本好きの下剋上: Volume 2, Week 6 discussion

Join the Advanced Book Club here!

本好きの下剋上 Home Thread

Week 16

Start Date: November 28th
Previous week: Week 15
Next: Week 17

Reading:

Chapters 13-14 (ギルド長の孫娘, フリーダの髪飾り) (31 pages/ 9%)

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :books:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but haven’t reached that part yet
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

2 Likes
This week spoiler

I like Frida. I understand her hobby of counting money. Mayne should have taken the money she was ready to pay for it. I guess I understand not wanting to rip off someone but still… If she is ready to pay that much. I found funny that the whole family starts making hair ornament. I feel sad for the father though. He is left out of the fun. I do understand that Lutz needs to be the one to make the stick part but which makes it uncomfortable thinking about what would happen if I was Mayne at that time.

4 Likes

Was planning to finish in one session last night but my sister forced me to play videogames with her :pensive: life is hard

Anyways

Frida was a fun character. She might be craftier than her grandfather. Hearing that she had (emphasis on past-tense) 身食い is interesting, but what’s more interesting is that Mayne (off-screen?) asked both Otto and Benno about it and they claimed to not know what it was? I wonder what that’s about.

4 Likes

That seems fun though. Family video is really fun. I don’t have a sister though

This week spoiler

It was not off-screen it was at their first meeting around the end of volume 1. Slightly after (still book 1) Otto and Benno were shown to know about the diseases.

4 Likes

Things related to 身食い will become clearer in this volume, but the gist of it so far is that Myne told Benno and Otto that she was sick, but they didn’t know any illness of that description. Frieda was only able to recognise it both because she has suffered from the same condition and she has had the connections to find out what it was.

1 Like

Well, the epilogue of volume 1 still makes clear that Otto had never heard of that condition, if I remember correctly. I think it’s fair to assume it’s not well known, especially if you do not have connections with the nobility.

Yup. Here’s the relevant part:

Summary

「なぁ、ベンノ。マインちゃんが言っていた体の中で熱がうごめく病気って心当たりあるか?」

マインから質問を受けた時の反応で、もしかしたら知っているのではないかとオットーは思ったが、やはり知っていたようだ。

言った方が良いのかどうか悩むようにベンノの視線が少しばかり上へと向いた。しばらく考え込んだ後、ベンノにしては聞きとりにくい声で、ぼそりとこぼす。

い、かもしれないとは思った。ただ、確証はない」

「……身食い? なんだそれ? 何の病気だ?」

「病気じゃない。魔力が自分の中で増加しすぎて、魔力に食われて死ぬんだ」

普段耳にすることもない単語が出てきて、オットーはぎょっと目を剥いた。

魔力というのは、平民は持たない、不思議で強大な力だ。滅多に見るものではないから、よく知らないが、魔力がなければ国を動かすことはできないと言われている。だからこそ、魔力を持つ貴族は国民の上に立ち、国を治めるのだ。

「……それほど数は多くないが、貴族以外にも魔力を持つヤツはいる。ただ、魔力を放出するための魔術具が高価だから、貴族以外はろくに魔力が使えないというのが正しいな」

貴族とも付き合いのある商会へと伸し上がっているベンノは、この国のことに関してはオットーよりも知識が深い。

「確証はないが、身食いなら、あの嬢ちゃんが年齢よりずっとちっこくてすぐに倒れるのも説明はつく。そして、本当に身食いなら、魔術具がないと、あの嬢ちゃんは……近いうちに死ぬ」

「なっ!?」

マインを溺愛するギュンターの姿が脳裏に浮かび、オットーは冷水を浴びせられたような気分でベンノを凝視した。だが、ベンノの表情も真剣で、冗談やからかいを口にしているわけではないのがオットーにはわかる。

「成長と共に増えてくる魔力に食われるらしい。魔術具がない平民は洗礼式までもたないことが多いそうだ」

「何か方法はないのか?」

ベンノならば何か良い手段を知っているのではないか。すがるような気分でオットーが尋ねると、ベンノはぐしゃりと髪を掻き上げて、溜息を吐いた。

「貴族と契約すれば、魔術具を借りることができるから、死は免れる。……だが、一生飼い殺しだ。その貴族のためだけに力を使わされ、生きることになる。このまま家族のもとで死を迎えるのと、一生飼い殺しと、どちらがいいかはわからんな」

ベンノの言葉は救いでも何でもなかった。どちらがいいのか、オットー自身にもわからない。死にたくはないが、貴族に飼い殺しにされるのもごめんだ、と心底思う。

「オットー、あまり深刻になるな。まだ身食いだと決まったわけじゃない。だいたい、本当に身食いだったら、そろそろ死にかけている。あんな風に外を歩き回れないんだ」

「そう、なのか……」

わずかな安堵と多大な不安が同時にオットーの胸に押し寄せてきた。

マインは何度も死にかけている。外を歩き回れるようになったのは、春からの努力の成果で、それまではほとんど外に出られない子供だったと聞いている。

本当に大丈夫なのだろうか。ギュンターに報告した方がいいのではないだろうか。そんな胸の内をぐるぐると回る、何とも言えない感情を、オットーは酒で腹の奥に流し込んだ。

Benno knows what 身食い is and he knows that Myne is sickly and a vague description of her illness, so he’s able to suspect they might be the same thing, but he doesn’t really know for sure. And besides, he’s a calculating bastard who would withhold such information if he thought it might be to his advantage. Though Frieda doesn’t tell Myne everything either for much the same reason. And Myne doesn’t really think it’s that big of a deal, so she doesn’t press for it.

1 Like

Ohh I took it to mean “I asked them again now that I know the name of the disease and they acted like they didn’t know.” I did remember Benno talking about it (by name) in the epilogue, which is why I thought it was noteworthy. Your explanation makes way more sense.

1 Like