本好きの下剋上 Home Thread

Week 30

Start Date: Match 13th
Previous week: Week 29
Next week: Week 31

Reading:

Stories 2-3 (30 pages/ 7%)

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :books:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but haven’t reached that part yet
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

2 Likes

By story 2 and 3 I suppose you meant イルザお菓子のレせピ and ベンノ、カトルカーレの試食会 right? I don’t know if it’s only me but these short stories are harder to understand than the main one. Maybe because the point of view is different.

イルザお菓子のレせピ

A nice little cooking chapter in which I tried to follow cooking stuff then gave up. I know what they were saying but did not bother looking at all the cooking techniques or names of ingredients. These cooking chapters are killing me. Mayne found her new personal cook. I love the Frida/Mayne interaction.

ベンノ、カトルカーレの試食会

I knew Beno wouldn’t like that Mayne traded information. At least she made them pay for it. Beno wanting to fight on a cooking business. When I think about it Beno’s business is getting more and more relying on Mayne. If she ever dies, Beno will be in trouble because he can expand his shop but without news idea he won’t be able to keep up on all front right? Maybe he will be well-established enough. Just thought about it for some reason.

I had one question
Beno(i think) says : なあ、ルッツ。アイツは何で命のかかった状況で騙されてまだ笑顔で付き合えるんだ.。He is asking why アイツ (which is suppose is Mayne) is still smiling when she was about to die.(the situation with the church previously.) Is it correct?
I just love Lutz’s answer after it. “There is no way I’d know I just don’t like Frida that much.” I suppose the question had something to do with Frida then…
Lutz being direct. I do understand Lutz since Frida does everything to get him away from Mayne.

Btw @Naphthalene Even Beno think Lutz might like Mayne. He remembers his young day when he was in love. Lutz Mayne = Best ship.(Yes I will say it every time because ship war is one of the most important things.)

Beno says that he never spoke to Mayne about why he hates the guild leader but he did once right? She he was holding Mayne in his arm he talked about it no?

Why when Beno said he make a magic contract Mayne looked surprised? She knew about it though. Was she surprise he revealed it?
It was more than one question but only one was about grammar so… NO COUNT.

He is wondering why, after being screwed over while she was in a life-or-death situation (when the head of the guild lied about the price of the magic item, hoping to get to “buy” her if she didn’t have enough money), she can still interact with them (the head of the guild and his family) with a smile.

About the other questions, I need to check the context/actual sentences.

It’s hard to have a ship war if you are missing so much information.

2 Likes
One answer

Yes, how can she go on smiling like that when her life is hanging by a thread and she is getting tricked left and right.

Yes, basically Benno thinks she is being taken advantage of (by people other than him, such as Freida) and that has him frustrated and worried. And Lutz has his own reasons to feel jealous, stemming from that time when he was treated like a third wheel.

Furthermore, there are philosophical and class differences in play here. Benno cannot understand Myne just freely giving away valuable trade secrets, especially in her situation. And Lutz knows that Freida can basically run circles around him and Myne and there’s nothing he can do about it. Coupled with how naive Myne is, that is a dangerous combination.

I think he talked about why he is not married and never will be that time, but not really much about his relationship with the guildmaster.

I’m not entirely sure, but maybe it’s because he says he signed two magic contracts because of her and Myne only knows about one?

1 Like