本陣殺人事件 (Advanced Book Club)

Thanks for the schedule proposals, and nice job on writing that program! I would rather go for a 7 week schedule. Any of the 7 week proposals are fine by me.

3 Likes

You’re right, I should have put up a poll straight away :woman_facepalming:

Which schedule options do you all prefer?

• 7 Weeks (optimal)
  • 7 Weeks (slow start)
  • 7 Weeks (slower start)
  • 8 Weeks (optimal)
  • 8 Weeks (slow start)
  • Other (please explain)

0 voters

1 Like

Just pinging everybody who voted in the main polls for this book:
@Natsuha @Hijiki @Naphthalene @Shigurette @Redglare @rodan

If you’d like to vote in the poll for which schedule to read the book at, the stage is yours :tada:
(in the post above this one)

3 Likes

I already started the book to get a headstart. All other readers are probably much faster reading than me and I don’t want to fall behind too much.

5 Likes

OK, basically everybody voted for the 7 weeks optimal schedule, so that’s what we’ll follow. I’ll update the OP in a minute.

(I hope that’s ok for you @wifflebatknight ? If you’re in doubt whether you can catch up with the reading speed, please feel free to start earlier or trail behind a little bit)

3 Likes

Happy New Year everybody! Let’s start the year by reading the first week of our 本陣 murder case :slight_smile:

4 Likes

On to week 2!

2 Likes

Here is week 3:

4 Likes

On to week 4!

1 Like

Week 5 is already here:

1 Like

I just purchased File 1, so I guess I’m committed to reading that after 本陣殺人事件 and before moving on to the other stories in File 2. Anyone else feel like they might enjoy doing that? :eyes:

2 Likes

I’ve personally been planning to follow the chronological publication order, at least for the novels (based on the Kindaichi wikipedia page):

本陣殺人事件(『宝石』1946年4月号 - 12月号)
獄門島(『宝石』1947年1月号 - 1948年10月号)
夜歩く(『男女』(『大衆小説界』)1948年2月号 - 1949年12月号)
八つ墓村(『新青年』1949年3月号 - 『宝石』1951年1月号)
死仮面(『物語』1949年5月号 - 12月号)
犬神家の一族(『キング』1950年1月号 - 1951年5月号)
etc. …

I’ve only read read 本陣 and 獄門島 so far, but 獄門島 is pretty explicit about being a direct follow-up to 本陣 in terms of charting Kindaichi’s activities since then (unlike 本陣, it isn’t set pre-war) in a way that I thought was super interesting.
I’d definitely recommend reading it if you enjoy 本陣 at all, as I found it to be a bigger and more interesting expansion of the same kind of style and substance as in 本陣殺人事件, and it was my favorite novel I read last year!

There’s a lot of options order-wise though!
It looks like the “files” put 八つ墓村 first - I wonder why?

If an offshoot club continued with the stories in the back of 本陣殺人事件, or 獄門島, I’d be really happy to see it and would probably be able to restrain myself from reading more Yokomizo until it finished and hopefully moved on past that and I would join then.
If an offshoot club continued with 八つ墓村 I’d also be really happy to see it, and I would join immediately, although I might not be able to resist cramming in 夜歩く to keep my own order consistent :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I hope you liked the story so far because there is not much time left with it :slight_smile: Here is the penultimate week:

2 Likes

There wasn’t really a particular reason I wanted to read file 1 next, except that it’s the first volume, haha.

Knowing now that the chronological order is completely different, I’d actually prefer to read in chronological order myself. If there’s more people interested in continuing on, that’d be great. But if it’s just us, I’d feel bad making you wait. :joy:

That would go… File 3, 7, 1… Oh man, haha.

2 Likes

Eh, don’t worry too much about that! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Getting someone else to read 獄門島 would be reward enough, and I’ve got plenty of other things to read.
夜歩く seems like probably a relatively minor installment so I haven’t been rushing to read it (though I am definitely looking forward to 八つ墓村 and 犬神家の一族 down the line :eyes:)

2 Likes

Aaaaand here is the last and final week:

3 Likes

Wohoo! You made it 'till the end :tada: That means it’s …

Satisfaction Poll Time!

Have you read 本陣殺人事件?

• I finished it
  • I’m still reading and I plan on finishing it
  • I don’t plan to finish it
  • I never even started it

0 voters

If you read the book, how would you rate it on a 5 point scale? (1: hated it, 5: loved it)

• Unsure / Didn’t finish

0 voters

If you read the book, how would you rate its difficulty?

• No effort at all
  • Minimal effort
  • Moderate effort
  • Significant effort
  • So much effort my head might explode
  • I don’t know

0 voters

Participation Statistics

4 Likes

Count me in for an offshoot club, either for 獄門島 or the other 本陣 stories! I was thinking about moving on to the other stories right away, but I can hold if we’re going to read them as a group.

3 Likes

:partying_face:
Nice! So far it’s only Rodan, you and me, which is totally fine by me. I’m thinking we probably wouldn’t make good use of weekly threads with 3 people (of which one has already read at least the next book), but having a central thread for the series and then maybe one per book? would still be nice. What do you think?

As for when to start reading, I’m good to go from next week. :+1:

3 Likes

Sounds good to me! Should we start with the other two 本陣 stories? Or save those for after 獄門島?

2 Likes