大海原と大海原 ・Wadanohara and the Great Blue Sea Volume 3 Off-Shoot Club Chapter 1 Thread

Welcome to the Wadanohara Off-Shoot Book Club for Volume 3 Chapter 1 Thread!

This book club is for people who want to continue reading Wadanohara, which we started with the absolute beginners book club.
The homethread for the first volume is located here-> Volume 1 Homethread
The homethread for the second volume is located here-> Volume 2 Homethread
The homethread for the third volume is located here-> Volume 3 Homethread

Volume 3 Summary

Long-awaited by fans all over the world! The creator himself made a comic of the undersea pure love RPG !!

The Sea Empire, the birthplace of the sea witch “Wadanohara”, has been invaded by the Totsusa Empire. But when the Princess of the Sea Empire is attacked by the Princess of the Usagi Empire, she is forced to fight back - but after much thought, the two are reconciled.
Far away, Samekichi, a former familiar of Wadanohara, is thinking: “I’m sure I’ll be able to protect you.”
What is the true meaning of Samekichi’s thought?
Now, all the truth will be revealed.

Schedule

Start Date Chapter Page Numbers Page Count
Feb 5th Chapter 1 2 to 32 31
Feb 12th Chapter 2 36 to 56 21
Feb 19th Chapter 3 60 to 86 27
Feb 26th Chapter 4 90 to 118 29
Mar 5th Chapter 5 122 to 148 27
Mar 12th Chapter 6 152 to 174 23
Mar 19th Chapter 7 178 to 196 19
Mar 26th Chapter 8 200 to 226 27
Apr 2nd Chapter 9 230 to 250 21
Apr 9th Chapter 10 254 to 280 27
Apr 16th Last Chapter 284 to 320 37

There are two bonus pages at the end of each chapter, which I did not include in the page count.

Please note: There are no page numbers, so I simply assigned them starting from the first page.

Where to read the book

This volume is ONLY available online at pixiv.net. Here are the links to all chapters:

Vocab

大海原と大海原 Vocab

RULES, How to contribute to this vocab sheet: The more people contribute to the vocab sheet the more helpful it is for everyone, so please don’t feel shy about adding to it!

Participants

How is your reading going?
  • I’m reading with the schedule
  • I’m a bit behind
  • I’m gonna catch up later
  • I’m no longer reading

0 voters

2 Likes
Don't read this until you've finished the chapter

I wanted to add some explanation to this line of dialogue because it contains some implications that are fairly easy to miss.

Supposedly, the well-known Japanese author Natsume Soseki coined the phrase 月が綺麗ですね as a subtle way to say ‘I love you’. The story goes that he was working as a English teacher, and a student translated the English phrase ‘I love you’ into 君を愛す, which is a much more literal translation. Soseki said that 月が綺麗ですね (usually translated as 'the moon is beautiful [tonight], isn’t it?) would be a more fitting translation, since it was much more subtle and therefore more Japanese.

However, much like the story about George Washington chopping down the cherry trees, there’s no evidence this actually occurred and it appears to be basically an urban myth. Still, because the story has been so widely circulated, people will still sometimes recognize the ‘I love you’ meaning of 月が綺麗ですね, much like how people associate George Washington with honesty because of the cherry tree story. (Although it’s not really recommended to actually try using 月が綺麗ですね to say ‘I love you’ in real life, because there’s a decent chance it’ll fly right over the person’s head.)

Anyway, the point is that maybe Syake-san’s making a literal statement about the moon…or maybe he trying to subtly tell Wadanohara ‘I love you’. Keep that in mind as you read.

In summary:

7 Likes

Thanks to whomever filled out the vocab sheet! :pray: It was super helpful! (I honestly think I couldn’t have finished the chapter without it :smile:) I only realised there are no Furigana when I started reading the chapter…

I have still a few questions though:

Page 11

I’m not really sure I can follow Tousa-Hime’s train of thought here. I believe first Tousa-Hima says: Since previously, Umi-chan came to my place to visit… (Why is she saying that? Is that also evidence of Umi-Chan being mean?) Then Tousa-Hime goes on: Hm? Attack? Hofuru, what did you instruct? To which Hofuru answers: No, princess, I did nothing (or: from my side, nothing)
How does the first sentence relate to the the others?

Page 23

Well, as always, Memoka has me puzzled :sweat_smile: I’m not sure if I’ll ever get used to his speech patterns :joy: So here is my best guess:

一体全体どうなってんの: What the heck happened?!

うちのお国と兎津叉が和解ってほんと?!: Did our home country and the Tousa truely reconciliate?!

滄海の遺珠はあんなことになっちゃうし…: About the blue sea pearl, The reason for this… But honestly, here I’m really not sure what Memoka is implying and how the sentence could go on. So any help here would be greatly appreciated.
Another question: Is Memoka using って because he only heard the information, but hasn’t confirmed it himself?

Page 28

First: Very scary picture… :no_mouth: Second: about 言わなかったんじゃない 言えなかったんだよ. Am I correct to assume that the use of じゃない is to confirm what has been said and as a negative? So a possible translation would be: I didn’t tell you, right? I couln’t tell you. For the sake of protecting you (Wadanohara).
Also: Am I correct to assume that even though the Dolphin knew who the traitor was and didn’t tell Wadanohara, they are not an enemy of Wadanohara? So the Dolphin doesn’t work with the enemy right?

Thanks!

3 Likes
Page 11

My understanding is that the first sentence is connected to what Tousa-hime says at the end of the previous page. There, Wadanohara explains that Tousa’s empire has been attacking them, and she replies that this is the first time they have come. She continues this train of thought and adds “Previously it was Umi-hime who came visit me at my place (so I have never really come here before)”. Only then she realizes that Wadanohara had used the word 攻撃, and ask Hofuru about it.

So, that first sentence is not really something she says as evidence of Umi-hime being mean, just to the fact she has never visited (much less attacked) Umi-hime’s empire.

Page 23

Yes. Literally this says “how on earth have things come to be (like this)?”

From how I see it Memoka is confused and is trying to ask questions in a flustered fashion. 滄海の遺珠はあんなことになっちゃうし would be “The blue sea pearl has become like that (as in, broken)” The し at the end indicates that this phrase is being mentioned as the reason for something. Memoka find a discrepancy between the fact that the two countries have reconciled but the pearl has been destroyed - the reason for the latter doesn’t add up with the former.

I don’t think Memoka finishes the sentence because they were all leading to the question already asked at the start (“what’s happening!?”), so there’s no need to repeat it there.

Yes, Memoka is quoting what he’s heard.

Page 28

Before he says this, Shakesan says:

So, to make things clear, he’s talking about Samekichi (その鮫 - that shark) - not about himself.

言わなかったんじゃない 言えなかったんだよ

言わなかった => he didn’t tell
言わなかったん => ん is the abbreviation of の, and turns the previous phrase into a noun. “The fact that he didn’t tell”
言わなかったんじゃない => It is not the fact that he didn’t tell.

言えなかった => He couldn’t tell
言えなかったん => The fact that he couldn’t tell
言えなかったんだよ => It’s the fact that he couldn’t tell.

Putting them together is more natural English: “It’s not that he didn’t tell you, it’s that he couldn’t tell you”.

I am slightly confused by “Dolphin” in your sentence, since one of Wadanohara’s familiar is a dolphin (ドルピー), but I guess you mean this scary dolphin with the (bleeding?) eye and tentacles (Shakesan). As I mentioned, he’s talking about Samekichi, not himself, so Samekichi is the one who wouldn’t be a traitor. Shakesan is definitely a traitor.

7 Likes

Thanks for you answers! They were very helpful!

ah, yes, I indeed meant the bleeding scary dolphin, I just couldn’t remember his name… :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Summary of this chapter:

(art by j_stocky on twitter)

5 Likes

I just put up the thread for Chapter 2!

2 Likes