本好きの下剋上: Week 9 discussion

Join the Advanced Book Club here!

本好きの下剋上 Home Thread

Week 9

Start Date: October 10th
Previous week: Week 8
Next week: Week 10

Reading:

Chapters 24 - Epilogue (商人との会合 and, well, エピローグ) (34 pages/ 11%)

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :books:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but haven’t reached that part yet
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

5 Likes

(End comments)

The revelation by Benno was kind of interesting, but it would also mark somewhat of a genre shift, which gives me mixed feelings. Then again, we don’t know any details or if it’s even real (as opposed to superstition). Plus when you have screaming, bleeding vegetables, I suppose anything is possible. :upside_down_face:

It would be interesting to give some kind of explanation for why Main’s body was able to take in Urano’s consciousness though. Maybe we’ll find out some more details on this.

5 Likes

I took it at face value at the time (not going to say how it turns out), and the reveal that “wait, magic is a thing?” completely blew my mind. The bleeding vegetables, dancing mushroom et weird fruits were weird, but I just dismissed it at the time. But suddenly it’s full on fantasy! Which is a genre that I do enjoy. I really had to know what happens next, which is what got me in my current predicament adventure.

Does it count as spoiler if I say that I hope so too?

4 Likes

I haven’t read this part yet but I was very amazed when it was revealed in the anime. It’s really cool that they can go so long without even hinting that magic is a thing

4 Likes

Aha! so the screaming radishes WERE part of the plot!

4 Likes

The start date should be October 10th, right? I had a moment of panic thinking I forgot to read last week, but the home thread says Week 9 starts on October 10th. :laughing:

7 Likes

I actually don’t remember the radishes and the shrooms being in the anime

1 Like

Not to forget the parue and [redacted] trees.

That’s what makes it so grounded, though. People don’t go out of their way to point out things that are completely normal for them and for most people in this world life is mundane.

Also, all the slow relationship building and seeing what people do in their day to day lives will better help understand the motivations and the more weird aspects of certain characters. Not on the level of an actual novel, but way more than you can expect from your typical young adult novel. Plus of course it creates actual bonds between characters.

FUTURE SPOILER

And there’s actually a bigger reason for all the boring everyday stuff. It forces Myne to deal with people and create relationships in a way that will gradually change her character and help her grow as a person to the point she’ll actually start doing things for other reasons than pursuing books.

2 Likes

Parue is what I meant by “weird fruit”. [Redacted] does not show up until the next volume.

1 Like

The book was good. It was hard at first but I got used to the vocab. Still have trouble with the long explanation of how she creates stuff but other than that. It seems that someone is not liking the future books but I won’t be discouraged by it. I will read them and see for myself. I like the difference between the anime and the light novel. It was fun to have a different perspective. I saw the anime so it’s not bothering that much but I felt like there was a lot of discussion about future things that should have waited until we read that part. I know we all want to talk about the series because we like it(or not) but I don’t think there should be so many future spoilers. It kind of excludes people who have read that far. AI can understand if it’s related to this week but when every week there is future spoiler it’s kind of bad. Also trying not to discourage people by giving our opinion about future books could also be nice. I just wanted to put it here. That’s my opinion though take it as you will

5 Likes

Was there? I remember some from the very start and from a discussion with you, but that’s about it though :thinking: looking through the threads I can see a few more things but they aren’t really spoilers. It’s more like people wanted to be on the safe side of things.

Definitely! If you like the setting, the series is amazing. Also it keeps getting better I can’t stop reading it.

4 Likes

Just finished up this week’s section! I gotta say, コリンナ was distracting me for the the entire time I was reading page 316. I can see why オットー fell so hard for her; she’s quite cute indeed :smile:

The reveal about her illness (身食い, what a dreadful name!) was pretty interesting. I do like the idea of magic being seemingly hidden behind a class divide, that’s a neat way to approach it. It also gives a hint as to what the 下剋上 in the title is referring to :thinking:

7 Likes
Epilogue question

誰にも言ったことがないんだけどさ、書類仕事は七割方、任せられる

I want to understand this 七割方 part better. If I just saw 七割 I would read it as 70%. What is the 方 adding? I found 割方 as an archaic meaning for “percentage”, but I assume that’s not it.

2 Likes

It adds the meaning of “about”

Interestingly I found that meaning, but when a cross referenced a Japanese dictionary I got the impression it was only used for time.

1 Like