Chapters 2 & 3

Pages 18 - 34

Start Date: 1st May
Last Week: Chapter 1
Next Week: Chapters 4 and 5

Nichijou 1

日常 Home Thread

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur out major events in the current week’s pages, and any content from later in the book/series, like this: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]

• When asking for help, please mention the page number (or % for eBooks).

• To you lurkers out there: join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

3 Likes

Please read!

Because we had a pretty good level of participation in the first week (hooray! thank you to everybody who got involved, and if you haven’t commented yet please say hi :blush: we’re here to help if you’re finding it tricky) - could I please ask people to keep to chapter 2 just for the first couple of days?

If we could stick to questions about chapter 2 pages until we hit Monday that would be great, and please be vigilant about blurring anything out that might spoil things for others!

Probably worth highlighting the chapter as well as the page number when asking questions too - thanks!

6 Likes

I found these two chapters a lot funnier than the last one!

Side note about スラマッパギー , not sure if everyone but me knew this, but apparently they are saying Selamat Pagi, which is indonesian for Good morning.
(In case you are like me and thought it was a made up word :sweat_smile:)

About chapter 3, p. 32 (not a question, but maybe it helps for understanding):

I know nothing about baseball, but I thought using the Kanji for the baseball-stuff, while the furigana showed the thing that is being thrown was hilarious!
… It also means I had to look up those baseball terms.
In case you are interested (I didn’t know how/ if we put these on the vocab sheet):

• ちょっきゅう - straight ball (pitch)

• きゅう - miracle ball
    I have no Idea what that is supposed to mean

5 Likes

Absolutely, I thought so, too.

Especially chapter two with her taking all that stuff and being so kind to bring it all to “repay” her friend, unpacking it just now.^^

For me they were kind of easier to understand too. I had a little trouble reading the first chapter the first time. I had to repeat it several times to get it all.
This time I could read the whole chapters without checking many words to understand what was going on. Of course there are still words and phrases I need to check for the second reading. For example on page 24: なんでそんなに無視むしすんの… I get what she’s saying, but this part すんの, I’ve never seen this before. It’s short for するんの I guess.

3 Likes

On the second panel of page 30:

Anyone know exactly what ご名算 is? My J-J translates to something like

A word for saying someones calculation is correct, especially saying with an abacus

Also there’s the kotobank definition

I think it’s saying that if you check someones maths using an abaqus and get the same result, you say ご名算 but I’m far from sure :sweat:

also I feel like there’s a pun here, but I dun gedit

ya, you got it :+1:

7 Likes

I’m struggling more than expected with this manga :sweat_smile: I have some questions about chapter 2:

page 19

I feel like I’m missing something here. I understand the individual phrases but not how they fit together.

• スケール is referring to how long Mai can keep up her あいさつ保留, right?
  • 実のところ山なんじゃないですか~? What does she expect Mai to respond to this with?
page 26

後半初耳 - which latter half is she referring to? The part about the 弥勒菩薩?

3 Likes

Man, I just kind of read over that.
Given the links you gave and some other definitions I looked up, I’d say you are right.

But then… what is ゆっこ saying here? That she wants to check なのs answer? Since she is using paper instead?
There is the 色んな意味で as well, so you can probably interpret it some other way too :thinking:

I find it hard to differentiate between “This is supposed to sound odd, due to the joke” and “This sounds odd to me, due to my lack of knowledge in japanese” :sweat_smile:
But we can work on it together! I hope my interpretations help.

page 19

I thought the same, but rather “how much/ to what degree” she is being ignored, as opposed to “how long”
I might be wrong though :woman_shrugging:

I interpreted that whole segment as ゆっこ acting like some commentator/ reporter or something similar as a joke.
“The scale (that you are ignoring me with) is huge! As big as a mountain!! Perhaps… Aren’t you actually being on a mountain?!”
So she probably wanted Mai to laugh? I don’t think she wanted an actual answer at least.

page 26

I don’t think there is a clear answer to this. I thought Mai heard a bit more :woman_shrugging:
For the joke, the important part is that Mai started to hear Yukko, but decided to ignore her anyway.

8 Likes

Yeah I would say the meaning you described is correct after searching a bit. I also found this (meaning - Help understanding 意味で in these sentences? - Japanese Language Stack Exchange) explanation of the pun.

8 Likes

ooh nice find

For page 26–

I think it was mostly the section about the 弥勒菩薩, yes. Basically as I read it, I think the point was that Mai was already aware that Yuuko had stolen almost all of her food yesterday. But her Maitreiya figure getting broken and incinerated (the “inside story” Yuuko had actually gone to lengths to hide, and that she was more reluctant to confess) was 初耳 – something she was hearing for the first time.

6 Likes

Yuuko is being ignored by Mai again!
Katakana is surely making this a bit challenging.

For chapter 2:

p19

必殺 「あいさつ保留」ですかー?

Did anyone get the joke here? I just can’t put together the words to make something meaningful.

p22

ヘマッた ことが多すぎて

I’m having trouble with ヘマッた here. Couldn’t find a clear result from Jisho.
The only thing I can think of is, ヘ is the particle or a sound, and マッた is the 待つ verb, but I’m not sure. Katakana is so random. :smiley:

Edit: Another one in p22,

でもだいたい 見当ついてる

I know about the grammar point ~ついている, but I couldn’t understand its exact meaning in this context.

2 Likes
p19

Like @Jiell_1, I also thought Yuuko was pretending to be a commentator here. My impression was she was treating Mai ignoring her as if it was some kind of killer signature move in a fight or a game. Like, 'Is this the deadly “Greeting Deferment”??? As expected, its scale is massive!" But I could be misinterpreting what she was going for.

p22

I was also unsure about ヘマッた. Given the context – with everything surrounding that panel, it seems like she’s basically going ‘oh no, I’ve done so many things, I dunno which one she’s mad about’ --my best guess was that it was a shortening of へまをした。Jisho lists へま as ‘blunder, bungle, gaffe’ … but Jisho says the phrase for committing a blunder is へまをやる not へまをする.

That said, I think from further googling that へまをする or へまする get used to mean ‘mess up,’ whether or not they’re ‘correct’ – and Yuuko seems to have her own approach to language anyway, regardless of ‘correctness’, lol, so that might fit?

I’m pretty shaky on that one though–it was on my own list of things to ask about. So, take with a serving of salt. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Thank you very much! Because of ッた, I thought ヘマ should be an う verb or something. Now it makes more sense. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sure thing! I hope that’s right, anyway. :sweat_smile: I am not sure if that’s a “legit” / grammatically standard shortening, but it was the only explanation I could come up with that seemed at least sort of plausible and led to a meaning that made sense in context.

Now that I think about it some more, I guess she might also have stuck the った on the end to make it sound like a parallel to しまった? Maybe?

1 Like

I found that scene in the anime. Your translation was very close. :slight_smile:

p19, anime episode 3

ヘマッた ことが多すぎて なんのことで怒ってんだかわかんない。

Now I want to watch the anime version again.

5 Likes

Good to know! Thanks for going to look for it. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: I haven’t seen the anime version but so far it seems like I would probably enjoy it.

1 Like

Slightly puzzled what is happening/happened in the last panels of

Page 33/34

so `あれっ、銀歯とれたかな?`
Jisho says that it is a silver tooth, so did the ‘silver tooth came off’?
But the screw is only shown on the 34 page, so how did they know?
And way are she angry, and why are they making those faces?
Could it be that a panel where the robot is drinking the sounds 'ズズーーーッ、 カツ’ tells us that there is a metallic sound, like a sound made by banging two pieces of metal? And where did the screw come from?

Not gonna lie ‘parsing’ text was easy but could not understand most of it.

2 Likes

Try out an web image search for 銀歯.

The reason for the angry-looking face is she was being serious at making certain no one saw the screw, or else they might find out she’s a robot. As for the other two girls, they’re crying because all their attempts to get Nano to reveal she’s a robot failed. (They didn’t see the screw.) I reckon the カツ sound is the screw, normally secured inside of Nano, falling out of place (metal falling onto metal).

4 Likes

I noticed that a lot of the people posting in this book club seem very knowledgeable and experienced in Nihonfuu (aka knowing where to find answers) or just being awesome and knowledgeable in general. I hope its ok for me to post a poll here, anyway here it is.

For fun, lets see how many Japanese book clubs everyone has under there belt:

• This is my first Japanese book club
  • This is my second or third Japanese book club
  • This is at least my fourth Japanese book club

0 voters

3 Likes