Chapter 9: 写真 :camera_flash:

Start Date: March 2nd
Volume 2 Start Date: May 11th
Previous Chapter: Chapter 8
Next Chapter: Chapter 9

Vocabulary List

Spreadsheet

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.

• I’m reading along
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

5 Likes

Ohhhhh, I was just thinking of continuing reading this, so thank you for the thread \o/
I have so many things to read, someone halp

5 Likes

halps

fails to halp

3 Likes

yeah…me too…want to read everything!!!

… still to new to be able to do it all…and been sick for a week now…so dragging myself along…trying to rest this weekend…

I really want to get back into this one though…and finish the series, but I’m pretty sure I’ll fall behind. Why does there have to be so many interesting and fun things to read???

3 Likes

I think this is the first time I’ve seen dakuten on あ…

EDIT: I can’t even figure out how to type that in IME >.<

1 Like

Kana-entry method has a key that lets you enter the dakuten as a separate symbol (on my keyboard it’s the [ key, but it could be different on yours). あ゛. Dunno if that’s possible to do with romaji input. I guess you could type だくてん and push space until it comes up.

That said, if this is the first time you’ve ever seen it, you weren’t paying attention way back in chapter one. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

6 Likes

Aw man we’re starting volume 2? I’m excited. I better buy this one then.
Volume one was just too cute.
Reading a manga will be great considering I’m mainly reading novels with the other clubs.

6 Likes

Thanks for that, just found it, page 20! How do you do that @Belthazar? You’re amazing!

Asked the resident expert how she’d say あ゛and she has no idea. Asked her how she’d type it and she says she has no idea! Then asks me, as she always does, what the heck I’m reading! lol!

1 Like

In the anime, it sounds like this:

2 Likes

LOL! Brilliant!

Page 5

明るいうちに 移動しておくに 越したことはない

明るい - bright
うちに - home? / inside? + に
移動 - movement
して - する in て-form
おく - to do something in advance
に - に
越した - to cross over, in past form
こと - thing
は - subject marker
ない - isn’t

I have no idea! The anime translates this as “always better to move when it’s still light out”, but I’m lost trying to break it all down. Any help much appreciated!

1 Like

うちに: while, during

に越したことはない as a whole is an expression meaning “it is best to 〜”

“It’s best to get moving while it’s still bright”

6 Likes

Wow, that is brilliant! Thank you so much Myria! Much appreciated!

Page 9

そうだ 別れる前に 食料を分ける もらったお礼というか…

そうだ - well then
別れる前に - before we part
食料 - food
を - object particle
分ける - to share
もらった - recieved
お礼 - gratitude, thanks
という - called, named (ie, as thanks)
か… - not sure what this is doing here

“Well then, before we part, as thanks for the food which you shared with me…”

Any ideas what that か is doing at the end there? Thanks again for any help anyone can offer!

2 Likes

I don’t have the manga with me to check context or something, but I’ll do my best. :low_brightness:

というか has its own jisho entry: 1. or perhaps I should say; or more precisely; or, how should I put it; or rather

Is the 分ける that or in て form? If it is て form then it does combine with もらった into the English sentence you put. (Is that the one in the English version manga or anime again like before?)

If it is 分ける in it’s dictionary form, grammatically that sentence ends there and a new one starts with もらった.

2 Likes

Thank you so much @Belerith!

というか = 1. or perhaps I should say; or more precisely; or, how should I put it; or rather
Nice one, thank you for showing me that!

Oh no! I’m usually really careful about typos in Japanese (and in English for that matter) but this one got through and yes, it really messed me up! Thank you for pointing it out! Thank you!

From the anime - but in the anime they leave out the 別れる前に bit.

27%20-%20Edited

Wow, despite my mistake, I’ve learnt something here which I feel is good to know!

Thank you so much again! :+1:

1 Like

You’re welcome - in that case I feel the need to expand a bit. You probably know this, but I say that grammatically the sentence ends there because the next word is also a verb. If it was a noun that wouldn’t necessarily be the case. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you again! :smiley: :+1:

1 Like

Page 14

I know that もー 運転中によそ見しちゃダメじゃん means "don’t look away [from the road] while you are driving, but I’m not sure about a couple of things…

1. what is the しちゃ doing here? Is it a form of する?
  2. I think that じゃん is a version of じゃない, is that right? Does だめじゃない mean “don’t”?

Page 15

• やっぱカメラは私が持っとく
  • what is that とく ending?
  • Is it a casual form of ておく (to do something in advance)?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer!