|Next week|Click!|
|Home thread|Click!||

How is the reading going?
  • I am reading along
  • I am catching up
  • I am dropping this book

0 voters

Vocabulary

Please read the guidelines on the first page before adding any words.

Discussion questions

1. What sentence/passage gave you the most difficulty? Feel free to request some help, or if you figured it out on your own break it down for the rest of us!
  2. What was your favorite new vocab word from this week’s reading?
  3. Was there any passage that you found particularly intriguing? Did it resonate with you (either positively or negatively)? Was it surprising? Offer any insight or new perspective? Was it just beautifully written?
2 Likes

So, I’m assuming the mother has some sort of obsessive–compulsive personality disorder, but I have no idea what to make of the teacher. I don’t even know how normal his behavior is supposed to be; maybe in Japan silent tutors are the norm :woman_shrugging:t2:

Also, where is 授乳. I even double-checked if I’m reading the right book :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Well… this was interesting. A lot more text and descriptions than in the other book so far, but nevertheless curious to read more. :v:

5 Likes

Not too much to say about this first week. I’m curious to see where it goes.

5 Likes

Running a couple of days late, but finished. I really enjoyed the lush details, from the mother’s precise cooking to the tutors silent feet. This feels to me a bit more in line with コンビニ人間 writing style. I suspect this relationship with the tutor might get NSFW, but we shall see…

As a totally unrelated comment, I keep on misreading 鞄 as 靴 - it took me an embarassly long time to figure out that he wasn’t keeping his teaching implements in his shoes :woman_facepalming:

8 Likes

Yeah, I was thinking the same. „The teacher went into the mother’s room, and the mother closed the door.“ :eyes:
There we go again, I thought… But later the feeling disappeared when the focus switched to the tutoring session.
Curious to see how this story evolves!

5 Likes

This being Murata… Be careful what you wish for :wink:

I wasn’t sure what to make of the repetition (かないように) in this bit. Any ideas?

先生はこちらをかないように、かないようにしながら、上手支度えることに成功、そろりとがった

5 Likes

Just saw a similar repetition in a manga I’m reading and now I’m convinced it’s just for emphasis.

5 Likes

Week 1 catch-up completed! For whatever reason, this was incredibly hard for me to get through. I don’t know what made it so difficult; maybe I was just spoiled by how relatively easy the ending sections of 殺人出産 were?

I’m keeping an eye out for the mother in this one. Also, was it just me or did anyone else get self-conscious about the space between their toes when they read this bit?

親指がずんぐりふくれて、指と指の間に隙間が奇妙に開いている。私の足は指同士がきちんとくっついているので、先生の指の間に刻まれた丸い隙間が、足に開いた穴ぼこのように見えた。

Here’s hoping I have an easier time with the next section. :crossed_fingers:

6 Likes

I’ll warn you, this is definitely the hardest Murata story to get through to date, so brace yourself! That being said after reflecting a bit I think it was totally worth the read. So far the next story feels a bit more comfortably “Murata”.

4 Likes

Well crud…

5 Likes

It wasn’t just you :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes