本好きの下剋上: Volume 3, Week 6 discussion

Join the Advanced Book Club here!

本好きの下剋上 Home Thread

Week 26

Start Date: February 13th
Previous week: Week 25
Next week: Week 27

Reading:

Chapters 16-17 (フリーダとの契約, 洗礼式の行列, 33 pages/ 8%)

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :books:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but haven’t reached that part yet
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

2 Likes

This week’s chapter was super wholesome

This week's spoiler

The discussion between Mayne and Frida was interesting. Mayne just gave up the recipes for less than half it’s worth. Beno will be angry. I wonder if it’s why Beno was disappointed during the parade. Maybe it was because Mayne was too extravagant. Another interesting thing was the magic contract. Seems like Beno have stronger connections than expected.If the guild master don’t have it then why Beno have it.

I feel Mayne’s pain when everyone was looking at her.

I had a question. What was the thing between the knight and church?

She is wondering how the knight and the church are connected and how the church gets money. How do they work in time of peace and time of war. Right?

3 Likes

He is not disappointed, he is stunned. You do realize how she looks like, right? As ルッツ said

まるでお金持ちのお嬢様みたいじゃない!

But even if you don’t get it, I think it will be made obvious the next time they meet.

I don’t get your point. ベンノ has weaker connections than the guild master. The guild master can make magical contracts if he wants to.

Between soldiers and the church. In the previous sentence, she is thinking that the building looks like it is, or was part of, a castle. In this sentence, she is giving the counter argument that it would be weird to do so, even in times of peace, since you would expect a religious building to be build thanks to the contributions of believers.

Edit:

> まぁ、可愛い。小さな結婚式みたいね

Pff, @icefang97 is getting more fodder for their wrong pairing.

4 Likes

First of all thx you for your help
second of all…THEY ARE A MATCH MADE IN HEAVEN. Don’t you dare attack my perfect ship.

For the magic contract thing, didn’t Frida said something about magic contracts being super rare or something? I thought it was mentioned that you need connections with noble to use it.

I think I know where you are coming from about the Beno being stunned

3 Likes

Well, she said it’s super expensive and you would only use it if you are in an overwhelmingly inferior position, e.g. if you are making a contract with a noble. フリーダ did wonder on what occasion マイン could have possibly needed it, too.

Just like the Titanic, it’s a mighty ship indeed. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

The funny thing is that we never seem to agree on books. Even in re-zero we disagreed on some points. Are you a agent of chaos brought from hell to destroy my dreams. I will never let you sink my Yamato and Musashi battleships. Molon Labe.

5 Likes

I was wondering about that too, actually. It’s pretty fun (albeit incomprehensible from my point of view).

I do not need to do anything. You are blind now but one day you’ll see.

5 Likes

I see really well. I think someone should wake up to reality.
Here is the truth. Let it be burned in your mind(this week stuff)

1 Like

It actually is.

At the same time, there’s only @Redglare left to be spoiled, so… :woman_shrugging:
(I’m not saying they do not matter, just that statistically they’ll probably only see that once it’s not a spoiler)

The animator did a terrible job on her dress. It’s supposed to look like she is literally made of money, but that one looks kinda plain.

Second, that’s not what he said in the book (but at the same time, maybe they cut the scene where his brothers are saying the exact same thing from the anime)

3 Likes

My bad I assumed everyone read this week stuff before watching comments about it

3 Likes

… now that you mention it, that’s what I do as well. :thinking: I’m used to put spoilers that way since that’s what was decided from the start of the book clubs, but I wonder if it makes sense.
Oh well, better safe than sorry.

4 Likes

That’s what I think too. I don’t know what you can get from reading comments before the book apart from maybe grammar but even that is blurred.

Hey we agreed on one thing. It’s not related to book content though

2 Likes