|Next week|Click!|
|Home thread|Click!||

How is the reading going?
  • I am reading along
  • I am catching up
  • I am dropping this book

0 voters

Vocabulary

Please read the guidelines on the first page before adding any words.

Discussion questions

1. What sentence/passage gave you the most difficulty? Feel free to request some help, or if you figured it out on your own break it down for the rest of us!
  2. What was your favorite new vocab word from this week’s reading?
  3. Was there any passage that you found particularly intriguing? Did it resonate with you (either positively or negatively)? Was it surprising? Offer any insight or new perspective? Was it just beautifully written?

This story seems to click much more with me than 授乳 already, that’s definitely a relief :partying_face: Language-wise it felt much easier to understand, and the setup was intriguing enough that I couldn’t stop reading, especially since I really wanted to know the rough age of the main character before putting the book down :sweat_smile: And now it seems like some of that good old Murata strangeness is coming up already, I’m really curious to see where this is going.

4 Likes

Agreed. I still felt like I was looking up words more often than what I was used to, but overall it was a much smoother start than 授乳. I’m loving the Murata strangeness. Unlike the last story it’s stimulating that sense of anticipation that makes me want to turn the page to figure out what the heck is going on with these characters.

I think she’s in college since she talks about how she sleeps through the college courses that her parents are paying such high tuition for. Although there’s a chance that I confused that part a bit and she was actually describing past events. So I guess she’s at least college-aged?

Is it just me or does Murata use a ton of uncommon kanji? I thought after completing WK I could set kanji study aside for awhile but I feel like I’m averaging practically two unfamiliar kanji per page in this book and it’s driving me crazy.

4 Likes

そのホシオからは日様する。

What does the sun smell like, I wonder? :thinking:

I am happy that this protagonist is a bit more wholesome, wanting to protect her parents from the distress they’d feel if they knew what their daughter got up to with her stuffed toy. I look forward to seeing where this story goes!

5 Likes

I just realized I heard that expression before and never really thought about it… For me it would be the smell that warmed up surface/material is emitting, I guess? :thinking:

2 Likes

I’m immensely late to the party, but since this is one of the unfinished books I’m trying to knock off my list for the read every day challenge, I figured I’d leave comments here and there as I go along.

I, too, was wondering how old she was! At first I thought maybe high school, but then she mentioned having sex and I thought that she might be older. I’m glad Murata eventually let us know she’s in college.

2 Likes