Join the Beginner Book Club here!

少女終末旅行 home thread

Volume 5

Previous Volume: Volume 4
Next Volume: Volume 6

Vocabulary List

Spreadsheet

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current volume and any content in future volumes.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn!
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun!
1 Like

I feel betrayed because this started as such a fun series to read and now I’m broken.
Time to read volume 6.

I, uh… you…

um…

Enjoy?

2 Likes

Hmmm can someone please give me a paw with this panel on page 109?

I’m not sure what そんなドカンドカンなってるのは might mean. Jisho says ドカン means “with a bang”, but “becoming bang bang” doesn’t make any sense… I am guessing it is related to whatever is happening in Yuu’s helmet (debris is falling on it? I’m not really sure…) since it is using the same onomatopoeic sound…

Any help is appreciated!

Thinking Chii’s なる is not 成る but rather 鳴る.

Chii’s responding to Yuu here. Yuu’s line is “Perhaps there’s someone making things go ‘dokan dokan’ inside people’s heads, and that’s why we forget things.” The explosions on her head are the little dokan fairy inside. To which Chii replies “You’re the only one who’s going ‘dokan dokan’ like that, Yuu.”

1 Like

Oh… no wonder it looked like a nest of :baby_chick: had taken hold of Yuu’s helmet… Now it makes sense. Thank you!

1 Like

I am having trouble figuring out the following dialogue:

Page 130

それはすべての思耆

I’m not sure what’s going on here. すべての思耆 means “All the thinking”? “All the consideration” ?

不可解の向こうへ

This seems to mean “(towards) the side of the inexplicable / mysterious”… but I am not really sure what the particle と is expressing here.

落ちてゆく

落ちる usually means to fall, but somehow I am not sure that’s the meaning here - probably because the sentence is about something abstract like “thoughts”? My best attempt at translating ends up with something like “to fade all thoughts into the side of the inexplicable” but that barely makes sense… >.<

Any help is appreciated!

I rarely know what’s going on when they start getting really philosophical. Yen Press’ translation has gone with “All thoughts fall beyond the incomprehensible” which is kinda incomprehensible in its own right…

Side note, I never noticed how much the 132-133 spread looks like the artwork they saw on 56-57…

1 Like

Glad to hear I’m not alone in being confused :sweat_smile: I see I wasn’t complete off in my attempt when compared to the official translation, and that’s a bit reassuring :slight_smile:

Thanks for the help!

Now that you mention it, there’s indeed quite a resemblance :open_mouth:

1 Like

Just a side remark: I think you made a typo there; I read this as 思考 (the second kanji is different)
but you translated it correctly so maybe the kanji you typed may give a hint as to what is going on here :joy_cat:

1 Like

Oh darn, thanks for pointing it out. My OCR software played tricks on me; when I looked for the word in the dictionary I actually typed the word out though, so I reached the proper entry for that word, thankfully!

2 Likes