|Next week|Click!|
|Home thread|Click!||

How is the reading going?
  • I am reading along
  • I am catching up
  • I am dropping this book

0 voters

Vocabulary

Please read the guidelines on the first page before adding any words.

Discussion questions

1. What sentence/passage gave you the most difficulty? Feel free to request some help, or if you figured it out on your own break it down for the rest of us!
  2. What was your favorite new vocab word from this week’s reading?
  3. Was there any passage that you found particularly intriguing? Did it resonate with you (either positively or negatively)? Was it surprising? Offer any insight or new perspective? Was it just beautifully written?

Ooh I’ve been looking forward to this one since I first saw the title. :coffee: :heart: :grin:

And the beginning didn’t disappoint! I loved the description of the room, and the whole first scene with her waking up in a white, white room really.

Since we later learned that MC does not like dirt, uncleanliness, and… ah, nature, her affinity with this pristine room isn’t so surprising.

Speaking of our MC, it’s another one with a rulebook in their head, as well. Familiar territory. :smiley:

Another thing I thought was interesting was her ‘switch’, and the tv in her mind. I was a bit surprised slash disappointed she uses it for such mundane purposes though, haha.

Loving the beginning of this one! I think it’s my favorite intro out of the three short stories in this book.

This is honestly pretty cool, I don’t think I see this a lot in other book clubs. <3

5 Likes

:flushed: Sorry I might have cheated a bit–I waited an extra day so I could finish up the previous story and vote “reading along”.

4 Likes

I might have done the same stuff when I wasn’t caught up ^^" But I didn’t really read the forums at that time so I never even saw the polls.

1 Like
That stood out to me as well, especially in these bits:

頭の中でマニュアルをめくるように、定番の親切な言葉を探す。

住み慣れた現実界ではルールに従って機械的に行動していれば何も問題なくことが運んでいき、ベルトコンベアーに乗せられたように日常が過去に移動していく。

どちらの意見もあたしの実際とは微妙に違っていたが、あたしが二人にかわいがられていることはよくわかっていたので、特に指摘せずに微笑でやり過ごした。みな、幸福そうだった。こうやって細かいことを誤魔化しあうことが、幸福を維持する秘訣なのだろうと、そのときあたしは思った。

誰にも命令されてないが、それは守らなければならないルールなのだった。

3 Likes

I was a bit busy because I moved and then had to prepare for my 30th birthday so I skipped the last short story but now that I’m back into a rythm I thought I’ll return and read along!

I definitely also felt that this MC brought a lot of things that are familiar by now and it made reading it a bit easier. I have to be honest that I’ve been struggling with comprehension but as long as I read the comments afterward I can figure out what I might have misinterpreted or couldn’t understand at all.

It’ll only get better if I keep at it!

5 Likes

Life happened but I finally managed to read the first part of this story :smiley: And it started off pretty strongly, good thing I can just keep reading now as I have some more catching up to do :grin:

4 Likes