Previous Chapter: Chapter 2
Next Chapters: Chapters 4 and 5

Vocabulary List

Floflo

Pre-learn the vocabulary in the book here:

https://floflo.moe/toki-wo-kakeru-shoujo-tsubasa-bunko-ed/

Vocab Sheet

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this chapter yet
  • I’m no longer reading the book
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

6 Likes

Just read it. I’m anticipating a LOT of questions about this one. There’s a lot more to it (linguistically) than the last two.

4 Likes

Just finished Chapter 2 this morning so I’m up to date for week 3!

5 Likes

Uh oh D:

1 Like

This chapter has more of these 2-character-long dashes. How should one read them and what do they mean?

2 Likes

I’m interpreting them as marking the beginning of a character’s thoughts (I assume they’re just silent punctuation)

Spanish novels do a similar thing for quoting speech.

I’m reading the third chapter now, and the first instance seems to indicate the start of an onomatopoeia instead of a thought. Still seems like it’s functioning as an open quote though.

3 Likes

Wow, people are super polite in this book. (That explains the 芳山くん from the previous chapters too, I guess).
し ??? Are you serious??? (end of p. 20 for the Kadokawa edition)
… Well, okay, I guess.

1 Like

It’s 1965. They’re hardly gonna be using modern internet slang. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Well, sure, but there are limits.

Your kid is running toward a fire for the lulz. “Would you cease!” isn’t the first exclamation that comes to mind. :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

That still seems like a more “60s” thing than a “this book” thing, though.

2 Likes

Well, I don’t know how people talked in Japan in the 60s, but in France, at least, “politeness” (or its lack thereof) has been pretty much constant. The words have changed, sure, but the intent did not.
But again, that may not translate to other countries.

Well. In the US, things have changed dramatically in the last hundred years. One example is that we used to do more like Japan, where everyone was their surname. Even your students at school, you’d call “Mr. ~~”

Also, if it gives any indication, in my Japanese textbook written in the 50s or 60s, it gives わたくし as the most appropriate pronoun to use in almost any situation.

7 Likes

Though I think the point stands that, in such a situation, that doesn’t actually make much sense :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I thought current textbooks were recommending わたし, which isn’t any more representative of the Japanese used by most people :thinking:

But in any case, I’m just going to go along with it (the book’s style) from now on.

1 Like

This chapter was quite a bit harder than the last two for me. Have I understood these sentences correctly? Unfortunately no page numbers as I’m reading on kindle.

…、自分に自信がもてないのだ。なにか自分がいまに、とんでもないことをしでかしそうなのである。

She has no confidence because it feels like she has made a ridiculous mess of things?

二ブロックほどなれたところにある、ふる店の煙突が、煙につつまれているのが見えた

She could see a ふろ店’s chimney engulfed in smoke about two blocks away in a place that she’s familiar with? (can’t seem to find a translation for ふろ店)

警官が声をからしてどなりながら…

While the policeman’s voice was becoming hoarse from yelling…

2 Likes

風呂 is a public bathhouse.

Translations seem fine to me, except the last one. The idea is fine, but the ながら means “while”, as in the policeman, while shouting in a hoarse voice, …

1 Like

My book says ふろ屋 here, not ふろ店.
ふろ屋 is a public bath (WK level 54 word)

2 Likes

You’re right, that’s my own typo!

I didn’t even check the 店 :stuck_out_tongue:
(I did think that I would have said 風呂屋 instead, but hey, what do I know).
Serves me right…

2 Likes

It is p.20 Kadokawa version
You have missed a character here - it is 二ブロックほどはなれたところにある - in a place about two blocks away (from where she is now)

6 Likes