大海原と大海原 ・Wadanohara and the Great Blue Sea Volume 2 Off-Shoot Club Chp 10 Thread

Welcome to the Wadanohara Off-Shoot Book Club for Volume 2!!

wada2

This book club is for people who want to continue reading Wadanohara, which we started with the absolute beginners book club.
The homethread for the first book is located here-> Book 1 Homethread

Volume 2 Summary

Long-awaited by fans all over the world! The creator himself made a comic of the undersea pure love RPG !!

The witch “Wadanohara” has returned to her hometown of the sea with her familiars. However, the former familiar “Samekichi” stands in front of her. A cute but sad and a little dark story that is spun on the sea is complete.

Schedule

Start Date Chapter Page Numbers Page Count
Nov 20th Chp 8 7 to 24 18
Nov 27th Chp 9 27 to 44 18
Dec 4th Chp 10 47 to 64 18
Dec 11th Chp 11 65 to 80 14
Dec 18th Chp 12 81 to 98 18
Dec 25th Chp 13 101 to 118 18
Jan 8th Chp 14 119 to 138 20
Jan 15th Chp 15 139 to 156 18
Jan 22nd Chp 16 157 to 180 24
Due to holidays I scheduled 2 weeks for chapter 13!
There is a bit of bonus manga at the end again.

Where to Purchase the Book

Digital

Bookwalker (currently you can get 300 coin back until 10-27-2021 JP time)
Amazon JP

Physical
Manga Republic (copies will be very limited and shipping can take a bit)

Vocab

Volume 2 Home Thread

How’s Your Reading Going?
  • I’m ahead of the schedule
  • I’m reading with the schedule
  • I’m a bit behind
  • I’m reading at my own pace

0 voters

1 Like

@Wizz here is the thread sorry for the delay! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Thanks @bearytoast! The reason I realized it wasn’t up yet, is because I finished this week’s chapter super-early! :muscle: (Fighting scenes certainly helped with speed!) So I wanted to post my questions before I forget them! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

So here we go: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Page 51

S51_1
What does しけた島 mean? I know that 島 is island (thank you Wanikani). But I was unable to find a translation for しけた. I did find 時化, which can mean poor turn-out; recession. So I was wondering if it probably means deserted island. Could that be a possible translation?

Another question regarding page 51:
S51_3
What そうと mean? First, I thought it is probably そう + と (used as quotation particle) (translated as: so you said or what you said), but in that case the sentence would be missing a verb like 言う. Jisho also list そう as appearing that; seeming that; looking like; having the appearance of​, but to me that does not make sense here… Any suggestions?

Page 53

Page 53

I’m a bit lost on the second part. What I have so far:
下手に近づくのは: Regarding the unskillfully approaching (them)
やめたほうがよさ: I better stop
そうだな: again そう. I would translate it as that in this context
My translation would be: I better stop carelessly approaching them.
What I don’t understand: The author chose to start a new line after が. If I then look for the meaning of よさそうだな, I find that it means looking good; sounding good; (of) good appearance​. That would then make ほう the subject of the sentence. So: The method is good looking. But we still have やめた left, so: The method stopped to be good looking? Any thoughts or suggestions how to correctly break down this sentence?
My second question regarding page 53

用心しねーとな: Does this mean If am not careful? Is しねー actually しない?

Page 60

Page 60

Here I’m again not sure about my sentence breakdown:
喋らぬと: not talking and と used as quotation particle
言う: to say
なら: if
My full translation: If you say you’re not talking, (I will tear you apart right here and now).
It’s a bit wierd to me that フカミ doesn’t just say: If you’re not talking, … (so just: 喋らぬなら). Is it not possible to word it like that in Japanese?

This week also threw me off with all its sounds. :sweat_smile:

Sound-related questions

Is this a sound or a word meaning bad outcome? Could it be translated to crap?

S57_1
Again: word or sound? :face_with_raised_eyebrow: If word: what does it mean?

S57_2
How do I even read this? :sweat_smile: ビシサリ? And what kind of sound is this supposed to be? Splattering blood?

Is this supposed to be a grrr sound?

Thanks in advance! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes
Page 51

I am not sure, but what seemed to make the most sense to me was that it came from 時化る that means “to be stormy”. So シケた島 would be “Stormy island”.

I have no idea about that そうと分かれば dialogue…

Page 53

That’s my understanding of that panel too, yes.

This comes from the grammar pattern ~たほうがいい (it’d be better to~).

ほうがいい => it’d be better to
ほうがよい => alternate way to say いい.
ほうがよさそう => it looks like it’d be better to. This is the same change you can do with other i-adjective (e.g., 高い => 高そう expensive => seemingly expensive / expensive looking).

いい is slightly irregular and you can’t say いそう, that’s why it turns into よさそう

So the translation becomes:

“It appears it would be better if I stop carelessly approaching them”

Yes. ねー can be used informally as ない

用心しねーと(いけない) => I must be careful / I need to be careful.

Page 60

That is my interpretation too.

I am not sure if it’s possible, but for what it’s worth, I don’t think I’ve ever seen なら connected to ぬ. Maybe it would need to be 喋らぬのなら…

Sound effects

Well, it has the nuance of a bad outcome, yes. Jisho & co translate this as “darn it!” or “oh no”. You could translate it to “oh crap”, but that would be further away from the original meaning, but considering in English we use “crap” in that sense, I think it fits.

It’s a coughing sound.

It’d be read as びしゃ. If I remember correctly, the little ッ at the end make the sound end abruptly (sort of the opposite of ー that would elongated the sound).

And yes, it’s a splashing sound:

My impression was that it was related to the stinging of the pain, but now that I’m searching for it, it doesn’t seem so. Closest thing I can find is ぎちぎち, the sound of scraping, so maybe that’s the sound of him rubbing his forehead? I’m not sure.

3 Likes
page 51

I think it means “gloomy island” rather than “deserted island”, since the island is an island full of gravestones and 「しけた顔」is a way to say that someone “looks glum”.

For the second part, you’re correct that it’s そう + と.

The verb that と is connecting to is 分かる, which is conjugated here in ば conditional form to make an in-then statement.
In the panel right before that, Wadanohara says:
Basically, she’s describing where she thinks the stone’s location should be based on the presence of the caves she’s just observed. Then Memoca’s saying “If we know that (how to get there), we’re going there right away!”

page 60

Unlike 言う, しゃべる can have a connotation of telling a secret or giving up information, like how if police officers say they want to get a suspect “to talk”, they’re saying they want to get specific information out of them, not just have a general chat. So I think Fukami is trying emphasize the scenario of Samekichi specifically saying he refuses to give up the information that Fukami wants to know, rather than just Samekichi not saying anything in general.

5 Likes
Page 51

What is the meaning of わけ here? Is it even 訳 or is it something else?
I don’t feel like その石はどこにある is modifying わけ, it feels more like a sentence ender somehow since I’m pretty sure the sentence is something like “So, as for that stone, where is it?”.

Page 63

Too much hiragana and no kanji makes me a dull boy

I get that といけないみたい is “seems like we must not…” but no clue what どうにかしない means.

I can’t parse this sentence at all, anyone has a better idea?

1 Like
page 51

Yes, it’s 訳. It’s the same word, just written differently. わけだ is actually it’s own grammar point - there was another post on this back in the Chapter 9 thread linking to this article about it. But basically, when わけ is used at the end of the question, it means the speaker is trying to confirm some kind of guess or reasoning they made based on the context of the conversation. It’s a little similar to のだ. In this case, I think is asking something among the lines of “So where is the stone? (because it’s somewhere around here, right?)” I might be wrong about that, though.

page 63

どうにか = somehow, one way or another
しないといけない = must do (ないといけない is a grammar point equivalent to なければいけない or ないくてはいけない)
The second speech bubble says “it seems like we need to deal with these guys somehow.”

5 Likes

New thread is up! Link in the schedule.

Finally finished chapter 10! At least 11 is a little shorter? :sweat_smile:

I think my main questions were already answered here, so thanks as always for the discussion!