Schedule

Week Start Date Chapter Page Numbers
Week 1 March 11 11 and 12 3-32
Week 2 March 18 13 and 14 33-60
Week 3 March 25 15 and 16 61-88
Week 4 April 1 17 and 18 89-116
Week 5 April 8 19 and 20 117-146

Vocabulary

Please read the guidelines on the first page before adding any words.

Discussion Guidelines

Spoiler Courtesy

Please follow these rules to avoid inadvertent ネタバレ. If you’re unsure whether something should have a spoiler tag, err on the side of using one.

1. Any potential spoiler for the current week’s reading need only be covered by a spoiler tag. Predictions and conjecture made by somebody who has not read ahead still falls into this category.
  2. Any potential spoilers for external sources need to be covered by a spoiler tag and include a label (outside of the spoiler tag) of what might be spoiled. These include but are not limited to: other book club picks, other books, games, movies, anime, etc. I recommend also tagging the severity of the spoiler (for example, I may still look at minor spoilers for something that I don’t intend to read soon).
  3. Any information from later in the book than the current week’s reading (including trigger warnings that haven’t yet manifested) needs to be hidden by spoiler tags and labeled as coming from later sections.
Instructions for Spoiler Tags

Click the cog above the text box and use either the “Hide Details” or “Blur Spoiler” options. The text which says “This text will be hidden” should be replaced with what you are wishing to write. In the case of “Hide Details”, the section in the brackets that is labelled “Summary” can be replaced with whatever you like also (i.e, [details=”Chapter 1, Pg. 1”]).

Hide Details results in the dropdown box like below:

Example

This is an example of the “Hide Details” option.

The “Blur Spoiler” option will simply blur the text it surrounds.

This is an example of the “Blur Spoiler” option.

Posting Advice

• When asking for help, please mention the page number, and check before posting that your question hasn’t already been asked. As the threads get longer, it becomes more convenient to use the Search function, which is located in the upper right corner of the forum. It is the magnifying glass which is near your profile picture! The best way to search is usually to type part of the sentence you are confused about, and select “in this topic”. This will show you all posts within the current thread which has that string of text.

• Be sure to join the conversation! It’s fun, and it’s what keeps these book clubs lively! There’s no such thing as a stupid question! We are all learning here, and if the question has crossed your mind, there’s a very good chance it has crossed somebody else’s also! Asking and answering questions is a great learning opportunity for everyone involved, so never hesitate to do so!

Membership

Will you be reading with us?
  • Yes
  • Yes, but I might start late
  • Maybe
  • No

0 voters

Which version will you be reading?
  • eBook
  • Paperback

0 voters

4 Likes

Just bought the ebook today, I’m excited to start this weekend!

6 Likes

Discussion of week 1 readings starts here! Yay!

5 Likes

How’s everyone’s reading going? I finished chapter 11 yesterday and I’m hoping to get started on 12 today. What I found in interesting in chapter 11 was the exploration of the hobby themes and the dolls for drawing, and also that Chiyo does watercolour painting - I feel like there is still much about their characters that we actually don’t know yet, so I hope it will be further explored. Though I must say, sometimes I am just unimpressed by a few punchlines - I feel like they recycle the formula of Chiyo being surprised and expecting something from Nozaki a bit too much

Question - eBook page 14

I was wondering if someone could help me with this one, regarding the 平常心 that Chiyo tells herself in the second part of her bubble? What does that mean exactly? Jisho only gives me “one’s presence of mind” as a translation, I imagine Chiyo is somehow trying to calm herself, but what does the expression really mean/why this choice of words?

5 Likes
平常心

平常心を保つ means “to stay calm”. I think she is just omitting the verb.

6 Likes

Oh, I see! Thank you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s going alright for me! It definitely helps that I read this ages ago in English, so my brain is subconsciously filling in parts when I’m confused, and that I generally know what the characters are about. I feel that with some jokes, the punchlines aren’t connecting with me fast enough to make me laugh, but I was pleasantly surprised how much I did laugh out loud, which I almost never do when reading! I’m super here for Mikorin’s antics!

7 Likes

The thing one has to understand about this series is that literally every single one of these characters is moron4moron. Understandably, that dynamic/setup isn’t for everyone, but it’s probably what I personally love most about about this series lol: that there is not one single brain cell between any of them (except Ken-san. I was talking about the kids, but I don’t remember any of the adults not being dumbasses either, aside from him…)

How did I only just make the connection that 前野さん is Nozaki’s 前の担当. He’s even introduced last volume as “前担当・前野氏,” yet it didn’t click until today.

It was this panel:

(僕も本当にバカ…)

5 Likes

Somehow this volume feels so much harder than the first one! Maybe because I was expecting it to get easier …

I only have a few more pages to go for this week’s reading, but figured I might as well go ahead and post the questions I have so far.

p7

The kanji in the last panel.

筋肉が増い

I get the idea, but can’t figure out “増い”. Haven’t been able to find it in any of the dictionaries I checked.

p13

Last panel:

まで想像した

Again, I think I get the idea, but in this case it feels like a weird sentence fragment … I guess he’s basically saying “Paint as a hobby, huh … I imagined releasing a book of paintings …” right?

This is exactly how I am about hobbies, by the way. :joy: I feel you, Nozaki.

p21

Again, the last panel. I don’t understand what Maeno is telling her to do? It seems like he’s saying that “Suzukaze” clearly isn’t living up to his name, but in the illustration it seems like Suzukaze is being kind … And then Maeno says to make him more of a “yokel”/“dud” (according to jisho)? I don’t get it.

p22

What does “通りがよかった” mean?

Whoa!! I definitely didn’t make that connection either. Nice noticing!

3 Likes
pg 7

I believe it’s actually (にく)

pg 13

Would it help if it were framed as “「画集発売決定!!!」まで想像した”?

He’s imagined as far as a book of his paintings being announced for sale.

pg 21

Maeno’s saying that his appearance doesn’t fit his name and to give him more of a hick sounding name. The name Suzukaze does befit a kind character, but Maeno thinks only prettyboys should be named that.

イモくさい comes from イモい “rustic; unsophisticated; provincial; hick; uncool; unstylish” + くさい

pg 22

He’s saying that he should have drawn that mini character he’s imagining in the corner. At least, that’s how I understand it, since it’s got that conditional と after 描いておく (so the よかった is “[doing verb] would have been good” or more naturally “should have [done verb]”) though admittedly I don’t exactly know what that 通り is doing there lol

I’m totally wrong lol I’m an idiot who can’t learn grammar, see heikimi’s answer below vv

5 Likes
p.22

“Later, when I drew mini-characters on the edges (in advance), it passed well/quickly.”
Crying Bunny: “Please…Don’t reject.”

I agree with your other answers.

3 Likes
pg 22

Ohh okay, I thought he was wondering if he should have done that and saved himself some trouble. I parsed that final な as like the “wondering to oneself” な. Do you know what it’s doing there, then?

2 Likes

I think it is actually “expressing something after consideration” な. A male speech ね. Well, I don’t care much about the sentence-ending particles if they are not changing the meaning of the sentence drastically.

Let’s look at our sentence: あとはミニキャラを端っこに描いておくと通りが良かったな

The first thing one notices is that the sentence is in the past tense: …が良かった
通りが良かった is the main clause.
…と part is the subordinate clause.
と means if, when, whenever, and then, etc. You can use it to express known to be true results, natural consequences, or actual conditions. You can’t use it to express hypothetical situations. If you want to say “should/would have been good”, you use “ば良かった”.

4 Likes

Okay so you can have といい and ならいい, but those can’t be past tense, only ばいい and たらいい can. I still don’t have the conditionals and the differences between them down; that’s something I need to focus on at some point. Thanks!

1 Like

I finished chapter 11 the other day but still need to finish all of 12, glad we’re back to reading!!

Haha I agree, I love that dynamic!! I can see how it might not be for others, but I think it’s hilarious and it endears you towards these loveable idiots

2 Likes

No, I will try again. It is not about who is right or wrong. We are both learning and I am not good at explaining stuff in English. :bear: with me.

“通りが良かった” is a full sentence with a subject and an adj/verb. It is S+V. When you translated the sentence, you did discard the subject to tailor a grammar point, といい in our case.
We spot the pattern, if there is one;
We don’t create them, if there is none.

Knowing how/when to use と helps. But let’s say we know nothing about と except it means “and”. We can still understand the whole sentence. “I did x and (then) y happened.”

2 Likes

Can you explain why 描いておくis in non-past tense? Your explanation makes sense to me other than that.

1 Like

From DBJG: “In S1 to S2, S1 must be nonpast even if it expresses a past event or action. Tense is expressed in S2.”

Oh, sorry, I wasn’t trying to say you were wrong or anything. Conditionals are just something I haven’t gotten to stick in my brain yet. If I’d had them down better, my brain probably wouldn’t have gone, “Hey, there’s a conditional (と) and よかった, it must be this! Dunno what that 通り is doing in there though” but instead maybe “Okay you can’t have よかった with と so obviously this has gotta be something else but I have no idea what” or “you can’t have anything between a conditional and いい so this can’t be that” if not figured out what it actually is. (Sorry, I’m not very good at explaining myself either)

1 Like

From here on chapter 13 and 14 are also up for discussion!

5 Likes