日常 | Week 10 Discussion 🦌

Regarding your question:

Page 167

Not sure if that helps, but I typed this into Deepl and it gave me “damn you (It)” for 畜生 and “F*ck you (it)” for バッちいくしょう. So it is most likely as you guessed :wink:

I also have some questions:

Page 175

はかせ、私 (に) 今日冒頭から不自然なコケ方してるんですけど…
なにかしてませんか?わたしに。

When I put this into deepl, I get something along the lines of:
“Hakase, you have been mocking me in an unnatural way the entire day already.
Did you do something to me?”

I am not entirely sure on this sentence. On re-reading the section again, it feels more right to me to say:
"Hakase, I have been acting unnaturally the entire day already. (as in “strange things have been happening to me”).
“You didn’t do something to me, did you?”

I would love to hear your input on this, as I don’t feel very confident here.^^

Congrats to both of you! I am joinging you, this was my first book club as well :smiley:
I actually already have Volume 2, so I am looking forward to see, whether we will be able to continue this.

3 Likes

Thanks for the insight!

Page 175

The コケ is from 転ける. 転ける means to fall, so コケ方 means way of falling. She is saying that she has been falling down in weird ways.

5 Likes

I believe rather than 私 it would be 私. I looked up what コケ方 means, and Hinative makes me think that it comes from 転ける. So the Verb in the sentence is not “to mock” but “to fall over”.

Nano says “Since the beginning of today I have been falling over in unnatural ways”

(I translated it as “to fall over”, but since it’s コケ方する I guess it is more like “doing things in a falling over manner”? But I think the meaning is the same :sweat_smile:)

Edit: @aamunoz was faster, but at least we said the same thing :grin:

4 Likes

I think “不自然なコケ方してる” is more like “doing a weird falling style” or “doing a weird way of falling”.

3 Likes

Thanks to both of you!
That makes sense.
For コケ I only found “moss” or when I looked a bit more thoroughly on jisho 虚仮にする (こけにする), which means “to make a fool of someone”. So that’s what I thought it was.

転ける does not pop up on my japanese keyboard, and the “こ” reading is not listed on the Kanji Breakdown on Jisho either, so I didn’t find it.

2 Likes

Yeah, I feel like when I see __かた, the part in the blank is usually (always? Not sure enough to go that far) the stem of a verb. I search Jisho by just putting u-ending kana at the end of it. The regulars like る, す, etc. In this case, こける sounded good so I tried that, and found a verb that means “to fall” which matched the context.

2 Likes

This was the first book club that I followed simultaneously too. みんなお疲れ様! :slight_smile:

I found answers to some of my questions already from your replies. I was so confused with コケ. Now it makes sense.

神様のおたんこフール

For the bolded part I found this on Jisho as the closest, but it is still not very clear.

おたんこなす
fool; twit; idiot; bird-brain​

Also, I wonder if the dog is a reference to something.

支障きたしまくり

支障をきたす + まくる

https://jlptsensei.com/learn-japanese-grammar/まくる-まくって-makuru-makutte-meaning/

I actually found the answer to this as I’m searching and writing the reply. :smiley: Still wanted to leave this link here in case if it helps someone.

6 Likes

Yukko plays with words a lot, so I just took it to be her taking that word おたんこなす and replacing the end with the English word “fool”. No idea what the dog is about.

5 Likes

We have officially finished reading volume 1 of 日常!

Everybody is of course still completely welcome to post new questions or thoughts in any of the discussion threads though :slight_smile:

You might have posted your thoughts as you finished anyway, but around these parts we never miss an opportunity for a poll.

If you finished the book, how would you rate it?

0 voters

Which was your favourite chapter?

• Chapter 1
  • Chapter 2
  • Chapter 3
  • Chapter 4
  • Chapter 5
  • Chapter 6
  • Chapter 7
  • Chapter 8
  • Chapter 9
  • Chapter 10
  • Chapter 11
  • Chapter 12
  • Chapter 13
  • Chapter 14
  • Chapter 15
  • Chapter 16
  • Chapter 17
  • Chapter 18

0 voters

(Normally I’d include the chapter titles to help you out…)

Post to say why!

But try not to spoil these last two chapters in the process.

2 Likes

The dear scene is an absolute classic. The poetic aspect to it and Yuuko’s complete inability to express what she is seeing kill me every time. Honorable mention to just about any scene with はかせ and なの.

I have to say I don’t think that this manga was great from a language learning perspective. The lack of context for any of the humor makes it difficult to decipher and makes you question your interpretations even if you think you understand every word and grammar point. Additionally the dialogue is often choppy, dramatic, or unnatural so it’s difficult to pick up any sort of conversational flow. I’d recommend Nichijou to anyone looking for a good comedy manga, but probably not to anybody whose main purpose in reading is language study. I certainly would never recommend it as a starting point for reading native material. I’d be happy to hear alternate opinions though!

I also think the low quality of the ebook version hurt my enjoyment a bit. I love the art style so it was painful to have to look at all these great drawings as if they were jpegs that have been re-saved and re-uploaded 100 times. I would definitely recommend the physical edition instead.

If we did an offshoot club I might have to pass not because of any lack of enjoyment of the material, but because I’m already a bit overloaded with reading and I a.) currently am not buying physical copies of manga (it gets expensive and takes up so much space!) and b.) currently prefer reading things that I’m not familiar with, and virtually every manga chapter through volume 6 has been covered by the anime. I might try to catch up sometime down the road or jump in for later volumes though!

Also I would really love to read City! I may nominate it sometime down the line for the BBC if somebody doesn’t beat me to it.

Finally, congratulations to anyone who read this as their first manga! It’s a huge achievement, and getting through that first volume opens the doors to so much more. It says a lot about your perseverance that you were able to get through it (and hopefully enjoy it!) despite its difficulty.

9 Likes

Made-up chapter titles for reference:

1. Things falling on Yuuko’s head
  2. Why is Mai ignoring Yuuko?
  3. Yuuko and Mio try to prove Nano’s a robot
  4. Nano’s various gadgets
  5. Sasahara and Tachibana plan the school festival
  6. School assembly
  7. Oh Dear!
  8. Yuuko and Mai play rock paper scissors
  9. House of cards
  10. Yuuko fakes sickness
  11. Weird test questions
  12. 3 second rule
  13. Nano’s gadgets part 2
  14. Sasahara eating steak in the hallway
  15. Mio tries to get her notebook back
  16. Daifuku festival
  17. Yuuko (almost) remembers her homework
  18. Hakase’s dad jokes
6 Likes

As I was doing a pretty big makeup review session I kept getting notifications of activity here. I saw that Radish8 had stopped in with some polls! Excellent, cant wait to wrap this session now. Then this happened.

nichijyouBurnCropped

How appropriate

3 Likes

I whole-heartedly agree with this… this is definitely not beginner-level reading. Things are so over the top it’s hard to tell if one understood the meaning of the dialogue right or not; some jokes rely on references to proverbs or poems that a learner would be very unlikely to be familiar with, and even sometimes they are tweaked which makes it incredibly hard to google.

Not the book’s fault, but I’m also really disappointed about how low quality the digital version of this manga is. It feels really unfair that I got charged basically the same price as a new copy of the physical version for it.

6 Likes

It’s a relief knowing that the struggle was real and shared among us. In order to prevent myself from reading ahead in 日常 I was also reading Tokyo Ghoul 1. I kept thinking, “this is much easier than 日常, right?”. Having never read a manga I really had no idea what was what.

It sounds like I made a lucky choice going with physical copies. I’ve collected the first seven volumes that way so far and I’m hoping other people will want to discuss them in a book club style format.

3 Likes

This was my main issue with this manga. It was cute, and funny and I enjoyed it - but I was constantly second-guessing myself because the humour is so surreal.

And this was my second issue. There were a lot of things that I would have had no chance of understanding without the brilliant people in the bookclub threads! So huge thanks to everybody who contributed to the threads, and to the vocab list. :slight_smile:

Despite struggling though, I had fun and I do want to continue reading the series. I have bought the second volume - but I’m going to be waiting for a while, until I have more confidence in my ability, before trying to read it.

4 Likes

I have to admit that I had seen the entire Anime series before reading the book. So while I didn’t know/understood every word or phrase that was in the Manga, I did have a general idea on how each scene would turn out, which did help a lot in understanding.

That being said I have to agree with you guys. It is quite difficult to read and understand, especially when there are a lot of colloquial, half cut of phrases sometimes. I am on rading “Yotsubato!” on and off on the side, and although it sometimes has similar issues (due to Yutsuba being a young child and therefore speaking like one) I found it much easier to understand.

But I might have not joined this club if I didn’t see the Anime before, so I am happy it turned out the way it did :wink: It was very enjoyable and the fact that we “met” every week to discuss questions and that there was an online vocab sheet to look up things really gave a much needed push to regularly read and examine the chapters. It was my first club and I had a lot of fun!

Thank you for the organization and management @Radish8 ! And thanks to all of you for being part of the journey and for your help with answering questions and just being there for fun and interesting conversations! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I chose to nominate City in the Intermediate Bookclub. It will be a while before the next vote but I’ll give everyone a heads up when it comes around!

3 Likes

I just got the 13 volumes of City in the mail yesterday. Only thing I noticed is that there is hardly any furigana in it. I guess you have to take off the training wheels eventually though :thinking:

2 Likes

It’s probably thanks to WK but I’ve found that furigana doesn’t have a huge impact on how easy something is to read, as long as you have a good method for looking up kanji when you don’t know the reading.

2 Likes

I agree, and knowing stroke order helps a lot for looking up radicals in the dictionary. I think too, if it takes longer to have to look up each kanji by radical that it reinforces it more. I was reading a few pages from a manga (Tales of Graces f Anthology) that I own on my tablet the other day and was able to recognize a good bit of it and after finishing up the first 日常 manga. Thanks to everyone here on these forums no doubt, reading is less of a headache and the sense of familiarity when you see a kanji that you’ve seen before is motivating too.