り” but really he means “カモ”. it’s a little bit confusing since it’s different how furigana is usually used, but it’s fairly easy to spot when you know it’s a thing :sweat_smile:

edit: actually I’m not sure which one is the bit that gets said and which is the meaning I’m not even sure if it’s used consistently

12 Likes

On the last page of chapter 1 (page 18?), what does Tatsu mean by ここはひとつこれで。。。? I’m assuming it’s something regarding the coupon but the more I think about it the less I can make sense of what he’s actually saying :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

edit: this is wrong, it’s the other way around, see discussion below

My thought (after having encountered it a grand total of two times now) was that the furigana refers to a meaning which is understood by the character speaking, but is not necessarily immediately clear to the reader.

6 Likes

Maybe it’s like “here have one of these”?

10 Likes

I’ve seen where it seems like it can go one way or the other. In my own manga reading experience, most often the furigana is what’s being said, and the main kanji/kana is the meaning.

Example from another manga

i-161x

i-162x

I haven’t started reading yet, but based on the premise, I would expect the character here actually says カモ. (But I could be wrong.)

I’ve seen people mention an anime adaptation. Any chance the line appears there?

10 Likes

On page 23 there’s another example of kanji and furigana not matching up, and judging from the other person’s reply there it seems that in this manga the furigana are what’s actually being said by the character.

10 Likes

I just checked the anime. Looks the word the salesman uses is カモ! And the script seems to be pretty much word for word.

13 Likes

ここはひとつ is a set phrase you can use when you’re making a request

the whole thing means what @MaraVos said

yeah I confused myself earlier, I think this is the case (although he thinks it rather than says it)

11 Likes

Hello everyone, I’ll be posting full translations for my progress. I’ll be hiding them, so don’t click unless you ready to get spoiled. I skip onomatopoeia at this point, but here is a great resource for this just in case Search @ The JADED Network

Any corrections are very welcome. I’m beginner reader and my grammar is quite low level. So far I enjoy that there is no furigana since it makes me really recall all the kanji.

I’ve met two non-WK kanji in Chapter 1
忽 sudden, abrupt, unexpected
潰 crush, smash, break

Chapter 1 translation

よし。。。まあまあやな
Alright… not bad at all
やばい遅刻だ!!
Crap! I’m late!
まだ時間やないで?
Why, it’s not the time yet?
今日大事な会議あったの忘れてた!
I forgot about an important meeting today.
ごめんタッちゃんもう行くわ
Sorry, Tacchan, I have to go
おい。。。!朝ごはん
Oi! What about breakfast!
行ってきます
Bye!
騒がしいやつやで
She is so noisy!
とりあえず洗濯して。。。
First of all, do the laundry…
それから買い物行って
Then, some shopping
ん。。。ああごはんやな
Hmm, what about lunch…
お弁当お忘れてるでぇぇ!!!
You forgot your bento!
もう一度聞くけど。。。職業は?
I ask again, what is your occupation?
専業主夫です
I’m a full-time househusband.
ん?ま。。。まさかお前。。。
Ha? Could it be, you…?
"不死身の龍”か?
Are you “Immortal Tatsu”?
一晩に単身丸腰で抗争相手の事務所を十カ所潰したと言われてる伝説のヤクザ。。。!!
A legendary yakuza, who is said to put out of business 10 offices of his opponents in one night, while being alone and unarmed.
不死身の龍!!!
Immortal Tatsu!!
その後忽然と姿を消したって聞いてたが…
I heard that after that he suddenly disappeared, but …
おい!!動く。。。
Hey! He makes a move!
ここはひとつこれで。。。ほな
Here, take this… Well then…
待って待って待って
Wait, wait, wait!

7 Likes

Adding to what @NyappyTiramisu mentioned, I found an article someone wrote about some of the Kansai ben phrases/expressions used in this book and I personally found it very helpful. Hope it helps you too if you’re not familiar with this dialect.

9 Likes

Hey, really enjoying this read so far but I had a little trouble with page 15 and just wanted to check my conclusion was right. I put it in spoilers because it seemed kind of like a big moment.

so it basically says 十力所潰した (じゅうちからところつぶした) does this mean that the policeman is saying he beat up a ‘ten power place’ in the legend, so basically a he beat up a really powerful enemy spot? I think that makes the most sense me given the context. I’m pretty sure i understand the rest just that little phrase stumped me a little.

5 Likes

oh I understand now reading your translations! its a counter for places. That makes a lot more sense. Thanks!!

6 Likes

I don’t think that was too bad overall for me besides the kansai-ben which I haven’t come across before in my immersion. Even then, with some referencing of the website linked I was able to muddle through that. Hopefully this will help me get more used to it in future. Both chapters felt fairly short so I was able to get through them in some downtime from my coursework. The art is fantastic - love the juxtaposition of Tatsu’s deathly seriousness with the mundanity of his everyday life

8 Likes