Week 8 Jun 27th 124 55% [End of section 2] 16
Week 9 Jul 4th 141 63% どうしたらいい? 17
Week 10 Jul 11th 157 72% [End of section 5] 16
Week 11 Jul 18th 172 79% 服に関してはなかなか思い通りにはいかなかった。 15
Week 12 Jul 25th 186 86% 彼らの話は続いた。 14
Week 13 Aug 1st 199 92% [End of section 9] 13
Week 14 Aug 8th 210 98% [End of 風の古道] 11

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtjovahs_witness:

Member List

Set your participation status here.

Proper Noun Readings

Name Reading
いずみ Left as an exercise to the astute reader
裕司 ゆうじ
9 Likes

Are you planning to read 夜市 with the book club?

• Yes
  • Yes, but I might start late
  • Not sure
  • No

0 voters

If so, which version will you be reading?

• eBook
  • Paperback

0 voters

1 Like

2 days left! :open_mouth:

Learned all the frequency 3 words on floflo but still have some frequency 2 words left. I was debating on whether I should add them or not but with WK slowing down I realized I’m too addicted to SRS and couldn’t help myself :joy:

2 Likes

I know, right :joy: The thread is a bit calm for now, but at least we have a reasonable amount of people who said they will read along :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Oh man, we’re that close already? I don’t feel prepared, haha.

3 Likes

Oh boy did May really creep up quickly. I totally didn’t have it on my radar that this was starting this weekend. Looking forward to reading with you all!

4 Likes

Hi, everyone! This is my first time participating in the book club. よろしくお願いします!

10 Likes

Well, this is it. The first week is go!
As usual, it’s more convenient for me to post the thread on Friday evening, so do not panic, and feel free to only start reading tomorrow.

5 Likes

I wanna join but I also haven’t completely given up on catching up to 獣の奏者…WHAT DO I DO??1?

1 Like

This week’s reading is short (7 pages). Just give it a go? :wink:

3 Likes

What Japanese level is considered intermediate?
I went ahead and bought the book because my teachers said I need to start reading native content (outside the texts in class). I’m working on N3 level grammar, and study a lot of vocab+kanji outside of WK because of language school… still super intimidated on attempting an actual book though. :weary::sob:

4 Likes

Wow, this was perfect timing… Between furlough and no more lessons, I was looking around for a book club to join, and this one starts tomorrow. Just bought the ebook on Honto!

5 Likes

I know the feeling. But you won’t be on your own! Feel free to ask any question about grammar or vocabulary you may have. That’s what the threads (and the club) are for!
Also, the book is made of two short stories, so it won’t take too long to reach the end of either, if that feels less intimidating.

4 Likes

Second week is here.
Page count is slowly ramping up to 12 this time and we will hit cruising speed next week.

6 Likes

This week, things are getting real. (Maybe; at least the speed is).

5 Likes

Based on the last line of the week, some Chekov’s gun is about to get fired.

3 Likes

The penultimate week of this story! For once, there seems to be no spoiler in the last sentence of the week.

7 Likes

Last week of the first story. It’s kinda surprising that the titular story of the book is taking less than half of it, but I guess it happens?

6 Likes

I must confess I’ve been reading a pirated copy for the last few weeks, but my physical version just arrived (along with two more books by the same author; really enjoying his style) and it’s surprising how much more there is to go! I guess since we’re reaching the end of the titular story I expected us to be closer to the end of the book overall, not that I’m complaining.

1 Like

Yes, it also surprised me when making the schedule that the titular story was less than half of the whole book… I guess it was made this way since it’s the more popular of the two? But if that’s the case, it’s a bit worrying for the remainder of the club :sweat_smile:

6 Likes