Join the Beginner Book Club here!

少女終末旅行 home thread

Volume 3

Previous Chapter: Chapter 16
Next Volume: Volume 4

Vocabulary List

Spreadsheet

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current volume and any content in future volumes.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn!
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun!
2 Likes

I’m starting this one today. :slight_smile:
Thanks for starting the threads :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I finished reading all the book club stuff for this week so I might as well try to tackle a chapter between today and tomorrow ^.^

1 Like

Probably a silly question that I should know the answer to.
In the first chapter, 道 is used a lot, it’s using it in terms of a pathway/way/route?
I just looked on Jisho and it also means diameter, so are they referring to the diameter of the pipe they’re travelling in (So めちゃめちゃ道だね - pg 17 - would be referring to the pipe?)
I’m not sure.

1 Like

I am not completely sure myself, but I believe it does refer to the pathway rather than the diameter of the pipe.

My interpretation of めちゃめちゃ道 would be something along the lines of “whoa, this is one hell of a path” since it is kind of unexpected that they find it inside the pipe with arrows and stuff.

I feel that if Yuu was trying to say something about how wide it is she’d go with a more simple word like 広い or でかい

4 Likes

Oh yay, the threads are here! \o/ I will try to get back to reading again after I recover, so I will join soonish:3

2 Likes

Hmmm, I’m totally stumped by the following dialogue in Chapter 18, page 35:

なんか触りごこちが変わってきたね

Can’t seem to find what ごこち or 触りごこち might mean… I’m pretty sure I’ve heard something similar before, but can’t remember the meaning.

Any help is appreciated!

EDIT: oh, gosh, it is ここち rendaku’ed. Evil rendaku comes back to bite me once again =._.=

4 Likes

Story-wise, I really enjoyed this volume (and volume 4 now even more)! I felt like volumes 1 and 2 didn’t really introduce many things, but maybe that was my impression at that time:D I really loved the chapter about black boxes being the graves, that was amazing :eyes:

Also does anyone know how far does anime go and how accurate it is? :thinking:

2 Likes

I really like つくみず art style. It might not be the most detailed or the most pretty, but it has its own charm and personality, and many times goes for really interesting angles from where to show what’s happening.

But dem some panels are hard to understand…

Please, can someone lend a paw with a question?

Chapter 20, Page 70

Yuu says “ねー ガラスの入れ物って持ってなかったっけ?”
Not sure about what 持って means here. My best guess it is some sort of (emphasized?) 持て, as in “popular”. Is she asking if glass recipients were not popular (and thus, they were left behind) ?

2 Likes

Here 持ってなかった is short for 持っていなかった (and Xを持っている = to own X)

3 Likes

I see! Now it makes sense. Thank you!

3 Likes

reads one of Yuu’s dialogues, has little idea what it might mean
checks Chi’s reply in the same panel to see if that sheds some light on what Yuu might have said

Chi: 意味がわからん…

shakes head

3 Likes

I am kind of stuck with this word in Page 127, Chapter 23:

基盤殻層

I can’t seem to find this in jisho or goo.ne.jp … based on the kanji I have a vague idea of what it might mean, but not really sure.

Can anybody give me a paw please?

EDIT: checked the anime, and they simply went with “foundation” there.

1 Like

I have a few questions from the first chapter in this volume, chapter 17, if anyone has time either now or in the future…

1. On page 3, first panel, Chi says: あダメやっぱ無理… as she is walking along the pipe.
    What is that やっぱ. I thought やっぱ meant “as expected”, but that wouldn’t work here.

2. Page 7, second panel, Chi says: あそうだこういうときこそアレだよ and I can’t figure it out!
    あ - ah
    そうだ - I’ve got it
    こういう - like this
    とき - time
    こそ - for sure (?)
    アレ - that
    だよ - is, yeah
    “Ah, I’ve got it, this time like this” - ???

3. Page 14, second panel: 大丈夫なんとかなるよ
    I have no idea what なんとかなる might mean!

4. Page 19, second panel, what does 風に mean here?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer! :smiley: :gear: :+1:

Why not? It’s like, she looked at the pipe beforehand, immediately thought “yeah, I can’t do that”, and then stepped out onto it to find that her initial assesment was correct.

It’s like “Ah, of course. Times like this call for that.”

なんとかなる.

Someone with the Japanese version will have to take this, because I can’t work out from the translation how 風に is being used without context.

1 Like

Wow, thank you so much @Belthazar! That is really kind of you and very useful! Thank you!

As for the final one: 普段からこんな風に矢印があらば楽なのになぁ…

普段 - usual, normal
から - from
こんな - such
風に - no idea
矢印が - arrows (as signs) + が
あらば - if exist
楽な - easy
のに - but
なぁ… - sentence ending particle, perhaps?

But it would be easy if arrows existed from usually such + 風に

I know I’m reading way above me level (again!) and I’m sorry for taking up your time, but thank you for any help you can give me on this!

That’s ふう - method, manner, way, style.

Not like I had anything better to do.

1 Like

Thank you so much @Belthazar! You are always so kind! Thank you!

1 Like

Page 26

A quick question if I may?!

Screenshot 2020-04-09 at 18.46.14

こういうのってさなんの機械なんだろ

こういう - such; this sort of; like this
のってさ -
なんの -
機械 - machine
なん -
だろ - seems; I think; I guess; I wonder; I hope

So many problems! That first の looks like a possessive の to me, or is it a nominalsing の? Is the って a quotation particle? What is the さ? Is the なんの a “what’s” and is the second なん a “what” too? As you can see, I’m utterly lost! Any help with this one much appreciated!

1 Like