Join the Advanced Book Club here!

本好きの下剋上 Home Thread

Week 31

Start Date: Match 20th
Previous week: Week 30

Reading:

Story 4-End (47 pages/ 11%)

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :books:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but haven’t reached that part yet
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

2 Likes
マルク 私と旦那様

The first two pages just killed me. Took lots of time to understand them. I still don’t know the different between, ダルア, and ダプラ. I think the first one is a normal contract while the second one is like a contract to become the new owner??? Or it had something to do with the previous owner and new owner??? someone have a better definition for me because it appeared a lot in two short stories. ダプラ seems like the more important one.
Beno want to adopt Lutz was funny. Beno admits Lutz only sees Mayne. Another point for my ship.(Told you I was gonna be annoying about it.)

商人見習いの生活

This was a nice chapter. Not sure what all the bell ring stand for in real-life time but Lutz sure is working hard. Lutz realizing the importance of saving was nice. I’m sad that his brothers are still jerks. 頑張れルッツ!

ギルド長の悩み種

Damn now I feel sympathy for the guild leader. He wanted to help Beno but don’t understand social cues. He just understands business stuff. Funny that his butler says the same thing about him than Mark about Benno. It’s nice that he tried to help Mayne by boasting about her abilities.

Well, I guess it’s over for this book club I don’t know if I will continue with the next volume next week because I have other books to read but it was fun.

2 Likes

ダルア is an apprenticeship where you go to a shop for two years. You are not entrusted with important tasks.

ダプラ is a permanent contract (although there’s a trial period of 8 years or so). Once made permanent, you can do anything in the shop (i.e. you can be entrusted with the shop, but that doesn’t mean it is yours).

But… you are continuing with the series right? Otherwise you’ll never know why your ship is wrong :anguished: I think you need to read at least volume 7 (so the volume just after the end of the second season of the anime).

4 Likes

Thx for the explanation.

You mean how my ship is invincible? I already know that.

I really don’t understand where that assurance comes from, (technically minor spoiler for season 2/book 5-ish) considering you already know it’s impossible to happen :sweat_smile:. Honest question: is an impossible relationship still possible as a ship? Maybe I just misunderstand what ship means.

1 Like

I have no idea what you mean by impossible. They are a match made in heaven.

Hm… maybe they cut it from the anime? but (I guess it’s a minor spoiler, then; still season 2/ end of book 5 halfway through book 6) it is illegal for them to get married for instance. Also, they biologically can’t have children together. I guess it doesn’t prevent anything from happening, but that would be weird (as in she would keep him as a lover on the side of her official mariage).
I just don’t understand what you mean, I guess.

1 Like

Um… I don’t think this is explained in book 5. I mean, things don’t really escalate until the end of the second arc, no?

2 Likes

From the end of volume 5 (or maybe beginning of volume 6, I should check; should be season 2 anyway) we already know that she will have to become a noble. Also, it was already explained that you can only have kids with people who also have magic power (maybe as early as volume 4, but I’m fuzzy on that).

Edited to remove extra info.

I’m pretty sure it isn’t even brought up until perhaps the end of book 6.

I just confirmed that the second part is mentioned in book 4. I’m checking the first one.
It’s from the prologue of volume 6; I can’t find any prior references (it’s very late here, though, so I might have missed something). Eh, I was one chapter off, not too bad :sweat_smile:

Well, the second part gets talked about with connection to the fairy tale book she wants to write.. This is also a large part of why the dream of Myne’s father is so outrageously unrealistic.

The first part, though, I’m not sure it really gets to the point of being a certainty. In fact, she resoundingly rejects the offer, if memory serves.

1 Like

She does, but then フェルディナンド tells her she has to accept before she turns 10. (That conversation is at around 25% of book 6) Anyway, based on the title of the book, I didn’t even doubt it would happen :sweat_smile:

And especially if you see the subtitle of the third arc, but as far as the story goes, I’d say that everything was still very much up in the air until, well, huge spoilers.

1 Like

hmmm but she does call カルステッド “未来の義父様” halfway through book 6. That sounds pretty decisive to me :woman_shrugging:

Hmm… She does? I thought she didn’t even learn about the plan until the talk with the High Priest at the end of the book?

1 Like

Yep (first sentence; from the middle of book 6; I’m really sorry this thread isn’t at all about the current week’s reading :sob:)

Oh right, I forgot, the talk with the parents is in this book. Never mind.

1 Like

Anyway, the point was that, having seen season 2 of the anime, @icefang97 should know all that too.

I don’t think it was brought up yet in the first two seasons, though.

Yeah, just checked the synopsis of the last anime episode and it ends at book 5: List of Ascendance of a Bookworm episodes - Wikipedia

There is a conversation with Karstedt about it, but it’s left as a teaser.

2 Likes